Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for advice on purchasing a 2014 ftype

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts
Default looking for advice on purchasing a 2014 ftype

as an x type owner/maintainer and an ex series 3 xj owner/maintainer, im well aware of the pitfalls of jaguar ownership....therefore i want to buy another jaguar....haha
im looking at a deep blue 2014 f type convertable v6.
opinions please as i know nothing about what to look for.
it has an accident listed, minor damage front passenger side back i n 2016
price is 34950 milage is just under 21000
located in FL

Old 01-31-2019, 08:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

The price seems high to me,

Old 01-31-2019, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

really?...its below kbb....what tactics can i use to get it at the right price and how much is that?

Old 01-31-2019, 09:28 PM
Banned
Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by iownme
as an x type owner/maintainer and an ex series 3 xj owner/maintainer, im well aware of the pitfalls of jaguar ownership....therefore i want to buy another jaguar....haha
im looking at a deep blue 2014 f type convertable v6.
opinions please as i know nothing about what to look for.
it has an accident listed, minor damage front passenger side back i n 2016
price is 34950 milage is just under 21000
located in FL
Carfax has fundamentally changed valuations in the used car market. I wouldn't touch an accident car. Most dealers will decline to make a cash offer if the Carfax isn't accident free.

If you can't resist, $10K below kbb is the going rate. Otherwise, let it go. The used car market is flooded with perfect lease returns with under 20K miles.

Also, consider a CPO car and negotiate the full 7 year warranty into the deal. A normal 2014 will have almost 2 years of JLR CPO warranty remaining. All available CPO cars nationwide are listed on the main Jag website. Most Jag dealers wiil throw in a plane ticket as part of their overhead budget.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 01-31-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member

is the price high for an accident car or just high generally, the low milage and color are tempting me at the moment, not too many around with that combination.
i paid above aberage for my current (2nd) X type just because it had the hard to find carbon fiber interior.
the accident report doesnt worry me too much, especiallly if that helps lower the price.
i have no experience with what profits dealers make and im not a good hagler, i cant imagine theyd drop 10k

Old 01-31-2019, 09:44 PM
Banned

is the price high for an accident car or just high generally, the low milage and color are tempting me at the moment, not too many around with that combination.
i paid above aberage for my current (2nd) X type just because it had the hard to find carbon fiber interior.
the accident report doesnt worry me too much, especiallly if that helps lower the price.
i have no experience with what profits dealers make and im not a good hagler, i cant imagine theyd drop 10k
If they can't go 10K below retail blue book, they probably paid too much. Plus an accident car can't be certified, so no warranty is possible. Below 20K miles isn't that hard to find these days. I bought both of my F-Types with 15K miles, CPO. Be patient and check the entire country. It's not hard to fly out to see a car or two or three, and they'll deal harder when they see you are serious. They should pay for the first airline ticket so don't hesitate to ask.
https://used.jaguarusa.com

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 01-31-2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:00 PM
Banned

The first 2014 v6 to come up on the JLR CPO website is $38k black with a 7 year warranty from the original in service date, so two years-ish, and 15k miles.

They won't CPO it if it isn't in perfect working order and accident free. You may have to search the country to find the perfect color etc. They flew me out both times and the drive home is a blast.

IMHO, a warranty car vs an accident car is a no brainer, these cars lose a lot of value once out of warranty.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 01-31-2019 at 10:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

well thats already some great advice.
i dont fly but will drive and ship the x type home, i will now ask/expect them to ship it!.
i'll use the accident to try and knock $10k off but even still, im an impatient cash buyer, who does his own mechanixing and isnt too worried about future value/depreciation...(a rare breed)
my hasty decisions have turned out well in half a century. i know/feel what i want when i see it...so you may see me here soon...haha

Last edited by iownme; 01-31-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

also, i did look on the jaguar cpo site but didnt find anything in my price range

Old 01-31-2019, 11:13 PM
Banned

also, i did look on the jaguar cpo site but didnt find anything in my price range
I was in the same boat, but a little patience will get you piece of mind and a better car they will stand behind, repairs can be pricey.

Example: I had a not driven my V8 for a month. About a mile from home, things went haywire, as F-Types will do on low voltage. Lots of faults appeared briefly, then it fell out of dynamic mode and would not go back in. Being an idiot, and still not remembering it sat for a month, I decided to turn it off and on again. Well, it turned off, but... not on again.

