Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F type fuse box question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default F type fuse box question

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum so big hello to all members ......!!

Here's my story so far ..... I bought an accident damaged f type coupe a few weeks ago - lightish front end damage (unrecorded) ..... couldn't resist it as a challenge to get back on the road .... it's a 2016 3.0 s AWD model. Airbags have deployed.

So far, I have had the airbags replaced / wheels refurbished and it's presently at the body shop having new bonnet / light and bumper fitted and painted.

I'm likely going to need some assistance with the electrics and hope that you guys might be able to help me ..... the car doesn't start at the moment and I believe this to be electrical .... ecu related perhaps

My first question is regarding the fuse box under the bonnet (U.K. Passenger side) ...... fuse number F17 which the manual refers to as engine management system is there, but there is just one prong that it clips into ??? ... I've taken the top off the fuse box to see if the prong had been pushed into the box but no sign of it !!?? I wondered if somebody with a 2016 model car might just have a look in their fuse box and tell me if it has 2 prongs ( i know that the box was changed in 2016 and that the 2015 and earlier cars don't have this fuse )

Just seems weird ....

Any advice would be appreciated ..... and I will doubtless have some other questions as I get this beauty back on the road.

Many thanks

Old 02-14-2017, 03:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I have the time I will look under the bonnet tonight.

Does the car have power or is nothing working at the moment?

If not all equipment is in place on the canbus side your car wont start, so this means even if one of the seats is not in the car or not connected the engine wont start.

Where you able to get the airbag ECU crashdata wiped or did you replace the Airbag ECU and had it reprogrammed the dealer?
If the Airbag ECU is not in the car (or not programmed) your car wont start. So if you have had a new airbag ecu placed but its not programmed yet I think your egnine wont start.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:30 AM

Hi - The ECU is presently away for the crash data wiping - I realise that it could have prevented the car from starting but just wondered about the fuse box anomaly I described .......

The car dash will light up - but in order to do so, I need to place the smart key at the bottom of the dash board - It just confused me when I checked the fuses and saw the F17 fuse sat in just one prong ie not connected???

Surely that can't be right ..... I'd appreciate it if you get a chance to have a look at yours to check ....

Many thanks!

Old 02-14-2017, 03:55 AM

Could you make a picture of that fuse and its connections? So I know what I am looking for?

Dont get your hopes up with wiping the crashdata out of a 2016 airbag ECU....
To what company did you send your ECU? I tried airbagteam and 3 different companies in NL and none was able to reset the crashdata. ended up with a new ECU that was placed and programmed at the dealer.
Also make sure if the company cannot wipe the crash data they leave the ECU in its original state, if they corrupt the data then you can tow your car to the dealer to get a new one fitted.

The following users liked this post:
Allygee928 (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 05:26 AM

Hi,

Yes - airbag team couldn't reset the ECU so its presently with airbagreset.com ...... The guy there is really helpful and has told me that the module has a new chip which his existing programmer can't read ....

He is comtemplating upgrading his programmer to future proof his business and if he does that, the new programmer should be able to repair the chip .... fingers crossed .....

I'd imagine a new chip and reprogram would be best part of £500 if he cant clear the data ....

I cant get a picture of the fuse box today as the car is at the bodyshop ...... but essentially fuse F17 only has a terminal missing where it slots in ... Its a 5A fuse in the passenger side (UK) fusebox under the bonnet ......

many thanks

Old 02-14-2017, 05:55 AM

Got the same story regarding the programmer but lets hope yours is able to perform the whipe.
I made sure the ECU was easy to access for the dealer, they charged me around 275 euro for the ECU, 80 euro for programming and 100 euro laybor. so close to the 500 yes.

Do you have equipment to scan the car for errors? I got my hand on a used original da-dongle j2534 vci (60 euros) and build myself a SDD virtual machine to be able to diagnose the car. Can save a lot of money in stead of getting the car scanned by the dealer, escpecially when working on a damaged car. Original Da-Dongle is only around 180 pound so I think already a good investment for your 'Challenge' .

Old 02-14-2017, 06:36 AM

Thanks for the advice regarding the scanner - I can see them on ebay for around the £100 mark ...... Ill get onto that ......

If you do get a chance to look at the F17 fuse (diagram of which one it is, is in the vehicle handbook) I would be indebted to you ....... !! Its really bugging me that I have only one terminal in there for one side of the fuse ..... So, either its a dead circuit or something is wrong!

Many thanks for your help so far ....

Old 02-14-2017, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Could it be just a "extra fuse storage compartment"?

Old 02-14-2017, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

No one has mentioned the most obvious culprit in this scenario, unless I have missed something. You say the car won't start and that you suspect that the problem is electrical. But in most cases of a car being involved in an accident, and certainly one severe enough to deploy the airbags, the most likely cause for the non-starting is the automatic fuel cut-off switch! Unless this is reset, the car will not start. Have you checked this?

