F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ian on in car tablets

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 07:48 AM
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

No it is not the coupe as moving from a truck I wasn’t prepared to give up that much cargo space. I do agree the coupe is nicer looking.

Apart from the unnecessarily complicated infotainment (and don’t get me started on inputting an address on the nav) system I like the the rest of the vehicle.

It rides nice and feels tight.

However What surprised me was that there was no auto start. Apparently most German cars do not have this feature until 2019 for MB at least.

This I would not go without after having it for the last 5 years. In the dead of winter my assistant remotely starts and warms up her Hyundai while I have to get into a frozen interior. Yes first world problems but not acceptable on a MB at this price range.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (04-20-2019)
Old 04-20-2019, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Ability to remotely start via smartphone means that your car is connected to the internet AND reporting its location. This means that law enforcement or lawyers can access this data via court order. Depending on jurisdiction, law enforcement may even be able to access this data without warrant. For some professions (e.g. journalists, politicians, spooks) and lifestyles (e.g. affairs, deviancy) this is a deal-breaker.

Personally, my car is not connected (Canadian 2016 F-type does not have a SIM) and my phone has a battery that I can physically remove. I know I am in minority, but I would never buy a connected car. If they stop making them, then I stop buying new cars.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Fjmviper
No it is not the coupe as moving from a truck I wasn’t prepared to give up that much cargo space. I do agree the coupe is nicer looking.

Apart from the unnecessarily complicated infotainment (and don’t get me started on inputting an address on the nav) system I like the the rest of the vehicle.

It rides nice and feels tight.

However What surprised me was that there was no auto start. Apparently most German cars do not have this feature until 2019 for MB at least.

This I would not go without after having it for the last 5 years. In the dead of winter my assistant remotely starts and warms up her Hyundai while I have to get into a frozen interior. Yes first world problems but not acceptable on a MB at this price range.
Thanks for the reply. I thought the Germans didn't allow auto start due to smog regulations concerning cars running unnecessarily.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:47 PM
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Ability to remotely start via smartphone means that your car is connected to the internet AND reporting its location. This means that law enforcement or lawyers can access this data via court order. Depending on jurisdiction, law enforcement may even be able to access this data without warrant. For some professions (e.g. journalists, politicians, spooks) and lifestyles (e.g. affairs, deviancy) this is a deal-breaker.

Personally, my car is not connected (Canadian 2016 F-type does not have a SIM) and my phone has a battery that I can physically remove. I know I am in minority, but I would never buy a connected car. If they stop making them, then I stop buying new cars.
I do agree with you as this forum is the extent of my social media. However remote start etc can easily be put on the key fob as it’s been done for years. I believe one reason the manufacturers are starting to put these feature on your phone is they are able to charge for the use of it....which I believe a couple do after a certain time period. Similar to free satellite radio for the first 6 months.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
That video showcases idiotic design and it is accident waiting to happen. I kept waiting for him to rearend that dump truck. How is that not distracted driving?
Silent killer. My father is okay, but he was hit by a Tesla that ran a stop sign, last Sunday. He was cycling. 74 years old, but in superb shape (still does centuries). It broke a few ribs, collapsed lung, needed a "port" thingy for half a week, helmet cracked but no concussion and saved his life. He's like wolverine, didn't even have to stay overnight at the hospital. Destroyed his spendy road bike tho.

The tesla guy stopped and called 911. My dad was riding with friends, one was a doctor and checked him out. His was lucid the whole time. Ambulance and police came. Even a cop said to the Tesla owner, "this guy is dressed like a dayglo highlighter, pretty hard to miss that". And isn't Tesla supposed to avoid collisions?

Garbage. Causing distracted drivers and falling to perform the intended safety stuff.

My dad still has some pain, but he already ordered a new helmet. While at the hospital, he had asked for scotch (humor intact), while asking how soon he could ride again, because he has a century to ride in a month. Mom was dismayed. :/

Old 04-20-2019, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Sorry to hear about your father's accident. I know a new Tesla driver that scared me when she said she was pleased with the car because she could rest when tired when driving back from New York City to home (a 4.5 hour trip). How have people worked up so quickly to out ant out trusting this technology?
We've seen what technology without human's paying very close attention can do with recent airline accident's.