F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep it past warranty or sell

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 12:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Keep it past warranty or sell

I have an F-Type as my primary car. Don't drive much so mileage is low. There is about a year left on the warranty and I fear problems and the expense of maintaining it once I lose that protection. I've heard and read horror stories about Jags. This car was a splurge. I bought it when it was a year old. I've had no problems with it. I know the car is worth more with the warranty then once it runs out. So, to all you Jag folks with much more experience with me, am I wrong for worrying about the cost after warranty? I don't want to spend $1,500 for a brake job that would normally cost $300. But the dam car just looks and sounds so awesome. Thanks.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:41 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,087 Likes on 1,389 Posts

Sounds like you should explore an extended warranty, if repairs are a concern and you otherwise love the car. I didn't bother to get an extended warranty with mine, and plan to keep it forever.

The following users liked this post:
scm (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 12:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking about that but there are so many out there and many are scams. I guess I can call the Jag dealer and see if they can recommend any. Thanks.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,327 Posts

You can (and should) relax...I have owned a LOT of Jaguars (a confession, not a boast). They are very reliable cars for long-term use and they are no more expensive to maintain than any other luxury make - in fact much cheaper than a couple of German makes I could name.
Here is a real-life example from a real person- not the origin of the "I have heard..." stories: my wife is now in year 15, approaching year 16 with a daily-use, never garaged, child-carrying X-Type. The sum total of repairs in that period: exactly 3: replacement of an oxygen sensor, replacement of the water pump that started to seep (just months ago) and repair of one of the 3 driver's seat motors- the nylon gear had stripped. That's it. It runs like new and is a delight to drive (manual shift). I could tell you about my 2005 X-Type wagon that has had zero repairs, or any number of similar reports about say,...my 2007 XK that needed zero repairs (and that car is still in the familiy, and still at zero repairs) or the 2004 XJ8 or the...you get the drift.

Some months ago I was filling the fuel tank on my F-Type. At the other side of the pump was a woman filling her new BMW X5. She looked at the F-Type and said "that is a beautiful car! what is it?" ...I responded: "Thank you- it is a Jaguar F-Type"...."Oh...I have always loved the look of Jaguars but I'ver heard that they break down in the middle of nowhere for no reason" (this last comment is verbatim - I cannot forget it)...My response: "Well, that is a myth perpetuated by BMW owners."...for some reason, that ended the conversation.People who spread the stories about Jaguars being unreliable have generally never owned one.

A low km/mile Jaguar can be kept for decades (I have done it) with nothing more than oil changes - but keep it on a battery minder (CTEK!) and use it regularly. It will be a classic and a source of joy.

The following 3 users liked this post by sov211:
Don1954 (11-01-2018), Rob Schwartz (10-31-2018), scm (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 01:04 PM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

I owned just a few Jags, the spare parts are outrageously expensive. I strongly suggest you explore the extended warranty route if you keep it.

Old 10-31-2018, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Many Jags in my family all the way back to a 1997 XK8 which we still have. For the most part, they've been nothing but reliable. The F-Type seems to be a very well built car outside of really stupid things, like rattles, bumper alignment, etc. Many other "performance" cars have actual issues that cost thousands are are not covered by warranty. The E46 M3 had Vanos and subframe issues, the E9X M3 has rod bearing issues, and the W204 C63 had headbolt issues. All of these cost thousands and were never covered under warranty.

While Jaguar parts do cost more than the average car part, as far as I can tell, the car does not have any fatal flaws that should cost us thousands at some point.

scm (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 02:07 PM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
You can (and should) relax...I have owned a LOT of Jaguars (a confession, not a boast). They are very reliable cars for long-term use and they are no more expensive to maintain than any other luxury make - in fact much cheaper than a couple of German makes I could name.
Here is a real-life example from a real person- not the origin of the "I have heard..." stories: my wife is now in year 15, approaching year 16 with a daily-use, never garaged, child-carrying X-Type. The sum total of repairs in that period: exactly 3: replacement of an oxygen sensor, replacement of the water pump that started to seep (just months ago) and repair of one of the 3 driver's seat motors- the nylon gear had stripped. That's it. It runs like new and is a delight to drive (manual shift). I could tell you about my 2005 X-Type wagon that has had zero repairs, or any number of similar reports about say,...my 2007 XK that needed zero repairs (and that car is still in the familiy, and still at zero repairs) or the 2004 XJ8 or the...you get the drift.

