F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loner Type F S

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 10:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Loner Type F S

Tool my 2016 F Type R in today to get both sub-woofers replace and they gave me a 2015 Convertible Type S boy was it fun with just have rear drive not the all wheel. Was pleasantly surprised that the road nose really wasn't louder than mine with the roof up. As it was around 100% today had the top down and it would have been nice to have air conditioning circulate through the seats as in other cars. Boy I likeed driving this car today.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:01 PM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

Dude your spell check must be on hiatus.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

I don't think that road noise is an issue in deciding between vert or coupe nowadays. I do not know a modern luxury vert that is "noisier" as a vert versus the coupe. Flex could be a deciding factor but certainly not in the F-Type as it first was designed as a vert and has no flex. Lines and looks of course, the roof line of the coupe is amazing and looks much better than the vert with the top up. Top down and it comes to pure personal preference. But noise and driving/handling is no difference, the vert is far more engaging and visceral with the top down than the coupe.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabe
I don't think that road noise is an issue in deciding between vert or coupe nowadays. I do not know a modern luxury vert that is "noisier" as a vert versus the coupe. Flex could be a deciding factor but certainly not in the F-Type as it first was designed as a vert and has no flex. Lines and looks of course, the roof line of the coupe is amazing and looks much better than the vert with the top up. Top down and it comes to pure personal preference. But noise and driving/handling is no difference, the vert is far more engaging and visceral with the top down than the coupe.
+1

Old 08-27-2015, 10:35 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabe
My own test drive experiences confirm the noise comments as well. And I also agree that the vert is more engaging, but that is a matter of personal opinion.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:53 AM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin
My own test drive experiences confirm the noise comments as well. And I also agree that the vert is more engaging, but that is a matter of personal opinion.
On backroads I much prefer the open car. If I had to sit in traffic on a busy freeway for a daily commute I might prefer a coupe. Both cars are exceptionally pretty and engaging to drive.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:48 PM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

See if you can have your dealer wait a couple of weeks before putting everything back together. I heard that the TSB kit for the speaker vibrating/rattling is literally a few weeks out.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

convertibles are almost always more fun than the coupes. it's the same reason why riding a motorcycle at 50mph is as thrilling as driving a car at 90 mph...that open air, wind feeling. for many people I think it comes down to 1) looks, as most people think coupes are better looking 2) potential maint w/ the top 3) less space/storage. If there was a "spyder" version of the F-Type I'd probably go for that...the best of both worlds..

Old 08-27-2015, 02:40 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
If there was a "spyder" version of the F-Type I'd probably go for that...
I'd settle for a sunroof that opened.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut
I'd settle for a sunroof that opened.
maybe for 2017 model? seems logical...or some kind of "T" top

Old 08-27-2015, 03:51 PM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Even though I agree the coupe is marginally more beautiful I would still buy the same F Type S Convertible again.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
See if you can have your dealer wait a couple of weeks before putting everything back together. I heard that the TSB kit for the speaker vibrating/rattling is literally a few weeks out.
Keep us posted! That will be a nice upgrade from having to play with the fader and tone controls.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

I agree that coupe is better looking, always are at Jag. But a roadster is best way to experience a sports car. Had hardtop conv. and it was slightly better than soft but compromise in looks not worth it.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Even though I consider a convertible my birthright as a native Californian, since I've committed to the F-Type as my sole car I just couldn't go with a soft top. I've seen too many slashed to gain entrance to the car, and the extra maintenance of the top just isn't practical (Hah! I used that word! Like the Coupe is, in any way practical).

Clearly, I'm an idiot, but not a *complete* one.

Oh, and the Coupe looks better, by more than just a little.

Old 08-28-2015, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
. the extra maintenance of the top just isn't practical ...Oh, and the Coupe looks better, by more than just a little.
What maintenance? Keep it until it leaks, get a new one, move on. If someone slashes your top, turn it into insurance and get a new one. (Don't dare skimp on insurance...the car is totalled if hit. Period). And the 'vert is prettier than the hardtop...

Old 08-28-2015, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nookieman
What maintenance? Keep it until it leaks, get a new one, move on. If someone slashes your top, turn it into insurance and get a new one. (Don't dare skimp on insurance...the car is totalled if hit. Period). And the 'vert is prettier than the hardtop...
+1

I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't have purchased an F-Type if it were only available as a coupe.

On maintenance, I've owned 9 powered-top, convertibles since 1980 and not once had a malfunction or a leak. That problem disappeared along with paper-thin vinyl tops and plastic rear windows.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:05 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I need to reproof my roof for the 2nd time, but that isn't a big deal.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

That's arguably less difficult than waxing a painted top. Cleaning is no more difficult than washing a painted top, and in some sense less so, because you don't have to dry it to avoid water spots.

I would argue there is less maintenance required for the convertible top.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:44 PM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

The vert is true wind in your hair sports car stuff, and optimises what the sprit of the F-Type is all about.

Having driven the Coupé for some time, I could have been in any other Coupé it was pretty 'plain' for me.

The lines of the Coupé though, flow just like the E-Type's and look better than the vert.

As others have said; A Targa would probably be the kiddie...best of both worlds.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:06 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
As others have said; A Targa would probably be the kiddie...best of both worlds.

That is a nice photoshop effort!

IMO the F-Type convertible looks best with the top down, but the coupe looks best otherwise. I'd have gone for the targa in a hot second if it was available as (like you said) it offers the best of both worlds. The looks and smooth lines plus the storage of the coupe, and the open air feeling of the convertible (while still looking pretty amazing.)

As long as the targa doesn't squeak or leak like some of the Corvettes do, the targa would be my first choice.

Quick Reply: Loner Type F S