F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack the Ripper in a Tuxedo

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 07:20 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Jack the Ripper in a Tuxedo

Hello guys - first time poster here, so please be gentle with me, and forgive my length...

Well, after a good half-lifetime's worth of longing, I've now realized my ambition to own "the" Jaguar sports car, and just took delivery of a new 2016 R Coupe. I can't help but post to get some of the remaining baggage out of my system, but I also thought that sharing my recent buying experience may help some of the other guys that are in the hunt right now.

Of course, my definition of "the" Jaguar sports car has changed over the years. It started with the E-Type, and progressed through the XJS and XK, but now I'm very glad that when the music stopped in my personal life's game of musical chairs, the beckoning open seat was the magnificent F-Type.

For me, the ambition started in the early seventies when a guy down the street bought a V12 E-Type Conv. That thing was a c**k on wheels, and my fellow spotty youths and I would regularly just sit on the curb across the street and stare at it. One of them once plucked up the courage to ask the bell-bottomed owner how fast it would go. "Oh, just over 300 mph" he replied with complete assertion. Of course, that didn't help matters at all.

Anyway, fast forward to 2016, and the stars lined up for me this summer, so I decided it's now or never. So I did as much research as I could online, and spent a fair amount of time lurking around here as I developed my buying strategy. I must say a big thank you to some of the forum regulars. Without the pricing comments of guys like Jaguny, SinF, ShaunPA, LobsterClaws, and others, I wouldn't have been knowledgeable enough to get the deal I did.

Originally, I thought I would be in the market for a low-mileage used 2016 R Coupe, but the more I read here, I realized that a residual new 2016 could be had for about the same price. I used Cars.com and BestRide.com for my main searches of Dealers across the country, and gradually spread the net wider as I looked for the best match of my preferences and available inventory. As a side comment, I found that many of the advertised cars - particularly those with the best apparent deals - had already been sold, but the listings remained. Of course the apologetic Dealers could always offer you something more expensive...

I eventually found an Ammonite Grey R Coupe at a Dealer in the SF Bay area (I'm north of Atlanta). It's a Jan 2016 build with 330 miles, and they'd had it in stock for about 5 months. The spec was as close to my preferences as I could find, and I could tell from my first conversation that they would negotiate aggressively. When I asked if the warranty had started, the sales manager said yes, but they would throw in the 6-year CPO warranty. This was before I could even ask for it.

For me, it was quite unnerving making such a large purchase sight-unseen, but the salesperson was excellent at following up on my questions, and sending many high resolution photos that were easy to magnify and evaluate in detail. There were a couple of minor "lot rash" blemishes to be taken care of, but they did this quickly and without argument.

So the car had a sticker of just under $108, and I was able to get it for $86 with the 6-year warranty included (thanks again guys). I'm really pleased with this, and may have been able to get it lower, but the spec's so close to what I wanted, I didn't want to risk losing it. The moral of the story is that if you can find a 2016 in dealer stock that you like, you should be able to get at least 20% off sticker - but they won't be around for much longer.

After the deal, they overnighted the documents for me to sign, and included a return overnight label, so within a couple of days, the formalities were completed. I started to get quotes in for the shipping, and ended up deciding on open transport as I'm such a tightwad (apart from the obvious). Prices ranged from $850 to $1700, and I went with Upscale at $850 - by chance making the arrangements with Polaris' contact, Bert. The actual carrier was Rus-Al, and they picked up in SF when they said they would, delivering to me in ATL 4 days later. The driver was very conscientious, and communicated very well - telling me what he was doing to protect the car. I realize that I was probably lucky in this respect. It seems that if you check customer comments on any of the car carriers, half the customers love them, and the other half hate their guts. It seems to be a lottery.

So the car didn't suffer any damage at all on the way over, and we're now having great fun with it - it really is awesome. I took my moody teenage son out for a spirited country run yesterday, and I actually saw him smile. Then he commented with more sense than I've got out of him in months, "Dad, this car is like Jack the Ripper in a Tuxedo!"