Some months ago I was filling the fuel tank on my F-Type. At the other side of the pump was a woman filling her new BMW X5. She looked at the F-Type and said "that is a beautiful car! what is it?" ...I responded: "Thank you- it is a Jaguar F-Type"...."Oh...I have always loved the look of Jaguars but I'ver heard that they break down in the middle of nowhere for no reason" (this last comment is verbatim - I cannot forget it)...My response: "Well, that is a myth perpetuated by BMW owners."...for some reason, that ended the conversation.People who spread the stories about Jaguars being unreliable have generally never owned one.

A low km/mile Jaguar can be kept for decades (I have done it) with nothing more than oil changes - but keep it on a battery minder (CTEK!) and use it regularly. It will be a classic and a source of joy.
I sold my '85 XJ6 with 264+K miles showing and the speedo transducer had been inoperative a few times, so there were a few more than that on it. The 4.2 litre straight six had never had a head removed. Most repairs were, A/C compressors, brake pads and rotors. One water pump. One alternator. One minor transmission issue. Still ran like a top and was the most comfortable road car I've ever owned.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,153 Likes on 2,324 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Schwartz
I have an F-Type as my primary car. Don't drive much so mileage is low. There is about a year left on the warranty and I fear problems and the expense of maintaining it once I lose that protection. I've heard and read horror stories about Jags. This car was a splurge. I bought it when it was a year old. I've had no problems with it. I know the car is worth more with the warranty then once it runs out. So, to all you Jag folks with much more experience with me, am I wrong for worrying about the cost after warranty? I don't want to spend $1,500 for a brake job that would normally cost $300. But the dam car just looks and sounds so awesome. Thanks.
Are you even remotely handy with the spanners?
If you are then brake jobs, including disc replacements, are a piece of cake and will save you $100s if not $1,000s compared with dealer prices.
All other basic servicing on the F-Type is also a breeze and the only really tough thing is the spark plug replacement and even then that is not due until 100,000 miles.
I have had three Jags now in the past six years, an XFS an XFR and the F-Type, and all have been extremely reliable with no major issues.
I have done all servicing, maintenance and repairs myself on all three cars other than a warranty claim on the F-Type for the common supercharger coupler/torsion isolator rattle, and that was the only time that any of the three cars has visited a dealership while I owned them.
The other good thing about DIY other than saving a fortune is knowing it's been done and been done right, I don't trust dealer workshops as far as I can throw them.

Old 10-31-2018, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 908 Posts

I have been driving Jags for over 30 years and only about 5 of those years with a warranty of any sort. If they were too unreliable I wouldn't still be driving them!

Old 10-31-2018, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by FType17
I owned just a few Jags, the spare parts are outrageously expensive.
Though that is true, corresponding parts on my MINI are even more expensive.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:13 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Please don't tell me that! :-)

Old 10-31-2018, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 387 Posts

I've had Jags since 1969 and currently have 3. Only my wife's F-Pace is still under warranty.
If you compare depreciation on a new car vs repairs on your current car, you'll never let it go.
If you can't afford the repair cost risk, look into an extended warranty.
But, remember the warranty company is in business to make money, and they know the cost of parts/repairs.
If they're planning to be around to pay your claims (and planning to actually pay your claims), you're paying for it, plus their profit.
Odds are, it's a losing proposition compared to what you'd actual incur, but you get some piece of mind and upside protection.

