F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! 2019MY delayed due to updated engine certification

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

Well, it works two ways. Heared that Harley Davidson is moving a share of its production to Europe, Asia and South America,
to avoid the EU 'revenge' tariffs..

Maybe JLR will build cars for the USA in the big BMW plant building the 5-series, which will be idle if the EU imposes tax on USA cars..

In Europe we always thought that one day it would be the USA starting a new world war, like with North Korea, pulling China etc etc..
Didn't expect it to be a tariff war though..

Old 06-25-2018, 10:31 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
Maybe JLR will build cars for the USA in the big BMW plant building the 5-series, which will be idle if the EU imposes tax on USA cars..
If I were to work at BMW, and be subject to a non-disclosure agreement, I would say that such a thing is highly unlikely. I imagine that the Greer plant, where the X5 is produced, is in full swing with the new G05 and G07 launches looming on the horizon.

The following users liked this post:
dmchao (06-26-2018)
Old 06-26-2018, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member

@XxMerlinxX.
They maybe producing as planned, but they produce for europe and the US, If the trade barriers go up, BMW will not be able to sell at a profit those cars outside the USA due to import duties there.
Might well be that due to import duties on other makes coming into the USA, makes them attractive and therefore sell more.. .. its a waiting game ánd a balancing act.

Its a very dangerous game as it de-stabilizes a lot of trading and it might lead to fatalities under complete brands.* But I only know what the media let me know...

Could well be the USA indeed does not put any [import] tax on cars from other countries and I know for sure the EU does. Then maybe, the EU should remove that tax...

Old 06-26-2018, 09:37 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Well, it works two ways. Heared that Harley Davidson is moving a share of its production to Europe, Asia and South America,
to avoid the EU 'revenge' tariffs..

In Europe we always thought that one day it would be the USA starting a new world war, like with North Korea, pulling China etc etc..
Didn't expect it to be a tariff war though..
Here in the USA we always assume that it will not be us that starts the next World War, but it will be us who finishes it!

Old 06-26-2018, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Here in the USA we always assume that it will not be us that starts the next World War, but it will be us who finishes it!
I think thats the core of 90% of the armed conflicts we have around the globe at present.

The USA entered into many wars assuming to end them, but they didn't. They pulled back. Everything after WW2 went sideways.

That is no mistake of the soldiers or army, but politicians. We should go back to what was normal in old Phoenician times : the leaders fight mano-a-mano, not the people...

Old 07-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

My dealer just called me and said car is built, but waiting in England due to pending Trump tariffs, right now they have no ETA but can be up to 3 month wait. Wouldn't they want to sell me the car before the Tariffs hit?

Last edited by KarimEls; 07-03-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:58 PM
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by KarimEls
My dealer just called me and said car is built, but waiting in England due to pending Trump tariffs, right now they have no ETA but can be up to 3 month wait. Wouldn't they want to sell me the car before the Tariffs hit?
Hey Karim, you and I are in the same boat. I heard three different versions from Jaguar:
1. My dealer: "Your 2019 car has been built and is waiting to be shipped from the UK. They will ship it when the engine has been certified in the US. This might take three months."
2. JLR USA (after I gave my order number etc.): "Your car has not been built. We are building some 2019 models but only for showroom purposes. You cannot buy them. What you paid for was a pre-order, we will build your car in the fall after the engine has been certified."
3. Another dealer: "Jaguar is not yet building any 2019 models whatsoever and they will not be built until September."

Despite all this nonsense, I love this car, and have been in love for more than three years now. While I have no confidence in JLR, I will still buy my F Type if tariffs are not put in place before my car clears customs... keep your fingers crossed for me (and a few others), forum friends!

Old 07-03-2018, 08:31 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock
Hey Karim, you and I are in the same boat. I heard three different versions from Jaguar:
1. My dealer: "Your 2019 car has been built and is waiting to be shipped from the UK. They will ship it when the engine has been certified in the US. This might take three months."
2. JLR USA (after I gave my order number etc.): "Your car has not been built. We are building some 2019 models but only for showroom purposes. You cannot buy them. What you paid for was a pre-order, we will build your car in the fall after the engine has been certified."
3. Another dealer: "Jaguar is not yet building any 2019 models whatsoever and they will not be built until September."
#2 and #3 are not true. I’ve got 222 miles on a MY19 R.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pie944

#2 and #3 are not true. I’ve got 222 miles on a MY19 R.
Yep. I actually trust that my dealer is being straight with me (and the others had no clue), although he will not commit to the price if tariffs are put in place before delivery.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:51 PM
Received 81 Likes on 35 Posts

That is no mistake of the soldiers or army, but politicians. We should go back to what was normal in old Phoenician times : the leaders fight mano-a-mano, not the people...
It's funny you say that. I would have liked nothing better than for Kim Jong-un to have Taekwondo-punched Trump into oblivion (or bolivion as Mike Tyson would say).

