Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaving the F Type

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 07:25 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Leaving the F Type

Hey All

Well after 2500miles and almost 2 months of ownership of my F Type R AWD I have sadly decided its not the car for me.
I knew the tech was a bit slow and dated, that the stereo was disappointing and that it was a beautiful sports car, amazing to drive and to listen to.
What I did not know is how damn uncomfortable the sports seats were, how loud the road and wind noise was, and just how tiring it was to drive on long motorway cruises or sitting stuck in traffic in London.
I thought I wanted an out and out sports car...turns out I want a fast, comfortable, gadget laden cruiser. So I have made the move into a Merc S63 AMG Coupe. Pretty much a polar opposite in terms of comfort, luxury, tech, and I will enjoy have a bigger boot again too...has 577hp but weighs two tons so doesn't quite have the performance either though its certainly not slow.
I will miss the Jag and the wonderful noises, the sheer acceleration...but not the backaches and rattles.
Might come back if JLR sort out their interiors and tech....good luck all

Old 09-07-2015, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Horus
Hey All

Well after 2500miles and almost 2 months of ownership of my F Type R AWD I have sadly decided its not the car for me.
I knew the tech was a bit slow and dated, that the stereo was disappointing and that it was a beautiful sports car, amazing to drive and to listen to.
What I did not know is how damn uncomfortable the sports seats were, how loud the road and wind noise was, and just how tiring it was to drive on long motorway cruises or sitting stuck in traffic in London.
I thought I wanted an out and out sports car...turns out I want a fast, comfortable, gadget laden cruiser. So I have made the move into a Merc S63 AMG Coupe. Pretty much a polar opposite in terms of comfort, luxury, tech, and I will enjoy have a bigger boot again too...has 577hp but weighs two tons so doesn't quite have the performance either though its certainly not slow.
I will miss the Jag and the wonderful noises, the sheer acceleration...but not the backaches and rattles.

Is the stereo in your S63 better than the F type stereo?

Old 09-07-2015, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by perfectson
Is the stereo in your S63 better than the F type stereo?

Yes. Infinitely so. Even without spending £5k on the upgraded (24 speakers)stereo, the 'base' Burmester 13 speaker system is lovely. No rattles, buzzing or vibrations at the merest hint of bass either.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:50 AM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Horses for courses...

Yes, the F-Type is impractical for sitting in traffic and I can think of many more comfortable rides for long highway trips.
"Horses for courses."
I'm taking the wife on a 600+ mile road trip to Quebec City and Montreal from New York later this month. We'll see how that goes! A big Bentley Coupe would be better on NHV issues but I expect we'll all have some fun together.
I like how beautiful and pure the F-Type is, I certainly didn't buy it for the stereo! Power lumbar on the premium seats is a plus for comfort.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TR64ever
Power lumbar on the premium seats is a plus for comfort.
Those are the seats he had. He inaccurately referred to them as sport seats.

Woohoooo
Finally picked up the car from Paintshield in Peterborough where it was getting a complete covering in Xpel Ultimate I had it transported up there straight from the dealers when I took delivery of it a couple weeks ago.

It looks stunning, pictures don't really do it justice. And still have a massive grin from driving it back even if I did have to stay under 4k revs for the break in period ()

Am getting the alloys re-coloured as I don't think they go too well with the car atm. Will post some more pics at the weekend Other than that, am in love

Click on the pics to get a larger version

Old 09-07-2015, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by TR64ever
Yes, the F-Type is impractical for sitting in traffic and I can think of many more comfortable rides for long highway trips.
"Horses for courses."
I'm taking the wife on a 600+ mile road trip to Quebec City and Montreal from New York later this month. We'll see how that goes! A big Bentley Coupe would be better on NHV issues but I expect we'll all have some fun together.
I like how beautiful and pure the F-Type is, I certainly didn't buy it for the stereo! Power lumbar on the premium seats is a plus for comfort.
I'd much prefer being stuck in traffic with a 6 speed F-Type than a barcalounger mobile. I was really starting to dread my 60 mile commutes from DC to Baltimore until I got the F-Type. Now the drive is engaging, fun and the commute is far too short. I've been able to get the seat set just right to ensure long range comfort. Only problem is that I stiffen up pretty good after sitting in place for more than 3 or 4 hours. (My problem, not the car's)

