F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Life Is Short, Drive Your Damn F-Type!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts
Default Life Is Short, Drive Your Damn F-Type!

Not preaching, simply stating...

If this thread makes even one Forum member reconsider driving their F-Type during winter - assuming they are not - then this post will have been worth it. If not, then it will go the way of the unanswered ignored post.

Snap, crackle, and pop. And that's even before getting my car on the road - after my return from 80+ degree temps for close to two weeks (into single digits and wind chills in the -column) - as I get the car out of the garage and on and through some snow and ice before hitting the recently paved streets and highways.

While many here don't have quite the option of driving in winter (I'm not about to drive in knee deep snow either) keeping my F-Type hibernating for the winter just isn't an option for me. Two weeks is long enough without driving it - or gazing at it - and since I'm on Ultra-High Performance All-Season tires (the #1 or #2-rated UHPAS on Tire Rack last I checked) why the hell not? I'm not about to let snow, ice, sand, whatever preventing me from the immense joy in driving it and, without being cavalier about it, if I acquire a windshield chip or worse...so be it. I won't be happy about it but I'll simply go with the flow and deal with it.

Life is short...just do it.

The following 3 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
4Holer (01-07-2016), F-TypeRookie (01-06-2016), TXJagR (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52

Life is short...just do it.
That goes for a lot of things, not just driving an F-Type.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
F-TypeRookie (01-06-2016), RickyJay52 (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 09:00 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

My fun car is something else, my FType is the daily driver...so it will be driven. However, I have noticed that the PZero tires are not quite ready for prime time from a cold parking lot...or is that just me?

Old 01-06-2016, 09:17 AM
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

While I completely understand and support RickyJay52....
For me, Putting my car away for the harsh Chicago winter, is what I would rather do.

I bought my Type R as a toy to enjoy, and I get ZERO enjoyment out of driving it in Chicago's harsh winter conditions (extreme cold, snow, excessively salted roads).

It's going to snow the next few days here, but I have Sunday to look forward to....clear with a high of 14 and low of -2.

March can't get here soon enough

The following users liked this post:
RickyJay52 (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 09:48 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

and since I'm on Ultra-High Performance All-Season tires (the #1 or #2-rated UHPAS on Tire Rack last I checked) why the hell not?
Curious to see your winter setup. Did you get a dedicated "winter" setup (albeit UHPAS) or just swap out the rubber? You running Conti DWS by chance? I do for my Bimmers and have always been pleased, although I don't need to go out in the bad stuff.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

When I read the title of your post, I thought something terrible had happened! Glad everything is ok. I'm right there with you, although I am in TX... Drive it! That's what it was built for!!! Just do It! It gives me pleasure and puts a smile on my face!

Old 01-06-2016, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lookout!
My fun car is something else, my FType is the daily driver...so it will be driven. However, I have noticed that the PZero tires are not quite ready for prime time from a cold parking lot...or is that just me?
Lookout! Those P-Zeros are not intended for cold weather, although I did use them throughout last winter and while I never got overly aggressive with them, they did perform admirably; considering they're a summer/warm weather tire.

This year I wanted to push the [winter/cold] envelope a bit more and purchased an extra set of brand new OEM propeller wheels with Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 All-Season Tires and thus far they're suitably up to the task and look forward to seeing how well they [can] perform in snow, ice, whatever.

Best regards,
Jay

Last edited by RickyJay52; 01-06-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Lookout! (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kief
Curious to see your winter setup. Did you get a dedicated "winter" setup (albeit UHPAS) or just swap out the rubber? You running Conti DWS by chance? I do for my Bimmers and have always been pleased, although I don't need to go out in the bad stuff.
Hello Kief. Indeed, as you can see from the post I just...well...posted, I am using those Conti DWS (I also have them, for many years, on my Audi A8L, albeit it's not the "06's" and I love em) and so far so good.

