Jaguar F-Type Review: A Sports Car Better Than Porsche? - WSJ.com

Jaguar can match the 911 "step for step."

The following users liked this post:
enderle (11-28-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Bourne
The 911 is a half century old chassis design. Constantly updated, yes but, I would hope that a brand new modern sports car could do BETTER than that. The 911 Carrera variations are not particularly fast cars when it comes to driving all out. In handling courses, such as Laguna Seca, they are slower than the , top Vettes, Mustangs or Camaros, and likely slower than the Cayman, as well. In power courses, such as VIR the regular 911 gains some but, still not top notch. Bruce H posted the historical fast lap-times at VIR yesterday on the XK forum. Link is below. The new F-type V8 will have to match up well against the new GTR, the new ZO6/ZR1 and the likes. The V6 should be measured against the much more modern (than 911) and capable Cayman and Boxter platforms.

As we can see the Jaguar XKR-s and XKR are way down on the historical VIR lap time list but, that is OK because they are GT cars, not all out sports cars. The F-type V8, an all out sports car, would be expected to move quite near the top of this list when tested.

Lightning Lap 2013: Hot Cars, Hot Track, Hot Laps - - Car and Driver

Albert

Old 08-16-2013, 09:29 AM
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
The 911 is a half century old chassis design. Constantly updated, yes but, I would hope that a brand new modern sports car could do BETTER than that. The 911 Carrera variations are not particularly fast cars when it comes to driving all out. In handling courses, such as Laguna Seca, they are slower than the , top Vettes, Mustangs or Camaros, and likely slower than the Cayman, as well. In power courses, such as VIR the regular 911 gains some but, still not top notch. Bruce H posted the historical fast lap-times at VIR yesterday on the XK forum. Link is below. The new F-type V8 will have to match up well against the new GTR, the new ZO6/ZR1 and the likes. The V6 should be measured against the much more modern (than 911) and capable Cayman and Boxter platforms.

As we can see the Jaguar XKR-s and XKR are way down on the historical VIR lap time list but, that is OK because they are GT cars, not all out sports cars. The F-type V8, an all out sports car, would be expected to move quite near the top of this list when tested.

Lightning Lap 2013: Hot Cars, Hot Track, Hot Laps - - Car and Driver

Albert
Albert - I am now to the point where I know that no matter what, you will find something negative to say about Jaguar. And I understand your opinion well since you express it often. Since I know what you will say is negative and that you will say it no matter what and you will say it often and you will say it about things you have no personal experience with I am going to mute you on this forum because it is getting old. But rest assured every time I post something positive I know you will post something negative - I just won't see it. Sorry you are so bitter and I wish you well and that you may find something that makes you happy some day - although I highly doubt it.

The following users liked this post:
New2Jag (11-29-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Albert - I am now to the point where I know that no matter what, you will find something negative to say about Jaguar. And I understand your opinion well since you express it often. Since I know what you will say is negative and that you will say it no matter what and you will say it often and you will say it about things you have no personal experience with I am going to mute you on this forum because it is getting old. But rest assured every time I post something positive I know you will post something negative - I just won't see it. Sorry you are so bitter and I wish you well and that you may find something that makes you happy some day - although I highly doubt it.
No Scott, I am just telling both positives and negatives. It is simply that, as you said, you unconditionally love every one of your Jaguars, regardless their merits, and you do not wish to hear that they also have negatives, some models more than others.

You will find every one of my "negatives" mentioned by professional reviewers, thus it is obvious that those are not only my opinion. If you wish to accept all your Jaguars with their faults and strive for no improvement, you are welcome to your position. I personally love the Jaguar brand and my multiple brand purchases testify to that but, also recognize its faults and mistakes in various models and wish to let it be known that there is room for improvements.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 08-16-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dan Neill is the first and only automotive journalist to ever win a Pulitzer. Great writer.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 345 Likes on 239 Posts

and once again... I LOVE YOU SCOTT BOURNE!!! YEEEHAW!!!!!!

Loth