F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss in power between 2k-3k

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 02:35 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Loss in power between 2k-3k

i am having this weird issue with my car (v8r). I haven't tried to see if this occurs with the oem tune, but it happening now and I'm running the VAP tune, so the tune may not be related. However in 1st gear, and 3-8 the car pulls nice and linearly. However in 2nd gear after upshifting from 1st, the car will start to pull, then power is stripped around ~2.8k and the rpms fall to ~2.2k and then it finally starts to pull again. Does this happen to any of you with V8s? It troubles me and throws me off. It's very reproducible. Need to try to gopro the phenomenon.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
i am having this weird issue with my car (v8r). I haven't tried to see if this occurs with the oem tune, but it happening now and I'm running the VAP tune, so the tune may not be related. However in 1st gear, and 3-8 the car pulls nice and linearly. However in 2nd gear after upshifting from 1st, the car will start to pull, then power is stripped around ~2.8k and the rpms fall to ~2.2k and then it finally starts to pull again. Does this happen to any of you with V8s? It troubles me and throws me off. It's very reproducible. Need to try to gopro the phenomenon.
Put the OEM tune back on to see what happens. GoProing it won't help resolve the issue other than to prove it's a problem. (we believe you)

Old 07-02-2017, 07:14 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Nannies turned off? Could be a traction control issue?

Old 07-02-2017, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
Nannies turned off? Could be a traction control issue?
OOOh! Good point!!! I had the same phenomenon when I did the final power bump with the lower pulley. The power would shut down for a second or two after a vigorous first to second shift. I forgot about that. Put the car in TrackDSC. Issue goes away (as do the tires).

Old 07-02-2017, 07:32 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always noticed what felt like a cut in power on any spirited 1-2 shift, only in manual mode. I just assumed it was the electronics tyring to maintain traction/protect components and was perfectly normal.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

I had the same problem. Its almost like a hesitation when you're at part throttle but doesn't happen during WOT. Ask Chris at VAP to give you a tune with my throttle mapping and that should fix your problem.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:52 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I had the same problem. Its almost like a hesitation when you're at part throttle but doesn't happen during WOT. Ask Chris at VAP to give you a tune with my throttle mapping and that should fix your problem.
Yes this is exactly what happens. I'll reach out to Chris. I'll also see what happens when I'm in trackdsc mode.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

Yes this is exactly what happens. I'll reach out to Chris. I'll also see what happens when I'm in trackdsc mode.
Yup, its a pedal mapping issue. Not everyone gets this issue it would seem, but the OEM pedal cal gets a bit weird when you've added power. Took us months to figure it out and it was completely by accident.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:07 AM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

Plus two on trac dsc with VAP tune in v6. I noticed same event so if the roads are dry trac Dsc is very pliable. Bottom line I found, ask Unhingd he is almost always correct! I say that seriously.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stwsam
Plus two on trac dsc with VAP tune in v6. I noticed same event so if the roads are dry trac Dsc is very pliable. Bottom line I found, ask Unhingd he is almost always correct! I say that seriously.
I am going to defer on this one, but suggest giving the TracDSC (or no DSC) a try. Throttle mapping is one of the biggest challenges with tuning these engines. I have experienced the opposite of flat spotted throttle mapping. I have at least one throttle position at which there is a sudden power increase as you transition through that position. VAP was able to eliminate it on a milder tune (450hp) but it is still present on the hottest tune (456hp).