Old 07-04-2018, 12:50 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been thinking more and more about this, how much money does Jaguar lose building these cars, knowing they are gonna sit somewhere waiting for Trump tariffs, Engine emissions, etc... Also, if trump tariffs are involved (I went back and read his tweet, it seemed to only be about German cars) what are the other Euro manufactures doing? I'm with Brock, I'm in love with this car, it's a weekend joy ride for me and am in no hurry to receive it, other then I wish I could enjoy the thrill of the thing.

One theory I had, and feel free to poke holes in it, but maybe they are waiting for the orders to pile up so they can start the assembly line. Maybe there are so few, it's been retooled to another model, and this is just buying time?

What do you guys think?

Old 07-04-2018, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I've been thinking more and more about this, how much money does Jaguar lose building these cars, knowing they are gonna sit somewhere waiting for Trump tariffs, Engine emissions, etc... Also, if trump tariffs are involved (I went back and read his tweet, it seemed to only be about German cars) what are the other Euro manufactures doing?
Even if the tariffs are applied to German production only, 55% of the F-Type is of German origin and subject to the tariff.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:15 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

I've been thinking more and more about this, how much money does Jaguar lose building these cars, knowing they are gonna sit somewhere waiting for Trump tariffs, Engine emissions, etc... Also, if trump tariffs are involved (I went back and read his tweet, it seemed to only be about German cars) what are the other Euro manufactures doing? I'm with Brock, I'm in love with this car, it's a weekend joy ride for me and am in no hurry to receive it, other then I wish I could enjoy the thrill of the thing.

One theory I had, and feel free to poke holes in it, but maybe they are waiting for the orders to pile up so they can start the assembly line. Maybe there are so few, it's been retooled to another model, and this is just buying time?

What do you guys think?
Shouldn't "trump" be capitalized?

Old 07-04-2018, 08:40 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you. It is an F-Type R, for the US market (I am in NY).
What dealer did you order your vehicle from in NY?

Old 07-04-2018, 08:57 AM
Received 81 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Even if the tariffs are applied to German production only, 55% of the F-Type is of German origin and subject to the tariff.
If the tariffs go into effect, it will be interesting to see how it affects future planning at Jaguar. The company can't do much in the short term besides varying overall production levels and product mix. Planning for future models is where it gets interesting. Do Jaguar hold the course for a couple of years, hoping for a change in the US administration, or do they reevaluate the feasibility of having a low-volume, expensive halo model? This might mean no new F-Type. Small consolation is that tariffs could make used F-Types more desirable, which might slow depreciation slightly.

Old 07-04-2018, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

A tariff is not going to immediately show up on your MSRP. Your car is not waiting for a tariff. And your dealer doesn't pay the tariff. That's not how any of this works.

Yes, it will affect pricing strategy across the brand over time, but part of the calculus is how much of a profit margin hit the manufacturer is willing to take. They still have to price a product to sell.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Jaguar competes with Porsche, BMW and Mercedes. They will all be hit by tariffs. I don't see potential F-type buyers cross-shopping American muscle cars. Some car enthusiasts would, but for a typical F-type owner highly negative hoon image of American muscle is too poisonous.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Nati
A tariff is not going to immediately show up on your MSRP. Your car is not waiting for a tariff. And your dealer doesn't pay the tariff. That's not how any of this works.
Thanks, Nati, I hope you are right. The key issue is who takes the financial hit for cars that have already been priced, ordered and built, but have not crossed US customs... my dealer did not know and would not make any promise. I would welcome anyone with inside knowledge to chip in! This will affect a few of us on this forum...

The following users liked this post:
KarimEls (07-05-2018)
Old 07-05-2018, 12:20 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
l.
That’s exactly right, the Manufacturer, Government or Dealer don’t pay the Tarrifs, the Consumer does. It looks like the Tarriff threat is easing as of now, but JLR have other problems, Brexit. But that’s another ongoing debacle.

Last edited by Uk2usa; 07-05-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:45 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks, Nati, I hope you are right. The key issue is who takes the financial hit for cars that have already been priced, ordered and built, but have not crossed US customs... my dealer did not know and would not make any promise. I would welcome anyone with inside knowledge to chip in! This will affect a few of us on this forum...
let’s say hypothetically the Tarrifs come into effect today, if you’re willing to pay 25% more for your Car, obviously you will be taking the hit. If not, your Dealer will lose a sale, your state won’t be collecting the sales Tax, and that’s just the start. It’s the Domino effect that is so devastating.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! 2019MY delayed due to updated engine certification