There is no doubt, the F-Type is not a sporty luxury car. It is a luxury sports car. Not even in the same zipcode as an S class Mercedes

The following users liked this post:
Schwabe (09-17-2015)
Old 09-07-2015, 10:26 AM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Actually, aren't those the performance seats with the seams running down the center? I thought those were also standard on the R.

I have the regular sports seats without the seams on my S and I find them really comfortable for long drives.

Horus--sad to see you go, but glad that you found something more ideal for you! The S63 AMG Coupe is gorgeous.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:48 AM

Definitely a case of horses for courses. Unfortunately its hard to know what horse is right without sitting on it for a while

Yeah sorry the Premium ones. Tones with the stupid seam down the middle of the seats. Kept making me feel like I was sitting on something. Standard in the R. I went for a test drive in the S with the standard seats and they were much more comfy.
Mind you even if I could have swapped the seats out I still wouldn't have been happy with the car. Live and learn

Old 09-07-2015, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

live and learn. I have some back issues and find the seats uncomfortable for extended drives as well. what I've done is gotten a gel cushion and it makes things so much better. not great for turns as the gel cushion isn't secure, but makes long trips very doable for me.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Hey All

Wuss.

Try a supercharged Atom...

Old 09-07-2015, 04:11 PM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Weak.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Weak.

?

Troll much? Get an F Type R instead of an S then you can judge me.

Lol yes an Atom..perfect car for the commute Anyways have fun all.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:42 PM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Dude, it was a joke, each to their own, enjoy your wurstbarge 😀

Old 09-07-2015, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts

S63 is quite a car, but at $175k+ it should be. His reasoning is why there are so many low mileage F Type's for sale. Not everyone wants a loud hard riding sports car. Same reasoning on used Porsche market!

Old 09-07-2015, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or buy something like a new BMW 3 series for commuting and keep the F-Type as your fun car. That's what my wife and I did. She has an F-Type Coupe as her fun and daily car (she only drives like 10 miles a day) and I have a 2015 Z06 as my fun car but drive a BMW 335i M Sport as my daily driver (I commute 80 miles a day) and we use the BMW as our "family car".

I do agree with you though that the ride in the F-Type Coupe is firm however not unbearable. I had a 2009 Lexus IS-F for about a year and the ride in that was so firm that it was unbearable. I hear Lexus fixed that in the 2012 model though.

Anyways, enjoy the Merc - it is a fantastic car.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love seeing posts like these... I am an F-Type fan and hopeful future owner. Keep trading these bad Larry's in so I can scoop one up one the CPO market for a steal.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 02:07 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Hey All

Sounds like you got the car you really wanted. The next owner of your F-Type is going to get a sweet ride. Enjoy the MB.

Old 09-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

Must just be me then because I find the standard seats very comfortable and my body is about as far from a male model as possible...

Old 09-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Received 270 Likes on 148 Posts

I do find the "performance" seats to cause pain in my lower back after long periods. The lumbar support doesn't seem to adjust enough and I can't sit upright (to give a curve in the spine) without hitting my head on the roof.

It was like that in my Audi and Merc as well.

Last edited by LynxFX; 09-08-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX
I do find the sports seats to cause pain in my lower back after long periods. The lumbar support doesn't seem to adjust enough and I can't sit upright (to give a curve in the spine) without hitting my head on the roof.

It was like that in my Audi and Merc as well.
I assume you meant "performance seats" which are standard in the R, and which I didn't like in my test drives. "Sport seats" is the JLR term for the base seats, which like Buick I also find incredibly comfortable. I also have chronic lower back pain.

Quick Reply: Leaving the F Type