I do not have an F-Type (yet) so I cannot say for certain where this switch is on your car but on many Jaguars it is found in the boot area behind the right hand side panel; in others it is in the right hand footwell area.

Allygee928 (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 06:14 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the advice everybody ....... I'm told that the F-Type doesn't have an inertia switch in the traditional sense - but wont start if the electrics arnt 'right' ...... The car wont turn over or attempt to start at the moment .... Im led to believe that if it has such a switch, it is 'electronic'?

Interesting comment from TonCoronel that the car wont start if all items arnt plugged into the wiring loom ...... I had a missing headlight until recently (would that affect it?) AND also, the ABS module had 'melted' the plug and body of the unit after the impact (it must have shorted out) ...... I have sourced a replacement ABS module from a breaker - right model (its from a 2016 car) ..... and maybe when this is connected to the loom it will make a difference? ..... Just a bit worried that it might need VIN coding (does anybody know for sure?) and not sure that is possible if its a write only once unit ..... We shall see .....

If that is the case, Im hoping the circuit board for the unit could be transferred from the old unit to the new one .....

What's the thoughts on that ...... The car is shortly due back from the body shop, so I'm keen to crack on with the electrical work which I know needs attention and will need someone with the 'right' knowledge to piece it together .....

Many thanks

Al

Old 02-15-2017, 06:49 AM

I managed to get a photo of the 'one prong' socket in the fuse box showing which fuse opening it is .... It's a 5A fuse that sits in there but its not connected to a full circuit ......

Anybody had a chance to look in there 2016 F-Type ???

Attached Thumbnails F type fuse box question-1.jpg   F type fuse box question-2.jpg  
Old 02-15-2017, 07:02 AM

Sorry I was unable to check the fuse last night, wont be home today so maybe tomorrow, it does look a bit strange on the photo, I assume you checked the other fuses in that fusebox to see if they do have 2 sprongs?

Headlights wont keep the car from starting. Missing airbags, crashsensors etc wont keep the car from starting either by the way. Its only the equipment that is connected to the canbus system.

I removed my interior to replace the dashboard and when everything was put back into place the last item was the drivers seat, I left that out because I wanted to access the Airbag ECU, at that moment the car didnt start. Only untill the cabling from the seat was connected(it has canbus connection) the car started.
The Airbag ECU is also part of the canbus system so when thats not connected again the car wont start.
I assume the ABS system is also part of the canbus system but am not certain.

Old 02-15-2017, 08:43 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

You may find this interesting/intimidating in regards to the vehicle networks in the F-type...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e6fp29b26h...works.pdf?dl=0

Allygee928 (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Allygee928
I managed to get a photo of the 'one prong' socket in the fuse box showing which fuse opening it is .... It's a 5A fuse that sits in there but its not connected to a full circuit ......

Anybody had a chance to look in there 2016 F-Type ???
your fuse socket looks exactly like mine.

Allygee928 (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 12:39 PM

Thank you - Good to know that you have an unconnected one prong fitted fuse like me .... Seems strange - must be a spare circuit I'm guessing .....

The dropbox pdf vehicle networks file is interesting - thank you for that also !! ..... From the pdf, it looks like my broken / presently unconnected ABS module is part of the no start issue .......

Thanks again .....

Old 02-21-2017, 07:07 AM

Any news on your problem?

Old 02-21-2017, 11:54 AM

I'm still waiting for the abs unit to arrive ..... car is still in for bodywork and should be back in next couple of days ...... so I'm hoping to have the abs unit and the car back to start on the electrics ......

just a bit worried why the abs burnt out during its collision ..... it burnt out where where the plug from the loom connects to the module ..... melted it all! I will do some checking of the wiring before installing the new module ....... and post progress as it happens

Old 02-21-2017, 12:24 PM

And what about the airbag ECU?

Old 02-22-2017, 06:18 AM

Had problems getting the airbag Ecu reset as it's such a new model ...... the company that was trying to update its software have been unsuccessful so I'm now looking at a new Ecu and reprogramme.

I spoke to an independant about the abs unit and they confirm that this will need coding to the car ..... and that my second hand unit (that i bought) might not be recordable ..... does anybody know if this is the case ??

Old 02-22-2017, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Allygee928
Had problems getting the airbag Ecu reset as it's such a new model ...... the company that was trying to update its software have been unsuccessful so I'm now looking at a new Ecu and reprogramme.

I spoke to an independant about the abs unit and they confirm that this will need coding to the car ..... and that my second hand unit (that i bought) might not be recordable ..... does anybody know if this is the case ??
This is probably the case. In recent years, there has been such a large rate of airbag thefts that a number of manufacturers have built in controllers that are uniquely coded to a car. If the module were reprogrammable, it would defeat the purpose of the unique code. If the original module is toast, you probably need to buy a new one from Jag, and have a dealer do the original (and only) coding for you.