F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar Done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,145 Likes on 1,312 Posts

As a slight antidote to the doom and gloom, and for those who are worried about future servicing of their Jags: my JLR dealer here is one of those who after next year will not be selling new Jaguars because, as I was told, the investment needed in specific training and in facilities to service electric models made this unsustainable (despite the fact that they have sold the current electric model).
The good news is that they will continue to service the ICE Jaguars indefinitely. My dealer, however, is not one of those that has a model-year limit on serviceable cars. They are perfectly willing to service virtually any Jaguar. On my last visit there I saw a 1980’s Series III XJ12, an XJ40, an S-Type, several X-Types, and in the recent past they did a timing chain/tensioner replacement on my 2001 XJR, fully serviced my wife’s 2002 X-Type with water pump replacement, installed the aluminium coolant pipes on my 2015 F-Type…no complaints or refusals. I am aware that this is by no means the universal experience.

I cannot understand (but I do believe) the reports that some dealers will not even look at a car much earlier than the current models.

Last edited by sov211; 03-14-2024 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2024, 04:20 PM
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

With regards to the video I’m not sure where he’s from but i assume Canada as he mentions the Cdn dollar. I’ve been in the JLR dealership east of Toronto several times in the last couple of months as I’m replacing my 21 RRS with a 2025. I don’t see or have heard of any of the incentives he’s talking about and as for inventory its limited as they sell every Sport they get and than some.

Old 03-14-2024, 05:27 PM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Jaguar seems to be on the verge of collapse since the 1980s. That being said, Jaguar is too strong of a brand name to just let die. Heck, even Hummer made are return but in a new EV form that I expect to do well.

Old 03-14-2024, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,145 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Fjmviper
With regards to the video I’m not sure where he’s from but i assume Canada as he mentions the Cdn dollar. I’ve been in the JLR dealership east of Toronto several times in the last couple of months as I’m replacing my 21 RRS with a 2025. I don’t see or have heard of any of the incentives he’s talking about and as for inventory its limited as they sell every Sport they get and than some.
The video man was definitely very negative, somewhat alarmist, in fact, although there is some truth in what he says. Those who have owned Jaguars (enthusiastically) will know that the parts support for Jaguar cars is robust. The F-Type is a definite future classic and as with any classic Jaguar, parts will be available. I can buy every nut and bolt for my 1966 Mk 2 and I expect that the story will not be much different for my F-Type. Yes,I am aware that the F-Type is an electronics-filled beast, but just as today there are businesses that cater to rebuilding/repairing of modules, there will be similar resources when they are needed.

Last edited by sov211; 03-15-2024 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 04:41 AM
Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
The video man was definitely very negative, somewhat alarmist, in fact, although there is truth in what he says. Those who have owned Jaguars (enthusiastically) will know that the parts support for Jaguar cars is robust. The F-Type is a definite future classic and as with any classic Jaguar parts will be available. I can buy every nut and bolt for my 1966 Mk 2 and I expect that the story will not be much different for my F-Type. Yes,I am aware that the F-Type is an electronic-filled beast, but just as today there are businesses that cater to rebuilding/repairing modules, there will be similar resources when they are needed
Yeah, that YouTuber can be alarmist. He’s playing the game like a lot of them, click baiting, etc…He gives some good info too sometimes, but his videos are quite repetitive I find. He’s based out of Alberta, Canada.

Old 03-15-2024, 07:52 AM
Received 124 Likes on 76 Posts

Yeah that's a bit too much clickbait and alarmism. The guy did some amusing videos and it's always nice with people with a passion for these cars but his videos are mostly 90% pretty pointless blabla and repetition instead of getting to the point more directly.

Overall there's way too much alarmism and hoohaa about Jaguar's end of ICE engines and the end of F-Type production. Anything can happen with the brand in the future and so effing what. Regardless there are so many fantastic F-Types out there to be enjoyed for a very very long time to come and even if there will be fewer official dealers I can't see how anyone can seriously worry about servicing and parts in the future.

The following 2 users liked this post by MajorTom:
scm (03-15-2024), sov211 (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 08:09 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes agree, and they spread disinformation

The following users liked this post:
sov211 (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 08:10 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorTom
Yeah that's a bit too much clickbait and alarmism. The guy did some amusing videos and it's always nice with people with a passion for these cars but his videos are mostly 90% pretty pointless blabla and repetition instead of getting to the point more directly.

Overall there's way too much alarmism and hoohaa about Jaguar's end of ICE engines and the end of F-Type production. Anything can happen with the brand in the future and so effing what. Regardless there are so many fantastic F-Types out there to be enjoyed for a very very long time to come and even if there will be fewer official dealers I can't see how anyone can seriously worry about servicing and parts in the future.

Old 03-15-2024, 11:31 AM
Received 170 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by spegor
If you buy into the notion that all things are constantly changing, then information is only true for one moment in time [if then]...then it changes and becomes "disinformation." It's just that it takes folks a while to catch-up [and most never do]. It's the primary reason you want to stay grounded in the present.

