F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If Jag (JLR) does an electric sports car...are you in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 06:58 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

Polestar has an electric sports car coming out in 2026 called the Polestar 6. The first 500 are already spoken for.

https://www.polestar.com/us/polestar...SAAEgLcN_D_BwE

It comes with a drone.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:28 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

My F Type R is just a fun car for me and purchased because I retired with zero debt, a good investment portfolio, had always wanted one and I wasn't getting any younger. I have an AWD SUV for a daily driver and for its practical value.

But I have to say after seeing a few YouTube videos on the Ferrari 296 hybrid it sure does stir a lot of desire. It has a twin turbo V6 mated with a plug in electric motor for a total of 830 HP. OMFG !
Now if my Tesla stock ever reaches the value that some so called financial experts are predicting and I'm not as feeble as our Commander in Chief I may just do something crazy and buy one.

https://www.ferrari.com/en-EN/auto/296-gtb

Last edited by Dwight Frye; 06-30-2023 at 08:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
YRS (07-18-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 09:16 AM
Received 226 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by YRS
Thanks, I hadn't see the Carscoops article...seems like a an attractive proposition...sort of a BMW four door coupe thing that have done more than OK in the market...might be a nice compromise.
The rendering is pretty nice - if you look at a Taycan closely, they have done a superb job to try to "hide" the size of the thing, the battery....just like the Tesla model S. The cars are huge and really heavy.....even though both are beautiful my hope is small and light so to me battery tech needs perhaps an order of magnitude more energy per gm to make things work....so my plan is to not jump in too fast, especially given the costs. For now I'll keep my F type, maybe dablle in a used model 3 or the like for cheap, and see what happens. I suspect my position is pretty average for people. EV's are like iphones right now, no one wants the last model...that is my worry from a financial point of view. Then there is time to charge and location to charge. Range anxiety is not ok for me on something so costly. I don't feel a need to lead in this space and lose a lot of money.

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 06-30-2023 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-30-2023, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 188 Posts

If Jag is raising their price range they will sell very few cars. I'm open to electric based on driving experience. I will probably be a charge at home as we really only drive around town, not sure I will buy any new car again. Not enough years left!

Old 06-30-2023, 12:18 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,087 Likes on 1,389 Posts

I think I heard of a starting price of something like $140k. Good luck to them!

Old 06-30-2023, 01:53 PM
Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

If the OP is asking if I'd swap my beloved F-type for a sight-unseen Jaguar Sports BEV, my answer is no "F" way, not me!!!

Anyone who wants a sports EV now is a BEV enthusiast first and sport-car lover second (or lower.)

As has been pointed out (in the thread and elsewhere), there are currently a lot of issues and unforeseen problems with EV's. Me? I will hold off making ANY switch to EVs until the problems and costs with using and fueling my ICE are a LOT worse than those currently facing EV drivers.

As far as Jaguar redirecting focus more towards luxury over performance, I don't believe it for a minute! One only has to look at the investment Jaguar has made in Formula E. They're not about to throw out all they learn from that. That'll get incorporated into their eventual EV sports car.

I do like the design shown in the carsnoops article. But, really? It's not that much different in appearance than the F-type. To me, it's more of a follow-on concept. (F-Type Series II? F-Type Series "E"?).

Jaguar has a history of making beautiful concept cars that never quite make it to market. To bring out a new sports-EV design, perhaps they need the input from a future Malcolm Sayer or Ian Callum to get to that next level. That being said, I guess I don't see them going with the more angular, 'stealth' shapes like a C7, C8, or Ford GT. It's not really their style.

But, who can say? If Jaguar comes up with a jaw-dropping design built on their JEA platform using solid-state batteries, I may have to at least take a second look... and perhaps get a larger garage.

Old 06-30-2023, 05:34 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

They should have done a hybrid first. Like the CX75 hybrid. Still think it is such a shame they canned it. Could have been right along side the holy trinity.

Anyways, for me, the best answer is "it's complicated". It depends on whether or not JLR can hash out something special, and it takes quite a lot to make an EV special. It cannot be built like how almost every other EV builder and their mom just focuses on "oh look 0-60". I hope for their success, but I'm quite skeptical.

YRS (07-18-2023)
Old 06-30-2023, 07:27 PM
Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

I'd rather have tertiary syphilis than drive an electric sports car.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 961 Likes on 718 Posts

I've had motor vehicles with 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8 cylinders; naturally aspirated, turbocharged, supercharged; 2-stroke and 4-stroke. I'd like to add a V12, but I'm not averse to electric. Of the vehicles I've owned I think two are in the top 1% of best sound. One is a Ducati twin with Termignonis, the other an MV Agusta with RG3 pipes. My F-Type does sound good, but is down a notch from those.

I just don't understand the hate because I like to drive. If it drives well, I'd consider it. I would miss the sound, but that's not the whole driving experience.

The following 2 users liked this post by lizzardo:
mcphill (07-01-2023), YRS (07-18-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 03:29 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,409 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by synthesis
I'd rather have tertiary syphilis than drive an electric sports car.
I didn't realise those were the choices!

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
BruceTheQuail (07-01-2023), DJS (07-01-2023)
Old 07-01-2023, 07:01 AM
Received 390 Likes on 161 Posts

Short answer: NO!