After that a tow truck scraped it off the street at midnight, and the dealer fiddled and screwed up the software, despite my "uneducated opinion" that it self immobilized due to a low batt. Well, $3,200 and a week later they determined it needed a battery charge. All under warranty, but it would have been an expensive charge. The tow was covered too. I made them flash the car properly the following week.

P. S. now I have a battery tender.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

ouch!...the x types are also fussy about voltage so i know the signs!
what the general consensus about the convertible.
both for safety and noise, is the rear window practical?
any quirks you've had to learn about?

Last edited by iownme; 01-31-2019 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member

now i found a closer black on black 2014 concertible under 13k miles for $29k....hmmmm

Old 02-01-2019, 09:15 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Very enjoyable car. Visibility is OK with the top down, but poor with the top up, so the vision package is recommended. Climate package is great, I love the heated steering wheel and seats.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I agree with others here, any accident severely depreciates the car's value.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member

On options - since you are buying well-used and someone else ate the depreciation, why not go with V8S? Go big or go home. As other people mentioned - get blind spot monitoring, it is much needed feature if you ever drive it with top up.

Some warnings:
- early F-types have old coolant pump design. Make sure to keep an eye on that.
- all F-types don't warn you about low oil condition despite having an electronic dipstick. Make sure to keep an eye on oil level.
- Oil change interval is unreasonably long for DI engine. To avoid chain and intake sludge issues change oil more often. F-type also has specific oil spec, so not just any synthetic oil would do.
- Early superchargers have rattling coupler. Not fatal but very noisy/annoying. There is an update part from SC manufacturer that fixes this, dealer often just installs entire new supercharger instead of trying to fix.

Otherwise F-type is rather reliable for a Jaguar.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:01 AM
Received 351 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I agree with others here, any accident severely depreciates the car's value.

For sure. I recently sold two vehicles and lost between $8k (FJ Cruiser) and $15k (Lexus) of value due to accidents that weren't too severe being reported on a Carfax report. Both were from rear end collisions with about $6000 damage that was completely repaired. When the claims were settled I didn't know about the concept of diminished value and had to eat the difference when the cars were sold.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:08 AM
Banned

ouch!...the x types are also fussy about voltage so i know the signs!
any quirks you've had to learn about?
Both of mine are convertibles, its a wife requirement. I generally don't like convertibles because I hate that people gawk and listen. But the F-Type's engine soundtrack is so much more enjoyable top-down that I never drive it top up except for bad weather. I'm so glad I didn't get a coupe, though they aren't an option in 14.

Also, the F-Type is the only moden convertible designed as a convertible ground-up, so it is a uniquely capable ragtop.

I have both a V6 and V8, I strongly recommend a 2014-2015 V8 RWD convertible as the best sports car ever made, bar none. You definity should go RWD unless you need a more civilized ride, as they are faster and more viscious cars all around than the AWDs.

Although I try to avoid first MYs as a rule, I'm obviously partial to the 2014 Firesand V8 S launch car. Watch Jay Leno's Garage on youtube for the exact launch configuration.

He also makes some interesting comparisons to his 911 and Cayman collections, namely that "you can debate which handles better, but the V8 S is certainly a lot faster than the 911."

That Firesand car appears moslty red because of the digital camera sensor, its much oranger with yellower highlights and redder shadows in person. Its a gorgeous color when highly polished under natural sunlight.

Also, dyno results show the V8 S is more conservatively rated by Jag, it puts down the exact same whp as the V8 R in stock form. All V8 Jags have indentical engines. Software is tweaked a bit on the SVR for 25 more horses, but it also AWD only so those are more than lost to dual trannys-diffs.

So the best bet IMHO is a V8 RWD car that is still under the 7 year warranty. They soup up the same as any V8 version without the taming of AWD in wheel horsepower and driving dynamics, but do that after the warranty runs out.

Last edited by JIMLIGHTA; 02-01-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:43 AM
Banned

Clarification: Don't go RWD with a spouse who drives the car, unless you both like it rough. That's the kind of thing that can ruin a relationship.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

To best of my knowledge, AWD was not available on early F-types.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The price seems reasonable to me depending on the options on the car. I really like the color!

Quick Reply: looking for advice on purchasing a 2014 ftype