Best regards,
Jay

Old 01-06-2016, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXJagR
When I read the title of your post, I thought something terrible had happened! Glad everything is ok. I'm right there with you, although I am in TX... Drive it! That's what it was built for!!! Just do It! It gives me pleasure and puts a smile on my face!
If you consider going from 80+ degrees to single digits and wind chills in the minus column OK....

Thank you for thinking of me TXJagR!

Happy New Year my friend.
Jay

P.S. Speaking of smiles, after parking it in our indoor garage at work, I actually glanced back for a good 10-15 seconds admiring just how gorgeous it is. And it's not like I just got it.

LobsterClaws (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

...Speaking of smiles, after parking it in our indoor garage at work, I actually glanced back for a good 10-15 seconds admiring just how gorgeous it is. And it's not like I just got it.
I do the same thing every time I walk away from mine. The BEST thing though is remote starting it in the parking garage as I walk out of the office and I hear the glorious exhaust note resonate off the parking garage and flow out the side walks. Someone always seems to turn around and try to see what made the beautiful sound coming from the garage!

Old 01-06-2016, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXJagR
I do the same thing every time I walk away from mine. The BEST thing though is remote starting it in the parking garage as I walk out of the office and I hear the glorious exhaust note resonate off the parking garage and flow out the side walks. Someone always seems to turn around and try to see what made the beautiful sound coming from the garage!
While I do not have the remote starting feature - or do I have any tunnels here in the State of Maine - I do park (along with other "like-minded" considerate drivers; in other words people who don't carelessly swing doors open) - on the third floor of my indoor garage and did gets those revs up considerably, more than usual, just this morning. Like you say, GLORIOUS.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Lookout!
It's not just you, and w/ pavement temps of 40ºF and below, they're very slippery. However, looking on the bright side, it's a great way to have the V8R RWD experience in a V6.

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
F-TypeRookie (01-06-2016), Lookout! (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 01:17 PM
bwc
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Having similarly returned to the frozen Great White North from a two week vacation to warmer climes, I can vouch for the joy in getting to drive the beauty that had been resting in my heated garage. A smile is put on my face every morning when I push of the start button followed by the growllllllll! I drive on cold but cleared roads (have old car for serious snow days) - can't imagine putting it away for 5-6 months a year (although that was my original plan - until the car arrived and I drove it...). Changed out the 20" oem wheels/tires for 19" wheels with Bridgestone Blizzaks. You only go around once. Enjoy it while you can.

RickyJay52 (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 01:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in Arizona. I assure you it will get driven all "winter" :-P

Old 01-06-2016, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LethalElbow
I am in Arizona. I assure you it will get driven all "winter" :-P
Yes but will you be meeting me at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport later this month? Or Sedona the next day?

Welcome to the Forum (only your third post I see).

Best regards,
RJ52

Old 01-06-2016, 02:38 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Now I understand how Jay is able to drive his F-type all winter in Maine. The trick is to never actually be home.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes but will you be meeting me at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport later this month? Or Sedona the next day?

Welcome to the Forum (only your third post I see).

Best regards,
RJ52

Do tell.... I just got the car last night. Is there a meet or gathering I should know about?

Old 01-06-2016, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LethalElbow
Do tell.... I just got the car last night. Is there a meet or gathering I should know about?
1) Congratulations and Happy Motoring.
2) Yes, there is a gathering; in May - here in Maine - for the 2016 Jaguar Lobster Run and at last count I believe we have 11 F-Types coming with, presumably, more on the way.
3) I suspect that the Mods here would like you to introduce yourself in the New Member section of the Forum.

Best regards and Happy New Year.
RJ52

P.S. I'm coming to Arizona with my wife for yet another 10-day holiday. Go ahead Unhinged, say it. "Tough life".

Norri (01-10-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Now I understand how Jay is able to drive his F-type all winter in Maine. The trick is to never actually be home.
Sssshhhh...don't tell anybody Dave.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:37 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm racking up the miles. Fortunately the weather doesn't prohibit me from daily driving.

Attached Thumbnails Life Is Short, Drive Your Damn F-Type!-img_0361.jpg  

Quick Reply: Life Is Short, Drive Your Damn F-Type!