Old 07-01-2023, 01:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Hell no! Will never own a EV in my lifetime. With optimistic perdiction of only 15% by 2030 in US market. Most other agree. I will move to Ferrari ....

Benedetto Vigna ( Ferrari)said it would be "arrogant" to dictate to customers what they can buy.

This is a statemwnt and company I will support. Not rhe others.

Old 07-01-2023, 01:53 PM
Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
I didn't realise those were the choices!
When I first entered into practice, one of my first patients was a really cool older man in his late-80's. He was in great shape, still worked full-time and was funny as hell. Being sixty years his junior, he told me many interesting things but none prescient than this. He said, "You know why most people die in their eighties? People can't take the bullshit anymore and simply choose to check out. Once the mind makes the decision, the body follows soon after."

This was quite interesting to hear and I have often struggled with what this gentlemen told me so many years ago, but as I have gotten older myself [late 60's], I am beginning to see his point. Forcing electric sports cars onto an enthusiast base that lives to hear the roar of a high tuned IC engine might be the perfect metaphor for our times.

Last edited by synthesis; 07-01-2023 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-01-2023, 06:16 PM
Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

I've got my F-Type but daily a Tesla Model Y (until wife claims it). I have enjoyed the Model Y more than I thought I would. Makes for a great in town car but we have done trips to Orlando, Chattanooga, etc without issue, albite a longer drive with the needed charging. Definitely not a replacement for the F-Type. Don't think I would sell the F-Type for an electric sports car as sound was one of the draws about our cars...but if given the chance to swap for a Lotus Emira 6 speed, that would be a harder choice.

YRS (07-18-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 02:06 PM
Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Why are people talking about gears lol? Y'all like being slower so the car can go vroom vroom? Do you have any idea how intoxicating it is not to have to wait on power? Instant torque at your command at any point....no lag to change gears, no redline, no wheelspin, no power band to wait on. It'll ruin you for the ICE and the need to have noise and change gears is in your mind, not reality.

Old 07-02-2023, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Oc
Why are people talking about gears lol? Y'all like being slower so the car can go vroom vroom? Do you have any idea how intoxicating it is not to have to wait on power? Instant torque at your command at any point....no lag to change gears, no redline, no wheelspin, no power band to wait on. It'll ruin you for the ICE and the need to have noise and change gears is in your mind, not reality.
If speed was the only measure of my enjoyment my missus would be a very unhappy lady.

The following 2 users liked this post by BruceTheQuail:
scm (07-02-2023), YRS (07-18-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 961 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
If speed was the only measure of my enjoyment my missus would be a very unhappy lady.
Likewise, if sound and fury were the only measures of driving pleasure the Miata would have died on the vine. Its done anything but that.

I was reflecting on this topic and was likening, right or wrong, the "never an EV" folks with the "never an automatic transmission" folks, and the reality is that automatics can do a better job now that people, and the vast majority of people in this subforum drive automatics. I'd a stick-in-the-mud manual transmission elitist, but would consider an EV if the driving pleasure were there. I think it will be, if it isn't already. I need to go drive some new cars.

That said, if I do get an EV, I'm still keeping my 6MT X152 until I can no longer lever myself into the driver's seat.

Last edited by lizzardo; 07-02-2023 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:38 PM
Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I get to drive some really nice EV's. I like 'em, A LOT and see the same potential there as the supercar EV guys do, nearly unlimited.

So, with that in mind a properly configured true sports car could be an EV. It would have to be built and tuned (programmed) to provide a level of fun that satisfies. I don't think anybody knows quite yet what that means. If you've not yet driven a Plaid, you owe it to yourself to do so. Stupidly fun for a large sedan.

Take that Plaid formula, make it lighter and more agile, maybe provide some threshold wheelspin, such as an 8% slip rate, and so on.

But more importantly, make sure the battery does not overheat on track days. This will require an epic rethinking of how we cool the pack. And how we implement regen into sports car level threshold braking. If Jaguar could pull off something that is as much of a ruckus as the F-Type convertible, it would certainly be "acceptable".

Old 07-13-2023, 12:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,332 Posts

Having driven two different Tesla models, I found them entirely soul-less, and just about as exciting as a SubZero refrigerator and with interiors that are just as cold and uninteresting (both of these things, the lack of character/“soul” and the spartan appearance and feel of the interiors are the exact opposite of a Jaguar, any Jaguar). Virtually any electric car can out pace almost every ICE car. Times from zero to 100 kms per hour have become irrelevant. It is the connection to the emotions that electric cars (however fast they are) are missing.
Jaguar might manage to infuse an electric sports car with that unexplainable attraction that their cars have always had, but it will be a struggle, I think.

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Geo3 (07-13-2023), scm (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 573 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc Oc
Speed isn't everything - otherwise people would be trading their classic cars for a Chevy Volt (not to mention all the faster EV's). I remember when Top Gear did a retro look at the E-Type and DB5. After all the glowing commentary, they staged a 0-60 run and inserted an Accord in between them. The Accord, of course, left them both behind, and it's not even an EV.

(BTW, I'll take on a Tesla for pink slips if I can set the parameters: back-to-back 0-150, best out of 10.)

Quick Reply: If Jag (JLR) does an electric sports car...are you in?