F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type Manual clutch problem.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 04:22 AM
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default F Type Manual clutch problem.

I do not want to post this. I was a Jaguar brand guy. I have a 67 E Type and once I heard that Jaguar was going to make a manual F Type, I was in. I knew someone at the dealership and got one of the first build slots. My understanding is Jaguar built 2016 F Type manuals in June and July of 15. I built a BRG F Type Roadster S to my exact desire. I received it July 27, 2015.

In 2019, it still does not have 5000 miles. I plan on dying with this car. I noticed a clutch issue when you really laid into first and tried to quick shift into second. If you got over 4000 rpms, pushed the clutch and shifted into second quickly, removed your foot from the clutch and hit the accelerator in one swift movement, the clutch would NOT engage and delay to save sending 380 horses down the drive shaft. It was a cdv valve amongst other nonsense that did this. It initial let the clutch plate slip on the fly wheel and not lock up.

I am 51 and have 6 manual cars. Always my preferred transmission. I have my father's 1977 Ford he special ordered with a manual and it has the same clutch at 166k miles.

The salesmen, who I really liked and was gleefully hoping to sell me more Jaguars in my life, encouraged me to bring it in after I got a clean bill of health on the clutch on my scheduled oil change to show them the "hole" in the clutch. He really wanted me to be 100% happy. I had avoided having this slip happen but missed the snap of 2nd gear launching into the power curve.

I went out with a tech and very lightly made the clutch act as designed with fast acceleration. He was not the impressed. I did it again but with more slip and he saw it then and wanted to try. He got in and began to thrash the car. At one point he had it in 2nd or 3rd gear with his foot off the clutch and the accelerator to the floor. The car was not moving and sounded like a crying cat with all the snaps and crackles from the exhaust. There was smoke and the air stunk of burnt clutch. (I have never burned a clutch and I consider it fighting words). The tech said bring it in next week.

I was mad the tech abused my car but thought there is my new clutch. I had read Jaguar upgraded the clutches and I wanted an upgrade one to cover the hole. I thought it would make total sense that their first clutches were not good and they should take care of the cars out there with the defective clutch. (It appears designed for someone who does not know what they are doing and if their foot slips off the clutch, it saves tgem) I brought the Jaguar back again. I had to go out with a different tech. Same thing. I showed him how it slipped (it was really loose and terribly slippery). He drove it and agreed it was not right.

Next thing I knew I was being asked to sign off on removing the clutch. I asked if this meant they were going to charge me for the clutch. They said they did not know if Jaguar would cover it being a wear part.

I was informed today Jaguar would cover nothing but, good news, I got the 3rd or 4th upgraded version of the clutch. My bill is $3,800.00.

They stated the age of the car was a factor in refusing to cover it. I am still under warranty.

I am an attorney and know an excellent lemon law attorney. I know my remedies. For the life of me, I have no understanding why they are fighting me. My wife just totalled her Audi and we were considering an F Pace. Not now. It will cost Jaguar much more than $3,800 in legal fees to contest this and I cannot imagine a scenario they win.

I love my E Type and F Type. I am a very fortunate man to be able to make this happen. But why do this to a customer? The tech that really wrecked the clutch sat at his desk like a potted plant, with his head buried in his hands and refused to say he even drove it when they informed me I might have to pay for his idiocy. It was not a quiet conversation. He did not even log in the computer that he drove it that day. I pled with the salesman to no avail.

Like the Rolling Stones sung, "trust has been broken and tears must by cried." I will push this as far as possible. I hate to report this but customer relations for an almost $100k car needs to be much better.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

You have a bad dealer that took advantage of you by not doing this under warranty or goodwill. Early MT clutch problems is a documented issue with TSB, Jaguar normally covers clutch and flywheel replacement under warranty. The tech didn't wreck the clutch, it was already broken (and your description matches how to test for slipping clutch). So you are mad at the wrong person.

Read this thread (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...action-158861/) , and If you already paid, I suggest escalating to general manager and complain that you were charged for what should have been recall/warranty work. Make sure to print this: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...18156-9999.pdf

Last edited by SinF; 07-13-2019 at 07:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mwigent (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
You have a bad dealer that took advantage of you by not doing this under warranty or goodwill. Early MT clutch problems is a documented issue with TSB, Jaguar normally covers clutch and flywheel replacement under warranty. The tech didn't wreck the clutch, it was already broken (and your description matches how to test for slipping clutch). So you are mad at the wrong person.

Read this thread (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...action-158861/) , and If you already paid, I suggest escalating to general manager and complain that you were charged for what should have been recall/warranty work. Make sure to print this: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...18156-9999.pdf
+1. This says it all.

Old 07-13-2019, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

All of the above is correct...but don't let this put you off Jaguars. Your car was one with a problem uncovered in real-world-use. The fault for the clutch lies not with Jaguar (although they are the ones finally responsible) but with the firm that designed the transmission/clutch (ZF? or was it Getrag?). Nevertheless there should have been no question at all about this. The clutch was faulty (well known and recognised by Jaguar) and therefore should have been covered under warranty - the only excuse I can think of for the dealer's mishandling of this is that they may never have had to deal with a faulty clutch in these cars. Still, do they not have a telephone to reach further up the chain?

Last edited by sov211; 07-13-2019 at 11:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mwigent (07-13-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
All of the above is correct...but don't let this put you off Jaguars. Your car was one with a problem uncovered in real-world-use. The fault for the clutch lies not with Jaguar (although they are the ones finally responsible) but with the firm that designed the transmission/clutch (ZF? or was it Getrag?). Nevertheless there should have been no question at all about this. The clutch was faulty (well known and recognised by Jaguar) and therefore should have been covered under warranty - the only excuse I can think of for the dealer's mishandling of this is that they may never have had to deal with a faulty clutch in these cars. Still, do they not have a telephone to reach further up the chain?
ZF/Sachs tranny/clutch. Same parent company.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:28 AM
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default So we are clear this is a Metro Detroit dealer

My delivery was July 27, 2015. My VIN is amongst the known detectives. I was told, by the dealer, that I probably at one point had the only manual in Michigan if not the midwest. They speculated the manuals would go to the coasts and would only be special orders. I was pushed that guys like me that insisted it was not a sports car without a manual had to buy one to support the manual. I have a picture with the "Save the Manual" at the Detroit "North American Auto Show in 2015". I was like a 16 year old getting to drive dad's car old Mustang.