F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group Buy - 30% off Velocity AP Exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 3,365 Posts
Default Is it possible there is a break-in period for a muffler?

After a couple weeks now, the sound characteristics of the quad VAP exhaust have changed. With the valves closed the exhaust note has taken on a very well mannered, yet exotic/harmonious tone. At partial throttle, with the valves open, the sound is loud, but a nice deep harmonious note with massive burbles and backfires on deccel (NICE!). Opening the throttle wide, however, is like opening the gates of hell. It seems the sound waves are more organized than they were when the exhaust was first installed. BTW, had to put up with fumes from the fabricating oils burning off the first week.

I now mostly drive with the valves closed, whereas I always had them open before. The loud button is now for very special and remote circumstances.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:17 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,092 Likes on 1,394 Posts

I think many of us noticed the sound changed with time, somehow. There are so many systems on this car that learn, and the driver may change his style based on how the car reacts. Who knows!?

Old 05-12-2018, 09:56 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

I wonder if the sound of the exhaust changes as its used, or do we get used to it and think it different than we remember the first few times we unleashed the ferocious sound of the VAP system?

Old 05-13-2018, 12:30 PM
Received 841 Likes on 476 Posts

The sound tends to change on exhausts initially as they heat cycle. The heat changes the resonant properties of the metal.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 05-13-2018, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
The sound tends to change on exhausts initially as they heat cycle. The heat changes the resonant properties of the metal.
For the better in this case, I have to say.

Old 05-13-2018, 01:13 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Love my sound (SVR with VAP cats) a couple of minutes after startup. This first couple of minutes however is cold, raspy and metallic. Always wondered if wrap or coating would help this ....

Last edited by mlebofsky; 05-13-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

How is the sound of a V6 S with the original exhaust + VAP 200 Cell Sport Catalyst? I have heard that with the standard exhaust it sounds worst.

Does the Sport Catalyst increase a performance?

Old 05-13-2018, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by diplomat
How is the sound of a V6 S with the original exhaust + VAP 200 Cell Sport Catalyst? I have heard that with the standard exhaust it sounds worst.

Does the Sport Catalyst increase a performance?
I tried the 200 cell cats with a prototype set of headers and it made only about 5 more horses and sounded like a chain saw on steroids. Far too raspy to ever enjoy. The header project was abandoned. I can't say for certain whether the racket was caused by the sport cats or by the headers.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:34 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

@Unhinged: any chance of an exhaust video or audio clip?

The setup on my XE is essentially cloned from the F-type from the headers to the axle due to my mods, but axle-back it's still the stock XE boxes. As is, it sounds essentially identical to the stock V6 F-type setup, so I've been told.

Wondering how changing the rear cans would change things though.

Old 05-14-2018, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by alphakinase
@Unhinged: any chance of an exhaust video or audio clip?

The setup on my XE is essentially cloned from the F-type from the headers to the axle due to my mods, but axle-back it's still the stock XE boxes. As is, it sounds essentially identical to the stock V6 F-type setup, so I've been told.

Wondering how changing the rear cans would change things though.
I'm a bit audio/visually challenged. I prefer experiencing life rather than recording it.

I'll try propping the iPhone up on a brick to get some sound (valves open and closed). I guess I could also duct tape the phone to the rear bumper for a couple of trial runs....NOT! lol

Old 05-15-2018, 11:35 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I'm a bit audio/visually challenged. I prefer experiencing life rather than recording it.

I'll try propping the iPhone up on a brick to get some sound (valves open and closed). I guess I could also duct tape the phone to the rear bumper for a couple of trial runs....NOT! lol
Haha, understood. I once put my iPhone in the trunk with the generic apple headphones attached, then duct-taped the mic part to the bumper and closed the trunk. It actually captured the sound quite well.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,598 Likes on 859 Posts

While I love your Zen approach to being in the moment, please do not disillusion those of us who hold you in such high esteem. There ain't nothing you - yes, you (or just "U") - can't do if you put your mind to it.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:56 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

There is no doubt in my mind that with valves open both our systems sound very similar. Not much to affect the sound past the resonator.
Another question (I probably should be asking Stuart)but which of Velocity AP's V8 quad exhaust systems would be the equivalent as your valvetronic exhaust with the valves open? VAP Touring, Sport or Super Sport? All of the pictures look the same so I am guessing the muffler internals are different.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FR500GT
Another question (I probably should be asking Stuart)but which of Velocity AP's V8 quad exhaust systems would be the equivalent as your valvetronic exhaust with the valves open? VAP Touring, Sport or Super Sport? All of the pictures look the same so I am guessing the muffler internals are different.
Here's a hint...with valves open, my exhaust never hits the muffler. The Valvetronic is a Touring/Race level. I believe the progression of decibels is: Touring, Sport, Super Sport, and Race from mildest to wildest.

Old 05-17-2018, 01:34 PM
Received 841 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by FR500GT

Valvetronic with the valves open is essentially straight piped. There is still some gas flow through the muffler section but more pressurization of it. You'll also get some amount of Hemholz affect from gas flowing past that inlet pipe, but fundamentally it would sound very close to straight pipes.

The fixed sound level exhausts are Sport, Supersport and Touring (loudest to quietest) and the Valved systems are all 'Touring' when closed. So if you're looking for something louder than Valves closed on the valvetronic, probably the Sport or Supersport would fit the bill, and would be somewhere between Valves open & Closed.

Are you still running stock cats?

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 05-17-2018, 01:38 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Valvetronic with the valves open is essentially straight piped. There is still some gas flow through the muffler section but more pressurization of it. You'll also get some amount of Hemholz affect from gas flowing past that inlet pipe, but fundamentally it would sound very close to straight pipes.

The fixed sound level exhausts are Sport, Supersport and Touring (loudest to quietest) and the Valved systems are all 'Touring' when closed. So if you're looking for something louder than Valves closed on the valvetronic, probably the Sport or Supersport would fit the bill, and would be somewhere between Valves open & Closed.

Are you still running stock cats?
Yes. Going to call you right now!