F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior storage less on 2016?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 12:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I have a sizable uncovered cubby between the 2 seats at shoulder level. Don't you have that?
I do, but I've already got a few things in there, and it's a bit far from the center console (where the USB cable plugs in) to have a cable running to a phone.

If you pop off the panel (on the coupe) where the 'verts have their elastic band or storage compartment, there is quite a bit of dead space in there. So it's a bit agitating that we don't at least have the recessed area with a cargo net in that same panel.

Last edited by Inspector-G; 06-10-2016 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Mentioned coupe, typo
The following users liked this post:
sov211 (12-08-2020)
Old 06-10-2016, 02:32 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

I have the compartment. It locks when the car is locked and also in valet mode which is very convenient. It has s mesh pocket too.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:27 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

My 16 R convertible has a glove box, centre console compartment, and a compartment between the seats. I use the one between the seats for my concealed carry and the mesh net on its door to keep my locking lug key.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

There is a spot on the boot for the lug lock in the black foam next to the battery. Can if tyre sealant also fits in.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Regarding the cubby box (only fitted to the convertibles). It won't fit the coupes, and the top roll (the parcel shelf trim) is not compatible between variants.

If you don't have the cubby box you can fit it. Part no is T2R12440 + your three letter trim code for performance seats, and T2R12439 + trim code for the standard sports seats. Cost is about Ł450. You'd also need the latch (T2R12465 for the revised one @ Ł40) plus the cover (T2R1003 + three letter trim code @ a laughable Ł380). The final parts are two rubber buffers - T2R101R @ Ł2 each. I believe the rubber is a special blend of actual rubber and unicorn milk to justify that price.

(Trim codes - LAA is mineral, PVJ is jet.)

With the coupe the cover is so easy to remove it may as well have hinges, so a bit of eBay cargo netting stapled to the back would give you the same usable storage with change from Ł10. You could even drill some holes from the front to pass the net cord through at the top and bottom to mimic the net used on the convertibles without the hatch.

On the convertibles it looks like the top roll exterior is visually the same for each variant, so the part difference may simply be mounting mouldings for the latch mechanism and to provide a neat back to the cubby box (rather than just opening into the bulkhead space with all the wires visible). It may be possible to forgo swapping that part if you really want to go OEM and don't mind making your own lining.

The following users liked this post:
Inspector-G (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 09:54 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Are you saying with the coupe, we can just pull the cover forward? It comes off?

Larry

Old 06-13-2016, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Yes, the cover between the seats it is only held on with two small metal clips at the top outer corners. The bottom fits over two upright supports. Pull either of the top corners and it will come loose, then lift it up and you will remove it entirely.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:01 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Gonna try it, thanks
Larry

Old 03-30-2019, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky
Gonna try it, thanks
Larry
Did you ever try this? I'm just taking my 2019 and noticed that the 2019 convertible does not have the lockable storage compartment, and it's the flat one with the mesh net. has anyone swapped these out are they easy to switch out? I probably only have a few days before the 2016 goes away forever. I really relied on that thing. LOL

Old 12-08-2020, 07:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good afternoon, I have just become an f-type owner! Following this thread and I am trying to do exactly this, and remove this storage to get to the head unit behind it to install Apple car play.

did anyone ever work out how to remove the storage box? I see the coupe is an easy unclip but I cannot work out how to remove the storage from the convertible!

Last edited by Jamjag; 12-08-2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-26-2023, 10:31 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamjag
Good afternoon, I have just become an f-type owner! Following this thread and I am trying to do exactly this, and remove this storage to get to the head unit behind it to install Apple car play.

did anyone ever work out how to remove the storage box? I see the coupe is an easy unclip but I cannot work out how to remove the storage from the convertible!
Hi @Jamjag did you ever figure out how to remove the center storage box? I am also trying to finish my Carplay install and it requires routing some cables down the center knee trim back to the head unit behind this panel

Old 04-26-2023, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 528 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Exactly where I am talking about. The owners manual appears to show a small compartment where this panel is located. I actually pulled the panel off trying to see if it was just a hard to open compartment, and say the wiring and modules you mentioned.
That's on convertibles only, and only through 2017.

Old 04-26-2023, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jamjag

I'm willing to bet you have a Bosch unit and you would need to access it behind the dash, not behind that storage.

Old 04-26-2023, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by KimboSlice
Hi @Jamjag did you ever figure out how to remove the center storage box? I am also trying to finish my Carplay install and it requires routing some cables down the center knee trim back to the head unit behind this panel
I installed a UAD unit on my 2017 and there is nothing behind that back storage. To route the aux cable and USB cable to the little center console, I just popped off the center kick panel on the left side of the car and routed the cables to the center console. It was very straight forward.

Old 04-26-2023, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I'm willing to bet you have a Bosch unit and you would need to access it behind the dash, not behind that storage.
I do indeed have the Bosch unit and have completed most of the install behind the dash.

However, with the CarPlay kit I bought it also requires tapping into the secondary “CD host” head unit which is behind the armrest between the seats. This allows it to tap into the AUX input and factory mic without having to run an ugly aux cable into the center console.

Here is the secondary “CD Host” head unit which is separate from the main Bosch head unit in the dash

Old 04-26-2023, 10:55 AM

I installed a UAD unit on my 2017 and there is nothing behind that back storage. To route the aux cable and USB cable to the little center console, I just popped off the center kick panel on the left side of the car and routed the cables to the center console. It was very straight forward.
The CarPlay kit I purchased has a slightly more “involved” install compared to the UAD system which doesn’t need to access the CD head unit behind the seats but I like that it results in a slightly more seamless finished install (no aux cable plugged into the center console)

Old 04-26-2023, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

The CarPlay kit I purchased has a slightly more “involved” install compared to the UAD system which doesn’t need to access the CD head unit behind the seats but I like that it results in a slightly more seamless finished install (no aux cable plugged into the center console)
Got it. I like that idea, too.

Old 04-26-2023, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

I do indeed have the Bosch unit and have completed most of the install behind the dash.

However, with the CarPlay kit I bought it also requires tapping into the secondary “CD host” head unit which is behind the armrest between the seats. This allows it to tap into the AUX input and factory mic without having to run an ugly aux cable into the center console.

Here is the secondary “CD Host” head unit which is separate from the main Bosch head unit in the dash
Hold the phone! Does this unit give control of Carplay/Android auto through he steering wheel buttons too (like skip song)? If so, what is it?

Old 04-26-2023, 11:16 AM

Hold the phone! Does this unit give control of Carplay/Android auto through he steering wheel buttons too (like skip song)? If so, what is it?
According to their documentation it does indeed! That was a big feature that I wanted.

The kit that I purchased is this: For Land Rover&Jaguar Discover4 Freelander2 XJL Evlque XE F-type Range Rover XF F-pace Android Auto Apple Wireless Carplay HARMA from In Car Solutions on Aliexpress.

I have the updated "2nd gen" Bosch headunit which they call "Bosch (Harman style)" so I purchased that one