Old 07-31-2022, 05:44 AM
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Just purchase my First F-Type Jaguar

My last car was a 2012 BMW 335is twin turbo 320 hp
The one I got is a 2018 F-Type 340HP 29K miles

Mark's new F-Type

hopefuly you can follow link,

I am retiring my BMW forum membership in hopes of making new friends here

My BMW was a hard top convertible, I just didn't like the soft top, so I didn't get the convertible even though the car is gorgious with the top down

I checked no recalls. (Actually Carmax Checked as part of their service)

SAJDD1EV3JCK50804

Vin I am looking for a good vin checker I will look around here first, bmw forum had one

I don't get the car for 7 days, Carmax is bringing it up from Florida to North Carolina where I live

I am curious about the transmission I have an automatic. My BMW had a 7 speed dual clutch manual that worked like an automatic. It really put the engine to the tires quick

So any information on how well the automatic works in the F-Type would be cool

Mark's new Baby

Click link above for pictures

And I paid 50k - let me know how I did, I can take criticism if I have it coming

Thanks all hope we become great friends in Jaguar

Mark

The following 5 users liked this post by mtalent:
Ichi Ban (07-31-2022), Jaguar1611 (08-03-2022), joemikhail (03-14-2024), KalamazooJag (08-08-2022), Pauluucho (08-01-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 05:55 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,398 Likes on 1,062 Posts

Welcome to the club! I find the ZF box in the F-Type to be excellent - it seems to have ESP in that it tends to anticipate when I think the box ought to shift. If you're booting it, the revs are held longer whereas if you're just pootling along it'll shift up earlier to keep the revs down. The F-Type is a bit Jekyll and Hyde depending on how you drive - cosy kitty or snarling big cat!

And this is a friendly place to be so I'm sure you'll get on fine here!

The following users liked this post:
Pauluucho (08-01-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 06:04 AM

Thanks SCM

Ya the beemer tranny used to hod the gear if I nailed it, for like three seconds if you let off the throttle, which would kind of throw you forward in your seat, then it would shift kinda hard to the next gear and after that come
back to it's senses. I love that, but you kinda learn not to lay into it unless you are planning on following through.

Awesome that it has that ESP, I can't wait, like a little kid drooling over a new toy that isn't here yet

Old 07-31-2022, 07:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Welcome to the "Jag World". You found the best forum, and you will have a car not seen on every corner. 'Bimmers' are 'Yuppy Sneakers'.

Pauluucho (08-01-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 08:27 PM
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

That was my daily driver, 2012 BMW 335i. Just sold it over a year ago. Loved that car. Welcome to the forum. I am curious to see what you think in comparison to the BMW.

Nodnarb (08-03-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 08:51 PM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Congratulations!

RWD is the way to go with the V6. I’m on my third one, only the one I now have is AWD. AWD feels much heavier and slower than my RWD ones. :-( The V6 doesn’t overpower the rear tires like the V8 ones do.

A good number of people hate the wires in the windshield but I love them. I live in the northeast where there is frost and snow. The wires clear the windshield faster than a defroster and without blowing warm air in one’s face.

You’ll love the “loud” button for the exhaust.

Old 08-03-2022, 02:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just bought mine as well. Enjoy and Have Fun..I know I am

Old 08-08-2022, 09:43 AM

Ok a hint for the new F-Type owner before pickup

Find an owners manusl and read it first.

I was a little disoriented when i got into the car for the first time, I purchased it online from Carmax - had it delivered from Florida to North Carolina.

My sales person informed me a test drive needs about the same amount of paperwork as just finishing the purchase so no test drive.

There were 15 Mercedes and some Bimmers and other types of cars ------ ONLY ONE F-TYPE

I heard several times from different employees -- So your the guy with the F-Type, love the car, saw it when it came in very nice etc

So I was able to pair my phone, get Serious XM working, and the navigation (there were some alert messages about internet connectivity but it worked)

The car sounded great, but was long in the gears kept throwing me behind the power curve. I had forgotten about sport mode (I hadn't driven the 335Is in a while and it had sport mode also same thing in gear then nicely slap to the left). Got home driving in D and could feel the power but was frustrated. Brought the Manual in and as soon as I saw the word SPORT I remembered so I was releaved. Then I found the checkered flag/weather switch nw I was probably ok.

Couple hours later me and my brother decided to make a run to the beach, about an hour.

THIS CAR IS FAST -- in checkered flag mode (it;s called something else) this thing holds the gear like a good kitty and will pull like a rocket.

So now I am moving right along smothly passing cars on the left and right probably about 90. I look in my rear view mirror and I can see that beautiful chrome Jaguar emplem in my rear mirror I was thinking that is cool of jag to put it into the rear view. Well a while later I lookded ant the emplem was gone, my mind races for minute and I said to my brother do you think this car has a spoiler.

