F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-type R current mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Default F-type R current mods

Hi y'all. I've been pretty busy as of late so I haven't had the chance to keep u guys updated till now. So anyway, on Tuesday, my trusty mechanic shop, Pinky's Automotive in West Hollywood California, installed my Velocity AP "goodies." First off, I would like to thank the owner, Ralphael at Pinky's Automotive for a job well done. If any of u guys are in the general area, hit them up. Their prices are very reasonable and they know what they're doing. 5 star service for sure. I would also like to thank Stuart and Chris at Velocity AP for designing such superior products and being in contact with us throughout the whole process. Their customer service is 2nd to none. 👍 So these are the goodies I had installed:

1. Velocity AP 200-cell Catalyst
2. Velocity AP Crank Pulley (lower pulley)
3. Velocity AP Stage 2 Tune
4. NGK spark plugs (ILKAR8H6)

No lie, I was very skeptical about how much "louder" the 200-cell catalyst would be. I was so wrong. My 2016 F-type R 'vert is SUUUUUPPPPPEEEEERRRRR LOUD now!!!!! I am thankful that my active exhaust feature is still intact. There are times when you'll want to have it off i.e. when you're next to a cop. 😏 Anyway, as fast as the car felt before, it's considerably faster now! U have to drive it to fully appreciate it, and i certainly do. 👍 All install was fairly straightforward. The most time-consuming was the spark plugs. The flash itself was easy too. U just have to install the program on your PC or laptop and the rest is child's play. I did get a CEL after the flash, but this is common and mine went away after 3 drives. Sometime next week or the week after, I'm taking it back to the dyno to get some official numbers.....

The following users liked this post:
Stuart@VelocityAP (10-02-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by sgvkirbster
Hi y'all. I've been pretty busy as of late so I haven't had the chance to keep u guys updated till now. So anyway, on Tuesday, my trusty mechanic shop, Pinky's Automotive in West Hollywood California, installed my Velocity AP "goodies." First off, I would like to thank the owner, Ralphael at Pinky's Automotive for a job well done. If any of u guys are in the general area, hit them up. Their prices are very reasonable and they know what they're doing. 5 star service for sure. I would also like to thank Stuart and Chris at Velocity AP for designing such superior products and being in contact with us throughout the whole process. Their customer service is 2nd to none. 👍 So these are the goodies I had installed:

1. Velocity AP 200-cell Catalyst
2. Velocity AP Crank Pulley (lower pulley)
3. Velocity AP Stage 2 Tune
4. NGK spark plugs (ILKAR8H6)

No lie, I was very skeptical about how much "louder" the 200-cell catalyst would be. I was so wrong. My 2016 F-type R 'vert is SUUUUUPPPPPEEEEERRRRR LOUD now!!!!! I am thankful that my active exhaust feature is still intact. There are times when you'll want to have it off i.e. when you're next to a cop. 😏 Anyway, as fast as the car felt before, it's considerably faster now! U have to drive it to fully appreciate it, and i certainly do. 👍 All install was fairly straightforward. The most time-consuming was the spark plugs. The flash itself was easy too. U just have to install the program on your PC or laptop and the rest is child's play. I did get a CEL after the flash, but this is common and mine went away after 3 drives. Sometime next week or the week after, I'm taking it back to the dyno to get some official numbers.....
Will be interesting to see the difference ... now you won't be able to hear the supercharger whine over the exhaust.

With the eventuri installed I can really hear it with the exhaust set to quiet and still can hear it when pushed hard with the exhaust open.
Lawrence

Old 10-01-2017, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Will be interesting to see the difference ... now you won't be able to hear the supercharger whine over the exhaust.

With the eventuri installed I can really hear it with the exhaust set to quiet and still can hear it when pushed hard with the exhaust open.
Lawrence
Very true. With exhaust on, very little else can be heard. But with exhaust off, supercharger whine is very prevalent.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question

Hi,

I am new to the forum as a member, although I have followed it for a while. I have 2017 Type-R and I was curious in some of mods that you had done.. more specifically the AP 200-cell Catalyst and the Tune.

I have seen videos on the AP 200-cell Catalyst but it’s difficult to tell on a video how it sounds. I live in Hollywood, not too far away from the shop where you got your mods done. I was hoping if you are ever in the area and don’t mind, if I can meet up with you I hear your car.

I am just trying to make sure, it’s not loud to a point that I should prep myself for divorce. Haha

Ali

Old 10-05-2017, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Ali Farzin
Hi,

I am new to the forum as a member, although I have followed it for a while. I have 2017 Type-R and I was curious in some of mods that you had done.. more specifically the AP 200-cell Catalyst and the Tune.

I have seen videos on the AP 200-cell Catalyst but it’s difficult to tell on a video how it sounds. I live in Hollywood, not too far away from the shop where you got your mods done. I was hoping if you are ever in the area and don’t mind, if I can meet up with you I hear your car.

I am just trying to make sure, it’s not loud to a point that I should prep myself for divorce. Haha

Ali
Welcome to our little dysfunctional family Ali. Lol. I live in SGV (San Gabrile Valley). If u can find the time to come out this way, I can definitely show u my ride.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

sgvkirbster,
Are the VAP 200 cell cats C.A.R.B. certified? I had conversed with Stuart recently about 200 cell cats for my XKR, and he said he could fabricate some out of an Aston Vantage California certified unit, but I wasn't aware that there was a unit for the F-type 5.0L engine that was legal in California.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
sgvkirbster,
Are the VAP 200 cell cats C.A.R.B. certified? I had conversed with Stuart recently about 200 cell cats for my XKR, and he said he could fabricate some out of an Aston Vantage California certified unit, but I wasn't aware that there was a unit for the F-type 5.0L engine that was legal in California.
Lol. Sorry to break it to u, but almost nothing is CARB legal. California has the strictest emissions law out of any state. Regardless, I believe it should still pass smog. And even if it doesn't, there's shops out here that will pass u for a little extra fee, if u get what I'm saying. 😉

Old 10-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Yes, I know all about the "if u get what I'm saying" comment as I've taken that route in the past. But, how did you get them to ship it to you, typically the companies won't risk shipping a non-compliant unit to California as it represents too much riskn if they get caught.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Yes, I know all about the "if u get what I'm saying" comment as I've taken that route in the past. But, how did you get them to ship it to you, typically the companies won't risk shipping a non-compliant unit to California as it represents too much riskn if they get caught.
“Offshore” companies aren’t subject to that risk.

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-06-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:01 PM

I ordered all my Velocity AP parts directly through Stuart. No issues whatsoever.

The following users liked this post:
tberg (10-07-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 12:01 PM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by sgvkirbster
I ordered all my Velocity AP parts directly through Stuart. No issues whatsoever.
Can I have his contact info? Ever do a final dyno with all that installed?

Old 10-24-2017, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by sts-v
Can I have his contact info? Ever do a final dyno with all that installed?
Stuart@velocityap.com

I dynoed on a dyno dynamics. Yielded 452 whp. That should translate to about 525 whp on a DynoJet. So the estimate is between 650-670 crank HP.