Old 10-31-2018, 07:42 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
..."Oh...I have always loved the look of Jaguars but I'ver heard that they break down in the middle of nowhere for no reason" (this last comment is verbatim - I cannot forget it)...My response: "Well, that is a myth perpetuated by BMW owners."...for some reason, that ended the conversation. People who spread the stories about Jaguars being unreliable have generally never owned one.
Or they're harking back to the bad old British Leyland days when the quality was appalling. Ford's ownership transformed Jaguar reliability.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

The things that I worry with the F-type is the differential issue that seems to have cropped up. Not sure what that repair would cost out of warranty? The others like the brittle piping for the cooling system (not sure if I have this correct) would seem to not be an expensive repair. The leaking water pump issue can't be too bad if it crops up after warranty? I still have 2 years left on my warranty before I need to decide if extended makes any sense and if coverage is available for these types of issues.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:12 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,067 Posts

I bought my previous 2010 XKR at 3 years old with a 6 month warranty. It had a "wiring issue" soon after I took delivery which was fixed under warranty, and during the 5 years I owned it the only expense apart from routine maintenance and of course tyres(!), was the water pump, which was very expensive for a FoMoCo part. However, that expense was considerably less than I'd have paid for 4 years warranty. I think warranties are a bit of gamble and I prefer the up-front no-cost bet.

Old 11-01-2018, 08:45 AM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I'll be getting an extended warranty before mine runs out next May. I've heard AAA offers a good one. Even if you don't use it and sell the car before it expires, it'll make the car more attractive to the next owner and you' be able to ask a premium for it.

I have read horror stories about the costs of maintaining a MINI. I've wanted an '06 GP for years but I'm always steered away after trolling the message boards.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:47 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I think a lot of JLR's reliability reputation has come from a few horrid periods throughout their history. And I think a lot of it is shared with the Land Rover specific models that don't share parts or a production line with Jaguar. Doug DeMuro's infamous 2006 LR cost his extended warranty company over $16k in 6 years on a $4k warranty. For an SUV worth $5k. So the current line probably has some undeserved stigma to battle. Of course, the opposite is true for the more "reliable" brands. Honda and Toyota don't count - those are still pretty damn good. Ford is a lot better than it used to be, but the sunroof issues in the later model trucks and SUVs, along with about 8 years of really serious problems (MY 2003-2010) with their diesel engines have really changed that landscape. Many owners (and their warranties) have paid out as much or more than their vehicles were worth to keep them whole. In my personal fleet, I've punted a 2011 F-250 once the warranty expired due to quotes over $2k to fix minor stuff. I've had warranties more than pay for themselves on later model explorers and an F-150. My current F-250 is covered for 8 years and I'd like to keep it forever, but... who knows. Oh, and about that Toyota... My stepmother had to replace her 2017 Sienna's transmission within 3 months of taking delivery. So there's that.

Before I bought the F-type I looked around and found that maintenance stuff is the same or cheaper than it is for my Fords. brake pads, rotors, fluids, the normal consumables, etc - all normal pricing. A set of 4 high quality brake pads is under $200. The coolant isn't something crazy specific like it is on my diesel Ford. I also got a free 6-year (4 remaining) 100k warranty on my CPO jag *and* the VIN has 5 free annual service appointments left. I'm betting that the first 4 years of ownership will tell me all I need to know about whether the F-type is worth keeping beyond its warranty. So far, I don't think it's going to be any different from any other high-performance vehicle available today. If I'm wrong about that, I can always trade up before the warranty expires.

scm (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 10:09 AM
Received 253 Likes on 171 Posts

Thank you for sharing that.I am not too surprised as BMW is involved but it certainly explains why the folks at SCCA told me repeatedly not to get a Mini Cooper S for my son to Autocross, citing extremely costly repairs. I ignored it based on the fact that I would do all the work. Now I know better.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:34 AM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

"that is a beautiful car! what is it?" ...I responded: "Thank you- it is a Jaguar F-Type"...."Oh...I have always loved the look of Jaguars but I'ver heard that they break down in the middle of nowhere for no reason" (this last comment is verbatim - I cannot forget it)...My response: "Well, that is a myth perpetuated by BMW owners."...
Bahahahahahahahaha You'll find too not many people write good reviews, so you only see the bad. I've wanted a Jag since I saw my first beat up E-type that thanks God my Dad wouldn't let me buy. Sometimes you have to jump in with both feet, so there you go, I now have a Jag.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by WJV

I have read horror stories about the costs of maintaining a MINI. I've wanted an '06 GP for years but I'm always steered away after trolling the message boards.
That’s the one to have. Except for the rear seat delete, I updated my ‘02 to those specs securing the needed parts the same way I got the P7 grille and surround.

Quick Reply: Keep it past warranty or sell