Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Giulia QV Vs. F-Type R

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giulia QV Vs. F-Type R

Hi all,

I'm about ready to part ways with my 2015 BMW M4 and I have it narrowed down to two vehicles that probably don't get cross-shopped often: an Alfa Romeo Giulia QV or an F-Type R. I buy used so I'm looking at 2017 Alfas that are running $60-65k or 2016 Jags that are running $65-70k. I don't really need the rear seats, so practicality doesn't factor into the equation. I've driven them both think they are both amazing in slightly different ways.

Anyone have any thoughts to chime in with? Thanks!

Old 09-08-2018, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

I worked on the Giulia program for 2 years; so if you have any questions specific to it, I can probably answer them.

They really are quite different cars, other than being front engined, RWD. The QV is (and feels) lighter than the R; they're really quite equal in the nimbleness category, but the R is more nose-heavy. The QV does suffer from some turbo lag compared to the R's instant torque at low RPMs. The R interior is a much nicer place to be; better design, better materials, and a more efficient layout. The R infotainment and HMI is very simplistic where the QV can get a touch complicated and appeals more to the tech-savvy driver.

Had the Giulia QV been offered in a manual, I would 100% be driving one of those right now. Just in addition to the F-type.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply - I'm kind of smitten with both cars - perhaps the F-Type feels a little more special? That said, coming from BMW's iDrive (which I think is the best in the industry), I'm a little put-off by the Jag's seemingly outdated interface. Sound quality from the stereo in the Jag seems far superior to the Alfa though...although most I'm sure will say to turn the stereo off in the F-Type R anyway...

Do you find visibility to be an issue in the Jag? Thanks again...

Old 09-08-2018, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

The Guilia could be very tempting if it came in a 2 door format with an MT, otherwise it's just another sedan.

Last edited by Unhingd; 09-08-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 956 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by wj100
Do you find visibility to be an issue in the Jag?
I do (coupe). It's got visibility problems to the rear, but manageable with Vision Package. To the front, I find the A-pillars are wide enough to completely hide a pedestrian or two, so I find myself bobbing and weaving at stop signs and pedestrian crossings. Also manageable, but more irritating because it was not expected when I bought the car. I *did* expect rear visibility to be poor. The inside rear view mirror also blocks the view forward during sharp, uphill right-handers. I have a few of those in my regular travels. Again, I am used to looking around it.

And still, I retain the car. It's just something I've adapted to.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:09 AM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for the reply - I'm kind of smitten with both cars - perhaps the F-Type feels a little more special? That said, coming from BMW's iDrive (which I think is the best in the industry), I'm a little put-off by the Jag's seemingly outdated interface. Sound quality from the stereo in the Jag seems far superior to the Alfa though...although most I'm sure will say to turn the stereo off in the F-Type R anyway...

I recommend research on the infotainment, Critical to me was live traffic (I GT the car and live in the NJ NY tri state area) and it has no capability to do it as it has no SIM card. I’m stuck with a crappy app and traffic via the radio monitoring. I have been caught a few times in REALLY bad traffic that could have been avoided Would have swayed me for sure to another year. There is also issue with the system programming. Many (myself included soon) get the software updates and it appears to help. Not a great system at all. BUT to me it’s just a distraction to the car. It’s wonderful. Highly recommend it!

Old 09-08-2018, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

I would say the F-type is more uncommon, though they are both special in my eyes. You'll often see many base Giulias driving around which could be off-putting, however with Unhinged rolling around Maryland constantly, it might seem like you see F-types all the time too.

Jaguar doesn't have nearly the same amount of resources as BMW to develop an advanced infotainment system, but it is easy to use. iDrive is hardly the best in the industry, however among the luxury sector it is one of the better ones as far as ease of use and reliability goes. Alfa decided against using the Uconnect system, which makes the Jaguar system far superior even given its dated technology. Neither will be what you're used to.

I don't personally have visibility issues, but i am also above 6'.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:57 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I cross shopped these two, but went with the Jag v6 S because of AWD. I drove her all of last winter in minneapolis and it was honestly amazing. Yes I had winter tires, but I would not want to be toting around 500hp in RWD up here in the winter.