IT DOES HAVE A SPOILER -- First car with a moving spoiler -- very cool

I have the temp. license on the car - - - bike pulls up next to me at a light, bad as car is it a 2022 --- No 2018, thanks
guy in the beach parking lot -- your brave parking you car hear (gravel lot) we talk for a while I told my old car was a 335is he let me know that has 2006 735i with like 40K miles hard top convertable nice old guy retired.

It is fun, to talk to perfect strangers about cars -- The Jag is an ice breaker

Oooops boss is calling I'll respond the rest latter

--Oh ya how do I connect my car to the interned some sim card thing

psss -----WHATSNEXT----- I loved my Bmw also but I think the F-Type is faster it sounds better. I had the 335is the s was an upgrade to a poor mans M-series I got the 7speed dual clutch transmission and the M suspension and 20 more hp to 320hp. The bmw was fast and conered like a (something that coners well) maybe a jack rabbit. my 335is was 320hp so 20 less then the Jag. but the Jag has something I can't put my finger on it Elegance maybe, its in a different class then the mercedes and bmw's

Last edited by mtalent; 08-08-2022 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:55 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,082 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Checkered flag = "Dynamic Mode"
The convertible rear spoiler goes up at 60MPH and down at 40, the coupe goes up at 70 and down at 50 (I think.) There's a button on the console to raise it for cleaning purposes.

Note that the gear selector also slides left to activate 'Sport' mode. I have mine programmed so that the paddles are only active in Dynamic+Sport - this is in the menu accessible through the steering wheel buttons.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:52 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
... the coupe goes up at 70 and down at 50 (I think.)
You think right! Also, instead of the paddles, you can use the shifter to change up and down gears when in Sport mode - forward for down, back for up.

Old 08-08-2022, 02:08 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,082 Likes on 1,384 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
Also, instead of the paddles, you can use the shifter to change up and down gears when in Sport mode - forward for down, back for up.
Good point. In 9 years of ownership, I don't think I've tried that, gotten used to the paddles (which I don't use very often.)

KalamazooJag (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 02:48 PM
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Bought my 2020 “R” back in Sept. 21 and have not had the first regret. It is my daily driver and keeps me smiling like I broke the law every time I fire her up. I hope your experience is as positive as mine has been. I love the lines and styling of the coupe, but love how it feels when the top is down on my car. ENJOY!!!

KalamazooJag (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 03:31 PM
YRS
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Mark, congratulations on the Coupe, yours looks and (I know) sounds fantastic. For the record, I'm a long-term BMW fan-boy with a long string of M's going back to the 80's. In fact, I sold my beloved 2012 M3 Coupe to buy the 16 Coupe (same colors as yours, BTW), R now in my garage. While I'm still a BMW Club member and devour my Roundel every month, I've never looked back since getting my Jag. One other bonus, the Jag forums are full of folks who remind me of how Bimmer folks once were. They're generally very positive about the brand, appreciate the brand's core values and history, and I think also like pulling for underdogs. Not much negativity or snarkiness for the sake of it. I've also had great Jag dealership experiences. What's not to love. Enjoy!

Mbourne (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 03:50 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by YRS
One other bonus, the Jag forums are full of folks who remind me of how Bimmer folks once were. They're generally very positive about the brand, appreciate the brand's core values and history, and I think also like pulling for underdogs.
And we know how to use our indicators ...

Mbourne (08-08-2022)
Old 03-14-2024, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey mtalent! Hope you still have the Jag and are enjoying it. Fun fact, that was my car!! Was clearing up some stuff with the DMV here and thought I'd check up on the car and found your post! Still one of my favorite cars I've ever owned

Old 03-14-2024, 11:43 PM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
That was my daily driver, 2012 BMW 335i. Just sold it over a year ago. Loved that car. Welcome to the forum. I am curious to see what you think in comparison to the BMW.

My wife and I each had our new Supras. Her's a silver 2020 and mine a yellow 2022. Pretty much the same size as the F-Type (we are on our 3rd one). As exciting as the Supra performance and handling was along with the unique exterior design, we unloaded both of them and kept the F-Type. The Supra is a rocket-ship; gets 35 mpg on the highway, and is a good 800 pounds lighter than our similarly sized F-Type. But the Supra is just too dark and claustrophobic inside. Nothing but black interior. Personally, I hate Bimmer nav/infotainment systems and the red instrument lighting. Visibility is horrible out the small windshield and over the long nose. I do almost all interstate/highway driving. F-Types don't suffer from these issues. I even drove one of my granddaughters from East Texas to NH in my "little yellow car" and she hated it. Her younger sister hated it. My wife hated it. But all three love our ultra blue with sienna tan 380hp AWD F-Type coupe. Each and every day I drive the F-Type people seek me out to tell me how beautiful it is. People would do much the same with my yellow Supra but the talk was all about performance - not beauty. I know not to dice with M Bimmers, Supras, and other hot cars. But I find our F-Types plenty fast for my needs and the beauty of an F-Type rivals a Picasso painting.

You should enjoy your F-Type. The Brits do odd things with their machines but once one figures out the secret tricks it all works so well. I'm always learning stuff from this forum. You will do well to read here what other, experienced Jag owners say.