F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar is saying my R Coupe was held at port to perform a recall

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Jaguar is saying my R Coupe was held at port to perform a recall

This is very bizarre. I called customer service about the fact that my car was bumped from the Elektra. I asked them if the car had been damaged at the port.

They researched this and got back to me with the following:
- The car was held back because there was a recall/campaign on the car and the modifications are being made at the port of exit
- All cars in my line (R Coupe) are being held back (not sure this is true but that's what they said).
- The car should be shipped out very soon but they are not certain if it will be on the Sunday vessel (Honor)
- They apologize for the delay but they want me to have the highest quality car possible (!)

Wonder what this recall is? Are they fixing the Meridien system?

Why do I get the feeling they are making this up?

Old 11-14-2014, 02:51 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

There isn't a Meridian recall yet... so wouldn't be that.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

I brought my R in last week for an early oil change. Only open service thing they did was related noise in the rear. However, there is this Brazil article that I translated via Google that says there is a recall

Auto Esporte - Jaguar convoca recall do F-Type, XF e XJ por risco de incêndio

The Jaguar Brazil announced on Thursday (13) a recall of 17 cars sold in the country, all 2015 models, including F-Type, XF and XJ.
According to the manufacturer, the belt from the power steering pump and the positive battery cable from the alternator may become loose, risking loss of support toward the first case, and a fire in the second.
All owners of models should go to a dealership to perform the repair, which involves repositioning the strap and attach the battery cable.
The estimated time to solve the problem is 1 hour and 50 minutes. The affected vehicles were manufactured between August and October 2014. The Jaguar offers the 0800 729 1420 (office hours) and email cliente@jaguar.com.br to ask questions.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

If you have the VIN maybe try the Jaguar site: VIN RECALL

Old 11-14-2014, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by shift
If you have the VIN maybe try the Jaguar site: VIN RECALL
Thanks. When I enter my VIN on that website, it says "Sorry, that is not a valid VIN"

Old 11-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

A vehicle recall isn't the same as a factory level recall.
Factory quality checks are done in small batches and by sampling.
If a small lot develops an issue -- let's say there was a shipment of 20 bad exhaust manifolds or an assembly robot was misaligned -- then once the problem is identified it may be possible to fix it before any of the affected vehicles reach customers.

If this happens there may be no need to issue a public vehicle recall because there are no released vehicles so JLR saves a lot of money by nipping the issue early.

This may not be what happened to your car, but it is one reason why you may not find a published recall.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Banned
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Were you the guy that got his unusually quickly? Maybe they figured out their mistake and sent that car to the person who had really ordered it.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:53 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by lunagry
Were you the guy that got his unusually quickly? Maybe they figured out their mistake and sent that car to the person who had really ordered it.
Made me spew my drink all over the monitor. I thank you for the great chuckle.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

I remember when BMW recalled the first batch of F10 M5’s in 2012 for an oil pump shaft issue, which was a disaster for the launch of this car. They identified the problem quickly and amazingly performed the recall after I believe only one oil pump failure. Owners who already took delivery had to have their cars towed to the nearest dealer and it ruined many European delivery plans. Cars sat at ports, dealer lots and the factory for nearly a month waiting for replacement parts. Needless to say no one was very happy about it.

Hopefully the parts needed to fix the issue with your F-Type are readily available.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by jmfan
I remember when BMW recalled the first batch of F10 M5’s in 2012 for an oil pump shaft issue, which was a disaster for the launch of this car. They identified the problem quickly and amazingly performed the recall after I believe only one oil pump failure. Owners who already took delivery had to have their cars towed to the nearest dealer and it ruined many European delivery plans. Cars sat at ports, dealer lots and the factory for nearly a month waiting for replacement parts. Needless to say no one was very happy about it. Hopefully the parts needed to fix the issue with your F-Type are readily available.
Think that was greatly exaggerated. My first M5 was part of that batch. I did my full 2 weeks of euro delivery driving no problems. Dropped it off. The VPC in Brunswick took care of the recall. Was still at dealership within 5 days of reaching port.

The only people who had a bad lot were the one guys whose fuel pump blew up, and those people whose cars reached port that very week.

