F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am finding the seat somewhat uncomfortable - Am I the only one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default I am finding the seat somewhat uncomfortable - Am I the only one?

I have a 2015 V6 S coupe. I’m not sure what trim option brings in the upgraded seats, but I have them. IMO, they look much better than the base seat but does anybody find the upgraded seats a little uncomfortable?

This was only my second day to drive my F-Type and I am learning new things every time I take it for a spin. I have decided that the seats could be more comfortable (for me). The back seems fine to me but it is the actual seat with which I have some problem. The problem I have with its’ comfort is only related to the side bolsters – which, unlike the bolsters on the seat back – are not inflatable/adjustable. My 60 year-old body does not fit entirely between these bolsters, some portions of it sitting almost ON the bolsters. This becomes somewhat uncomfortable in relatively short order. Anyone else dealing with this? Have a solution? (BTW, it certainly has occurred to me that a removable seat cushion is a potential solution. A seat cushion for my sports car! Sigh. Boy, am I getting old.)

Old 11-06-2017, 08:16 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

To answer your question, NO! I have troubles too, I have the performance seats and I have the opposite problem. My skinny *** needs more cush for my tush so I got a gelfoam seat cushion. It might work for you too, to raise the level up some. After 4K miles & eight months, the piping on the back still digs into me. Unhingd recommended this one for the back, said it worked perfectly for him but seems too wide for mine. So I use it for the office chair now.
amazon.com/gp/product/B00IKN33ZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 11-06-2017, 09:29 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Gosh, woodturner, I don’t mean to be a PITA but my question is going to make me sound like one: Surely you noticed when you first sat in the car that you were sitting on the bolsters instead of between them. What were you expecting to change?

Even if the car you first sat in or test drove had “sport seats” (yours are “performance seats”), the distance between the bolsters is the same. So, seems to me, the same questions would have occurred to you. If you didn’t fit in the seats, that was what might be called a “sign.”

OK, OK, water under the bridge. The obvious solution now is to raise the inter-bolster level and to lower the seat. Foam wouldn’t be sufficiently resistant. A gel cushion would work.

That won’t solve the problem caused by the heavily stitched piping running down the middle of the seat back. It felt uncomfortable to me after a few seconds of showroom sitting. I didn’t even make it to the test drive stage in the R that I had originally intended to buy—all Rs at that time were equipped with the infernal “performance seats”—and had to settle for an S. I’d like to have a word with the person who came up with that piping placement...

Last edited by Frenchy; 11-06-2017 at 09:54 PM. Reason: typos (I hate 'em)
Old 11-06-2017, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Frenchy
Gosh, woodturner, I don’t mean to be a PITA but my question is going to make me sound like one: Surely you noticed when you first sat in the car that you were sitting on the bolsters instead of between them. What were you expecting to change?
Well, Frenchy, since you didn't mean to be a PITA, I'll respectfully answer your question. Actually, I didn't expect anything to change. Nada. Zilch. What is worthy of mention is that it takes perhaps an hour or so of continual driving before I begin to feel the pressure - primarily on my thighs and hips. Thus, this was nothing that I had given much thought to in a test drive....they just didn't last long enough for it to kick in.

Funny thing is I don't know that I am that much larger than your typical F-Type owner. 6'0" @ 205 lbs.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:51 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by woodturner
primarily on my thighs and hips
This suggest another partial solution: changing the (lower) seat angle. Higher in the front, I would think. Worth a try, in addition to the gel cushion.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:01 PM

Yeah, I think I have tried most available permutations of seat and back position. Some kind of cushion that would raise me up ever so slightly to more readily clear the side bolsters may be the only reasonable solution. I'm not really sitting on the bolsters per se. I just feel some pressure akin to a mild squeezing force that develops over time. Certainly enough to make me not want to take any long(ish) road trips in the car.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Do you have the side bolsters adjusted to the widest open position?

Old 11-07-2017, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

This must be an issue of aspect ratios of the upper and lower torso. I have driven in this seat in great comfort for up to 13 hours straight. For me, it has been the most comfortable seat except for one from a 1978 XJ6-C. However, my wife found the ribbing in seatback quite painful. That was resolved as mentioned above:

Old 11-07-2017, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Do you have the side bolsters adjusted to the widest open position?
Do the side bolsters on the seat bottom (not the side bolsters on the seat back) adjust???

Old 11-07-2017, 09:56 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

I only find the seat uncomfortable if I have my wallet in my back pocket. I put it in the door pocket instead.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Everyone is built differently but I find the seats very comfortable for long distances.....with all the adjustment these things have it's a bit of a shock to me that someone couldn't find a comfortable setting.

....sigh; I remember my 1966 Cutlass bench seat (and dozens of other similar vehicles) where there was ZERO adjustment available except moving it forward or backward! I don't remember being uncomfortable then either but probably 'cause I was younger and didn't have the aches and pains I do now... LOL

Dave

Old 11-07-2017, 11:02 AM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I have the regular seats and they are fine as far as they go, but I do wish they were more adjustable, had memory and full power, but what the heck, one shouldn't expect too much from a car that only costs 70K. However, when we went shopping the BW tried a SVR and promptly announced the seats were impossible.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:10 PM

Update: Well, for the first time in my life I have kind of analyzed my default sitting style while driving. The result of this in-depth scrutiny is that I appear to be a major man-spreader - at least behind the wheel. My left knee is in contact with the door while my right knee is getting friendly with the center column on my right. As this is not something I have given any thought to in the past, I am unaware if my style is unusual or typical (for guys). However, I was in the car for a short while this morning and forced myself to position my left foot deep, deep in the well and to keep my right knee away from the center console. IOW, knees within the same zip code. It seems to have improved the comfort level. Time will tell if this simple adjustment to leg placement fixes my issue.

Old 11-07-2017, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,131 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Do the side bolsters on the seat bottom (not the side bolsters on the seat back) adjust???
Nup, only the seat back bolsters.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Update: Well, for the first time in my life I have kind of analyzed my default sitting style while driving. The result of this in-depth scrutiny is that I appear to be a major man-spreader - at least behind the wheel. My left knee is in contact with the door while my right knee is getting friendly with the center column on my right. As this is not something I have given any thought to in the past, I am unaware if my style is unusual or typical (for guys). However, I was in the car for a short while this morning and forced myself to position my left foot deep, deep in the well and to keep my right knee away from the center console. IOW, knees within the same zip code. It seems to have improved the comfort level. Time will tell if this simple adjustment to leg placement fixes my issue.
I tend to sit the same way but have become more conscious of it in recent years. I'm a bit heavier than I should be but have found that as long as I change my leg positions from time to time and not keep anything in my back pocket I can sit comfortably for 8 hour runs with no real discomfort.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:22 AM
Received 85 Likes on 51 Posts

Some talcum powder should lessen any discomfort that may occur with the new driving style.

Old 11-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

What kind of saddle do you use?

Old 11-08-2017, 06:48 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I like King's Saddlery in Sheridan WY.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member

Bottom bolsters not adjustable.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member

I would recommend more natural padding. Donuts, brownies and blueberry scones daily until padding level is achieved.