F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ftype 2014 6S low coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ftype 2014 6S low coolant

Just had my check coolant light go on and needed to add almost half a gallon of the orange antifreeze. My car is do for annual service(so I have not checked level for a year), but was surprised with how low it was.

Anyone have feedback on if this is normal?

Anyone have a repair person in Atlanta they are happy with?

Old 07-10-2017, 01:17 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

Check to make sure the water pump is not leaking. I had this problem with my car. No sign of a leak except an occasional antifreeze smell and then the low coolant light came on. Mine was a very slow leak over time. New water pump solved the problem.

The following users liked this post:
Lovemyftype (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 02:23 PM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Not normal. It is a closed system so there should be next to no loss.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you also guess water pump?

Old 07-10-2017, 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Someone else mentioned they had developed a crack between the radiator top tank and the radiator core, requiring a radiator replacement.

The following users liked this post:
Lovemyftype (07-10-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 07:32 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

No guessing. Coolant leaks, unless they are internal, are fairly easy to find. A pressure tester used properly will likely turn it up. I also think that I remember that coolant shows up with UV light. If my aged memory is correct, using a UV light with a pressure tester should show a leak pretty quickly.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmfan
Check to make sure the water pump is not leaking. I had this problem with my car. No sign of a leak except an occasional antifreeze smell and then the low coolant light came on. Mine was a very slow leak over time. New water pump solved the problem.
Yep, same thing happened with my 2014. My water pump had a very slow leak just like you described. Dealer first pressure tested it and said everything was fine. I came back the next week and told them I still smell coolant ever time I shut the car off. They ended up replacing the water pump which fixed my leak! Check the water pump for a small leak.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue with my 2013 V6S. It was first diagnosed with a failed water pump. So they replaced that.

Then they started finding coolant leaks. I am now six months down the track and I have had the car in my possession for one of those months. It's currently back at the dealership again.

So far it's been back four times for coolant leaks - the most recent one from a hose connecting to the thermostat housing.

They keep pressure testing and sending it back to me saying it's all repaired - then the coolant warning comes on again and it's back on a truck.

I am now seeking legal advice as Jaguar Australia have been absolutely useless. They ignored my first two requests for action and only when I contacted the Director of Sales through LinkedIn did they take any notice at all.

Thank God for a new service consultant at the dealership who is helpful.

I am still trying to get a resolution to a diff that isn't working properly since new. Jaguar assures me it is fine. It's clearly not.

I will never ever buy a Jag again.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:43 PM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

I had the same issue. We virtually have the same car. Wound up being the water pump. Here’s the thread.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...oolant-191343/