F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Large Price Discrepancy for R Lease

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Large Price Discrepancy for R Lease

Hello Jaguar community! I will try to make this fairly brief. I'm a prospective buyer of an R coupe, and I've had some initial dialogue with dealerships about leasing a MY16. To establish a benchmark and get a sense of fair value, I found online that Jaguar Hornburg is advertising lease offers for various MY16 R coupes at $900-$1050 pre-tax with $5k down (36months and 7,500miles/year). I called Hornburg and found that these deals are indeed legitimate, but can only be offered to residents of California because of rules regarding competition amongst territories.

When I later spoke to my local dealership in the northeast, I proposed this framework. Unfortunately, I was told that the difference is so large that we couldn't begin to bridge the gap. We are still talking, but they have since been reluctant to provide specifics about their best offer.

Could these just be negotiating tactics on the part of my local dealer? Are the Hornburg prices a realistic starting point, and if not, then why would there be a huge discrepancy between geographies?

Old 04-18-2016, 07:17 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRed
Hello Jaguar community! I will try to make this fairly brief. I'm a prospective buyer of an R coupe, and I've had some initial dialogue with dealerships about leasing a MY16. To establish a benchmark and get a sense of fair value, I found online that Jaguar Hornburg is advertising lease offers for various MY16 R coupes at $900-$1050 pre-tax with $5k down (36months and 7,500miles/year). I called Hornburg and found that these deals are indeed legitimate, but can only be offered to residents of California because of rules regarding competition amongst territories.

When I later spoke to my local dealership in the northeast, I proposed this framework. Unfortunately, I was told that the difference is so large that we couldn't begin to bridge the gap. We are still talking, but they have since been reluctant to provide specifics about their best offer.

Could these just be negotiating tactics on the part of my local dealer? Are the Hornburg prices a realistic starting point, and if not, then why would there be a huge discrepancy between geographies?
At this point in the year you should definitely be able to lease under 1k/month pretty easily fora 16. A CA dealer can sell to you as long as you're willing to pay for shipping or want to go pick up the car.

The likely punched the car and are offering a pretty substantial amount off of msrp to make the lease numbers work (they get some additional money from the manufacturer when they so this).

Some dealers simply just don't want to negotiate or don't have the capability (due to volume) to do the same.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

You should not consider anything less than $15,000 off the MSRP on 2016. It is possible to get more, but that figure is what they should give up without much of a fight.