I don't believe there is an issue with the car. If there is then Lovemonet's car should also be delayed.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:29 AM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

Perhaps you’re right, I wasn’t involved. I do remember people were extremely upset mostly due to the unknown, which is understandable in that type of situation. I was impressed how BMW resolved the problem as quickly as they did given the circumstances.

I do sincerely hope to hear good news that there is not an issue with your car and it is on the next ship.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
I brought my R in last week for an early oil change. Only open service thing they did was related noise in the rear. However, there is this Brazil article that I translated via Google that says there is a recall

Auto Esporte - Jaguar convoca recall do F-Type, XF e XJ por risco de incêndio

The Jaguar Brazil announced on Thursday (13) a recall of 17 cars sold in the country, all 2015 models, including F-Type, XF and XJ.
According to the manufacturer, the belt from the power steering pump and the positive battery cable from the alternator may become loose, risking loss of support toward the first case, and a fire in the second.
All owners of models should go to a dealership to perform the repair, which involves repositioning the strap and attach the battery cable.
The estimated time to solve the problem is 1 hour and 50 minutes. The affected vehicles were manufactured between August and October 2014. The Jaguar offers the 0800 729 1420 (office hours) and email cliente@jaguar.com.br to ask questions.
My V6 had a recall on the auxiliary belt last month.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (11-15-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

F-Typical,

Did you receive notice of that in the mail, or did you learn about it via forums like this? My car is giving me a "service required" message on start-up, and the odometer just clocked something over 3300 miles.

Was planning to take it in for first service soon. No clunking, rattling, buzzing, check engine lights, etc., or any other glitches so far.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

I made them realign the bonnet, and when the driver arrived to pick it up his paperwork said the reason for returning it to the workshop was for an Auxilliary Belt recall.

Which they did, before delivering it to the body shop to sort the bonnet.

After sales manager - when queried - said that the pulleys on the auxilliary belts were incorrectly torqued from the factory.

I got the impression I knew more about the car than he did, so this is unlikely to be definitive.

Old 11-15-2014, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

OK, thanks. I'll ask about that when I go in for first routine service.

Old 11-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
Think that was greatly exaggerated. My first M5 was part of that batch. I did my full 2 weeks of euro delivery driving no problems. Dropped it off. The VPC in Brunswick took care of the recall. Was still at dealership within 5 days of reaching port.

The only people who had a bad lot were the one guys whose fuel pump blew up, and those people whose cars reached port that very week.

I don't believe there is an issue with the car. If there is then Lovemonet's car should also be delayed.
As you know mine was loaded on the Elektra, but I have an S and you have an R. I think Lovemonet has an S right?
Maybe it's something with just the Rs???

Old 11-15-2014, 08:26 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by PD2911
As you know mine was loaded on the Elektra, but I have an S and you have an R. I think Lovemonet has an S right?
Maybe it's something with just the Rs???
No, I have an R. Maybe Stealth's car will be on my ship tomorrow.

Old 11-15-2014, 08:37 PM
Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

My R is still set to be on the ship tomorrow. Have you checked your VIN to see if your car has been re-scheduled to ship tomorrow?

Old 11-16-2014, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Lovemonet
My R is still set to be on the ship tomorrow. Have you checked your VIN to see if your car has been re-scheduled to ship tomorrow?
It's not booked on that ship. I am really disheartened to be honest. I am pretty certain they damaged my car and are doing bodywork on it. Then when it gets here I will have to have it inspected for repair work before taking delivery.

If it turns out the car is damaged I won't know about it until it arrives at the dealer.

I don't know what to do. Should I just tell the dealer to **** off and buy a Porsche instead?

Old 11-16-2014, 02:04 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

It's not booked on that ship. I am really disheartened to be honest. I am pretty certain they damaged my car and are doing bodywork on it. Then when it gets here I will have to have it inspected for repair work before taking delivery.

If it turns out the car is damaged I won't know about it until it arrives at the dealer.

I don't know what to do. Should I just tell the dealer to **** off and buy a Porsche instead?

Last edited by mshedden; 11-16-2014 at 08:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Jaguar is saying my R Coupe was held at port to perform a recall