I sold my Alfa Spider before getting the Jag, so I have a love of Alfas in general, which led to me cross shopping. It does sound amazing.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I don't personally have visibility issues, but i am also above 6'.
I'm right at 6'. I love the car and only responded because it was specifically asked. I think that visibility is my #1 complaint. Once on the open road I have no issues whatsoever. I work in Berkeley, and people there are prone to stepping into the street without looking, so I pay extra care there.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:21 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I'm right at 6'. I love the car and only responded because it was specifically asked. I think that visibility is my #1 complaint. Once on the open road I have no issues whatsoever. I work in Berkeley, and people there are prone to stepping into the street without looking, so I pay extra care there.
Berkeley? Seems a good opportunity to thin the herd.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Berkeley? Seems a good opportunity to thin the herd.
I live in the Land of Entitlement and the Privileged will step in front of a moving vehicle too. They are obviously more important than I am, and not to be delayed in their leisure. The jogging/walking/biking path between home and the freeway is especially bad. Not willing to use the F-Type for culling, as tempting as it is sometimes.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:34 AM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

The one visibility "complaint" I have - not really a complaint, more a downside when it comes to visibility - is the combination of the A-pillar and mirror, in particular on driver side.
Being 6' as well, and with the seat at my preferred height, the combined width of A-pillar and mirror can hide quite some stuff.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:41 AM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Giulia is cool and different, "what's that?", particularly from the front view.

F Type just has my heart, "oh my it's beautiful", from all angles. I think over time the F Type styling will endure as a modern classic. Just not sure the Giulia would still impact my libido the same way over time.

Have not driven a Giulia so can't compare performance. I do enjoy the F Type's performance and, although I have an AWD, did also really like the RWD when I test drove those back when the car launched.

Have owned several BMW's, wife currently drives an X5 50i and I daily drove a 650 Gran Coupe for 2 years...love their tech. I own the F for the other things it brings to the table and don't daily drive it, got a Hyundai Kona for the commute.

Good luck on making a final determination and please let us know where you end up.

Old 09-08-2018, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by KVO
The one visibility "complaint" I have - not really a complaint, more a downside when it comes to visibility - is the combination of the A-pillar and mirror, in particular on driver side.
Being 6' as well, and with the seat at my preferred height, the combined width of A-pillar and mirror can hide quite some stuff.
+1. The only visibility complaint I have is the driver side mirror/pillar obstruction. I “feel” the car best with the lowest seat setting. (Maybe because it lowers the center of gravity)

Old 09-08-2018, 08:34 PM
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Two completely different types of cars. I can't imagine how or why one would be looking at both of these and trying to decide which to get. If you need a 4 place vehicle, all wheel drive and loads of "giddy yup" there are loads of very nice cars on the market....I do like the Alfa, especially the the 550HP offering. How about an SRT Jeep, they are amazing...throw that in the mix and make it 3 different vehicles to look at!

Old 09-08-2018, 11:46 PM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

If possible you may want to spend more time with both cars. You can ask the dealer if you can take it overnight or you could try to Turo each if you can find them in the DC area. If the decision is that close, spending more time with each car may make things more clear.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:12 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought about both of these cars (Guila QV and F Type R) too. I have an Alfa Stelvio that has been so good that I am considering getting the Guila QV, when the two door is launched.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Just park the two cars next to each other. The answer will become immediately apparent. Also, the Guilia is far less exclusive. Within just the 18 months since the Guilia was introduced, more are on the road now in the US than all the F-Types ever sold here. I see Guilia on a regular basis here in MD. Last time I saw an F-Type (other than mine) anywhere near here was several months ago.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

As good a driving car as Alfas have always been, I am still suspect that they have made a long term committment to the U.S. market. They have come and gone several times before, and wonder whether they'll be here in a few years if market conditions change.

Old 09-10-2018, 12:01 AM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
As good a driving car as Alfas have always been, I am still suspect that they have made a long term committment to the U.S. market. They have come and gone several times before, and wonder whether they'll be here in a few years if market conditions change.
Given all the ups and downs over the years, it does seem like an odd thing to say go with the Jag for reliability, but I think the F type really has proven to be a well built car (albeit with a few minor design shortcomings). And as others have mentioned, the turbo lag and uninspired interior on the Giulia are a turn off for me. Rear quarter visibility is bad in Jag but vision pack with the camera, blindspot warning and parking sensors help tremendously. I've owned lots of cars, but the sound, brutish power, great looks and exclusivity of the F type will make it one I'll want to keep for a long time.

Quick Reply: Giulia QV Vs. F-Type R