Ahhh.. long may the generational harmony continue - Andy

Attached Thumbnails Jack the Ripper in a Tuxedo-img_7894.jpg   Jack the Ripper in a Tuxedo-img_7893.jpg   Jack the Ripper in a Tuxedo-img_7895.jpg   Jack the Ripper in a Tuxedo-img_7909.jpg   Jack the Ripper in a Tuxedo-20160930_153717.jpg  

The following 3 users liked this post by Shearwig:
99Gsp (10-03-2016), BostonKiller (10-04-2016), James Tootle (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Shearwig
Then he commented with more sense than I've got out of him in months, "Dad, this car is like Jack the Ripper in a Tuxedo!"
I like that!
Congrats on the acquisition.

The following users liked this post:
Shearwig (10-03-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Great story, well done.
I also had my F-Type trucked to me, not under cover, over about 2,000 miles, and it got to me in good condition. Just a quick clean and a clay bar and it came up good as new. I strongly recommend you clay it, makes a huge difference.

Shearwig (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 05:29 AM

By coincidence, I was thinking exactly the same thing about the clay bar over the weekend. The paint looks like a million dollars, and I was lucky that it didn't get rained on during the trip over, but I can feel the dust specks when I run my had over it. I've also got a bottle of Migliore ceramic coating that I bought for another car. I think I'll try it after the clay bar. Thanks

Old 10-03-2016, 10:04 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice story and congratulations on your purchase!

Shearwig (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

The car is beautiful, enjoy it like it was your lifelong dream. (Oh yeah, it was!)

Shearwig (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 03:49 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Congrats...beautiful. best of luck. Are you going to get clear wrap to protect the paint?

Shearwig (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I like that!
Congrats on the acquisition.
I love it when a plan comes together......

Congrats and I think a new vanity plate has been hatched. Ripper

Old 10-03-2016, 05:38 PM

I haven't really thought much about the paint yet. Now the car's here I'll have to research the options. I just skimmed through the forum and there seems to be a fair bit of detail on paint protection, and of course a good spread of opinions. My next project!

I must admit that I didn't think the finish would be as good as it is. I was expecting there to be more orange peel in the clearcoat, but it really is smooth all over. I guess I'm lucky again!

Old 10-03-2016, 05:46 PM

Well, I have submitted an application for a vanity plate already - to be unveiled soon, I hope, if it's available.

Unfortunately, in GA "Ripper" has already been taken by a Cardio-Thoracic surgeon down at Emory.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Congratulaions, great story too. Great color. Many of the forums members helped in my purchase as well. Pay it forward. What interior color-finish? Also you should consider a product like iron-x that removes metal paticles from paint. Happy driving!

Shearwig (10-03-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 06:30 AM

jaguny, the interior is all Jet with Ivory stitching. At first I was worried that it would be too "black" in there, but the stitching breaks it up nicely. After a few days with the car, I realize that the last thing on your mind when you're out driving is the color of the interior - duh!

I love the look of a mid-grey metallic color on a curvaceous car, it really emphasizes the contours on a bright day. For me, I think this must go back to James Bond's DB5 that captivated us in the 60's. In the 80's I built a Dax Cobra replica and finished it in the same color - a stunning look at sunset or sunrise. I've attached some pics, and hopefully won't get drummed out of the forum for going off-vehicle!

The following 2 users liked this post by Shearwig:
jaguny (10-05-2016), Mbourne (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 07:06 AM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Almost all of my cars have been silver or blue metallic, except for an Atomic Orange Corvette and my current Firesand R. While I have always liked silver, I would never call one stunning; I feel that is more true of orange. I do think that silver complements a sports car better than a family sedan, but I am very pleased that F-Types are available in Firesand.
Larry

Old 10-04-2016, 10:36 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

that color looks amazing. Congratulations and enjoy - I still can not stop driving my 2016 F Type R and it's been over 3 weeks now

Old 10-04-2016, 11:32 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonKiller
I still can not stop driving my 2016 F Type R and it's been over 3 weeks now

Three weeks is a long time to go without sleep.