F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel (Ron) Type

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 02:40 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
There's no such thing as 'pre-detonation'. It's 'detonation' or 'pre-ignition'. Very different phenomena.

I was referring to the individuals who have consistently used lower than 91 fuel and suffered no ill effect. There is only speculation and theory as to what might happen from others, but no evidence to back it up.

Virtually every car or bike discussion board has the same argument- I've yet to see any cases of unmodified cars driven on the street suffering bona fide damage from use of low octane fuel.

Flame suit on.
actually there is evidence of damage, however the evidence/sample is so small as to be unusable as an effective statistic

Old 01-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by ioneabee
actually there is evidence of damage, however the evidence/sample is so small as to be unusable as an effective statistic
??? I must have missed it, sorry. Could you point me to the specific post?

Old 01-14-2016, 03:24 PM

??? I must have missed it, sorry. Could you point me to the specific post?
I'm not trying to start an argument here .......... your sarcasm is noted

that aside - it was on one of the 350z forums where someone took apart an engine and posted pictures of damage to the pistons allegedly from detonation or pre-ignition - so as stated such a small sample that it can't really be relied upon

Old 01-14-2016, 03:46 PM

No, no sarcasm intended whatsoever. It was a legitimate question looking for some actual evidence. This particular topic comes up almost as frequently as oil and air filter discussions and unfortunately sometimes degrades into nastiness. I choose to post in these topics as the subject is of great interest to me.

I have no doubt that pistons can become damaged (I've fried many myself)- but whether it's actually from detonation on a stock engine driven on the street continues to be an elusive thing to pin down. I've yet to see a genuine case.

The following users liked this post:
deltagroup (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 04:00 PM

No, no sarcasm intended whatsoever. It was a legitimate question looking for some actual evidence. This particular topic comes up almost as frequently as oil and air filter discussions and unfortunately sometimes degrades into nastiness. I choose to post in these topics as the subject is of great interest to me.

I have no doubt that pistons can become damaged (I've fried many myself)- but whether it's actually from detonation on a stock engine driven on the street continues to be an elusive thing to pin down. I've yet to see a genuine case.
I found a thread - What can happen if you run your Zed on 95 Ron..... - 350Z FAQ - 350Z & 370Z UK

Old 01-14-2016, 04:53 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
"...The F-Type does not progressively adjust for varying grades of fuel. It has two distinct sets of ignition and A/F maps (just discovered this over the past few days). It uses the high performance maps when the engine conditions suggest octane in excess of 91(AKI) and a de-tuned map that is (maybe) safely used down to 87 AKI...."
Can you direct me to your source? TIA.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:10 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

"...but whether it's actually from detonation on a stock engine driven on the street continues to be an elusive thing to pin down. I've yet to see a genuine case.
Me neither, Mikey, on a stock engine. Very elusive to pin down for sure. Conservative maps and sensitive knock sensors keep things in check. The cracked pistons and plugs-missing-electrodes cases I can confirm were running aggressive curves, high boost and/or compression, or to quote from Unhingd's earlier post, "silly tuning." <--(Good one.)

Old 01-14-2016, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by deltagroup
Me neither, Mikey, on a stock engine. Very elusive to pin down for sure. Conservative maps and sensitive knock sensors keep things in check. The cracked pistons and plugs-missing-electrodes cases I can confirm were running aggressive curves, high boost and/or compression, or to quote from Unhingd's earlier post, "silly tuning." <--(Good one.)
I liked 'silly tuning' as well. Having said that, the saga posted by ioneabee (thanks for the link )

seems to be a 'plausible' case although there is speculation by the owner that the incorrect heat range of the plugs might be the actual cause- meaning that pre-ignition was the villain and higher/correct octane fuel would not have made any difference.

Also of note, Nissan does place severe restriction on the usage of low octane fuel (<97 RON) by limiting it to essentially emergencies only and restricting the engine to lower revs and load only.

There is also discussion about the knock sensor being deactivated above 5200 RPM which would jibe with the limitations of the manual.

Such restrictions and limitations appear to be only for the Euro market cars- the N.Am versions are tuned for 91 AKI.

Hmmmmm.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by deltagroup
Can you direct me to your source? TIA.
Unfortunately not. The observation came from looking at the OEM maps we pulled off my car a couple months ago (as interpreted by my local tuner).

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-14-2016 at 07:53 PM.