Old 03-15-2024, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by MajorTom
Overall there's way too much alarmism and hoohaa about Jaguar's end of ICE engines and the end of F-Type production.
The problem is that they have made multiple really poor business decisions over the years and that's not really what you want for your car company.

Old 03-15-2024, 11:41 AM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by synthesis
The problem is that they have made multiple really poor business decisions over the years and that's not really what you want for your car company.
That same line can be said about any car company these days, especially FORD and GM Still, its wild times to be a car buyer and doesn't seem as stable as the pre-pandemic years it seems.

Last edited by TangledThorns; 03-15-2024 at 11:57 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TangledThorns:
Golfnutjtl (03-18-2024), VroomForTwo (03-18-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by TangledThorns
That same line can be said about any car company these days, especially FORD and GM Still, its wild times to be a car buyer and doesn't seem as stable as the pre-pandemic years it seems.
Ford and GM should have gone under in the 80's [along with Chrysler]. Seriously, is there any reason why this country cannot make GREAT cars? The U.S auto industry has been a joke since the 60's.

Old 03-15-2024, 05:19 PM
Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

The US does make great cars IMO. Maybe not to everyone's taste, but...

Track ready Mustangs and Cameros
Corvettes - Styling is a bit much, but they are the king of the hill in terms of lap time per $.
Blackwings and the whole CTSV family - styling again not the strong point
60s muscle cars - 1998 Charger anyone.

VroomForTwo (03-18-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Michael211
The US does make great cars IMO. Maybe not to everyone's taste, but...

Track ready Mustangs and Cameros
Corvettes - Styling is a bit much, but they are the king of the hill in terms of lap time per $.
Blackwings and the whole CTSV family - styling again not the strong point
60s muscle cars - 1998 Charger anyone.
The American car companies lost baby boomers when we found out that a basic Toyota Corolla was going to work almost all the time. My generation ran to the Japanese [Toyota and Honda, in particular] not because of styling or speed, just because their cars actually worked [and, as well, somebody put more than three seconds into figuring out how to design the interior of the car (ergonomics)].

Go out and buy yourself a 70's Chevy Vega or Ford Pinto or AMC Pacer [or any of the crap Detroit was cranking out at the time] and see what I mean. The American people gave these losers over two decades to turn it around...no such luck.

Old 03-16-2024, 12:06 PM
Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

I think we are closer to agreement than disagreement. American cars were mechanically lower quality when the Japanese wave hit, and they took a big hit. But still, back in the day I liked my 1968 442 a lot better than "appliance" from Japan at the time. Style matters, but your taste may be different.

Today is a different story. For example, my cousin's husband runs a logging company in the Sierra. He buys and operates dozens of pickups. When I asked him what I should buy he said the American trucks were all just as solid as the Japanese today. Ford and GM stepped up. And I'll stick with my admiration for the modern performance cars coming out of the US today.

bobjagbob (03-16-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Michael211
I think we are closer to agreement than disagreement. American cars were mechanically lower quality when the Japanese wave hit, and they took a big hit. But still, back in the day I liked my 1968 442 a lot better than "appliance" from Japan at the time. Style matters, but your taste may be different.

Today is a different story. For example, my cousin's husband runs a logging company in the Sierra. He buys and operates dozens of pickups. When I asked him what I should buy he said the American trucks were all just as solid as the Japanese today. Ford and GM stepped up. And I'll stick with my admiration for the modern performance cars coming out of the US today.
You will no doubt enjoy the fact that I rode shotgun everyday [to high school] in a good friend's '70 442/w30 package. Pretty incredible car for its time [going straight].

With all the advantages the U.S. has [technology, research, market size, capital, on and on and on, we should build THE best cars in the world. That's all.

An interesting tibit...in 1950, Detroit was the wealthiest city in the U.S.... now it is Washington, DC. What a surprise.

bobjagbob (03-16-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 07:50 AM
Received 388 Likes on 159 Posts

Recall how long it took the U.S. auto industry to adopt disc brakes and radial tires?

Old 03-18-2024, 07:17 AM
Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Jaguar appears to be no longer promoting their current lineup. I could not help but noticing on the latest episode of the show The Equalizer that the Equalizer is no longer driving a Jaguar SUV. She is now driving a Range Rover.

KalamazooJag (03-19-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 07:20 AM
Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by cpq100
Jaguar appears to be no longer promoting their current lineup. I could not help but noticing on the latest episode of the show The Equalizer that the Equalizer is no longer driving a Jaguar SUV. She is now driving a Range Rover.
Well that's the smoking gun right there then...They're done for ;-)

The following 2 users liked this post by DMeister:
jcb-memphis (03-18-2024), KalamazooJag (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 07:51 PM
Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow, that hurts...you're not wrong...but that hurts.

Quick Reply: Jaguar Done?