F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone driven/compared the base amg gt?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 09:33 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Has anyone driven/compared the base amg gt?

As the title says... Has anyone test driven the base gt?
I'm in a fluid financial situation, but if things go well I could be trying to lease an svr in a couple of months. It would be my third ftype though, so I'm trying to look for something else. The amg gt is pricey, and the only amg I could possibly afford to lease would be the base gt. All the reviews look at the ftype r Vs amg gts, which is hardly fair given that similarly optioned cars have a 30-40k price difference.
So back to my question... I plan to test drive it, but only if I'm serious. Has anyone been on this situation and actually compared the ftype with the base gt?
Thanks!

Old 07-27-2017, 09:35 PM

As with any of my posts, barely educated guesses and any and all opinions are most welcome 😁

Old 07-27-2017, 09:53 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

Thank you for the post as I too am considering an AMG GT. I saw one in Palm Springs last winter and it caught my eye. however, at the same time I am absolutely happy with my F Type.

This is simply about change and while I am in my sixties, every day is a gift and I intend to enjoy the journey. I have not yet researched the lease cost and I expect because they are few, this could be a pricey venture.

As for the "road test" I'll be surprised if I'm disappointed. At the same time, I will not take a deep dive on this unless I am prepared to say, "I'll take it..." Let me (us) know the details if you move forward.

Dave

Old 07-27-2017, 10:52 PM

Cool! Lease prices are pretty terrible TBH. 10k/36 months has a good residual of 61%, but mf is at .002. My guess is the best possible lease atm is at least 1500/ month, compared to 1300 for a svr with a higher msrp.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:21 PM
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

how about looking at a second hand GT-S, you can sometimes find one returned to the dealer with a year or two on them and are in the same price as a new SVR.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

This is the only car I've considered to replace the Jag. But I am a roadster guy and will have to wait awhile for a used one as they haven't even been delivered in US yet.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by abhishriv
how about looking at a second hand GT-S, you can sometimes find one returned to the dealer with a year or two on them and are in the same price as a new SVR.
That's a good suggestion, but in my case I am only considering a lease, so the car must be new.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:22 AM
Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I drove both, ended up with an SVR, for me, the Merc didn't have the sound track that the jag has, and that matters a lot, also it felt heavier and less involved to drive (I also drove the GTs on Abu Dhabi's F1 track at speed) and whilst its immensely fast, at the same track I drove an F-Type V6 which I have to say was more fun. the Mercs cockpit while arguably a bit more luxurious, felt too busy with buttons and switches and too high up, it was almost claustrophobic sitting in there. My decision was swayed a bit on price because the Base AMG convertible is way more than the SVR convertible and to get the equivalent power to an SVR you need the top end one which was considerably more. Also I know a couple of guys with High end AMG saloon cars and still to this day Mercs seem plagued by constant electrical and computing problems, but its a bloody nice car, I just felt the SVR was a better one

Old 07-28-2017, 11:54 AM
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hardwired
That's a good suggestion, but in my case I am only considering a lease, so the car must be new.
hmm then maybe wait till september time frame when they are putting on incentives/discounts to rid of the 17MY stock. my uncle works for MB here in toronto area and thats what he suggested to my dad who was looking at a CLS 550 last year. they will give lower lease rates and incentives for the old stock to be gone.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by abhishriv
hmm then maybe wait till september time frame when they are putting on incentives/discounts to rid of the 17MY stock. my uncle works for MB here in toronto area and thats what he suggested to my dad who was looking at a CLS 550 last year. they will give lower lease rates and incentives for the old stock to be gone.
Interesting... Do you know if that improves or stays steady till the end of the year? Or is September some sort of sweet spot where residuals are still OK?