F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Options for SVR

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 04:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lowering Options for SVR

Any info for lowering a 2017 SVR? Did you use only springs? And if so, can you please comment on your experience?

Thank you.

Charles

Old 04-19-2018, 11:23 AM
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

i believe you can use the same lowering springs available for the v8 R AWD. its just lowering springs that you need.

http://www.velocityap.com/Jaguar-F-T...springsawd.htm

Old 04-19-2018, 02:16 PM

I've looked at, and considered, the VAP Springs. Do you have any experience with them?

Old 04-19-2018, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

The VAP springs will drop the car .75"-1.0". The H&R springs will drop the car 1.25"-1.5". They are both quality springs and I can't remember anyone who wasn't happy with either. Your choice between those two will depend on the ground clearances needed for your location.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-19-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:23 AM

VAP seem like the best choice for me. How well does the car align after install? I've lowered many cars before, and realize there will always be alignment concerns. Just curious how the F-Types align after lowering?

Old 04-24-2018, 10:28 AM
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by charles06
VAP seem like the best choice for me. How well does the car align after install? I've lowered many cars before, and realize there will always be alignment concerns. Just curious how the F-Types align after lowering?
Going lower results in more negative camber generally.

I'd like to lower my SVR but the front ride height for me is pretty much spot on and I feel 1/2" would be too much in front as it already scrapes sometimes.

The rear does however sit a touch high, problem is with adjusting the stock rake by lowering rear more than front you change handling dynamics, thus by lowering rear more than front percentage wise will induce more understeer, not necessarily a bad thing as I find the handling balance on the SVR neutral with a hint of oversteer under power, it really never pushes, always turns in so well.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:38 AM

Thank you for your reply, and I understand all of those results/concerns. For reference, I also own a 2011 Porsche GT3, lowered on stock PASM coilovers with an RSS Stage 2 Tarmac Kit. Some of that RSS Kit was installed to get the alignment I was looking for.

I remember reading somewhere that there is not enough adjustment on the F-Type to get back to within a reasonable alignment, i.e. close to stock. Is this true? I drive the SVR more than the GT3, so I don't want to run through tires more quickly.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:07 AM

Thank you for your reply, and I understand all of those results/concerns. For reference, I also own a 2011 Porsche GT3, lowered on stock PASM coilovers with an RSS Stage 2 Tarmac Kit. Some of that RSS Kit was installed to get the alignment I was looking for.

I remember reading somewhere that there is not enough adjustment on the F-Type to get back to within a reasonable alignment, i.e. close to stock. Is this true? I drive the SVR more than the GT3, so I don't want to run through tires more quickly.
Don't have my alignment to hand, but if I remember right the rear camber is fixed, you cannot adjust it, but saying that I think it sits around -1.00 and as the lowering is a small amount I suspect you'd be only adding around half a degree so not end of the world. I think the only adjustment on the rear is toe.

If memory serves me right, on the front you can adjust both camber and toe.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo205

The rear does however sit a touch high, problem is with adjusting the stock rake by lowering rear more than front you change handling dynamics, thus by lowering rear more than front percentage wise will induce more understeer, not necessarily a bad thing as I find the handling balance on the SVR neutral with a hint of oversteer under power, it really never pushes, always turns in so well.
My H&Rs lowered the from 1.25 and the rear 1.5" . Resolves the OEM California rake issue and results in a more neutral handling car.

The VAP drop is mild enough to allow camber adjustment at the front and leave the rear within spec. With the H&R drop, the front can be adjusted to just stay within spec, but the rear camber will just be a bit out of spec.

Don't have my alignment to hand, but if I remember right the rear camber is fixed, you cannot adjust it, but saying that I think it sits around -1.00 and as the lowering is a small amount I suspect you'd be only adding around half a degree so not end of the world. I think the only adjustment on the rear is toe.

If memory serves me right, on the front you can adjust both camber and toe.
Correct. Toe, camber, and I believe caster can be adjusted on the front, but only toe on the back.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:06 PM

Thank you, both. Those were the answers I was looking for.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:15 PM

Thank you, both. Those were the answers I was looking for.

So you going with the VAP springs?

If so please do give feedback and plenty of pictures, really interested in impact if any on ride quality on poor roads when suspension is in normal.

Something I really love about the SVR is how amazingly compliant and supple it is over rough surfaces and poor roads when in normal and how going to dynamic really firms it up quite a bit.

Don't want to lose that compliance and also don't want to be too low at front.

Last thing if you do it, please weigh the new springs and weigh the stock springs as VAP claim weight reduction but don't say how much.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gibbo205:
Greggbhill (04-25-2018), mlebofsky (04-24-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 05:26 AM

Oh I discovered KW HAS springs, I would take those over VAP springs to be honest as I feel VAP lowers front too much with KW HAS you can adjust your ride height to dial in perfect stance, you might even be able to corner weight as well.

KW HAS all the way!

Old 04-25-2018, 09:57 AM

^^^ Thank you. I'll look into those, as well.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:03 AM

KW doesn't show an application for anything but a V6.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:41 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

I have the VAP springs on my car. The rears are still on but the springs caused problems with my front struts and I had to get the whole front strut assembly and springs replaced and now the front is back to stock. I just did this yesterday. Going to examine the old struts with VAP springs today to see what went wrong.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:42 AM

KW doesn't show an application for anything but a V6.

They definitely do them:
KW Coilover kits and Coilover springs for Jaguar F-Type now available | KW

https://www.vividracing.com/has-kit-...151345029.html

https://clptuning.co.uk/product/kw-h...jaguar-f-type/

Maybe drop an email to KW, I think they use same spring rates for V6/V8 with only options being 2WD or 4WD models.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:14 PM

They definitely do them:
KW Coilover kits and Coilover springs for Jaguar F-Type now available | KW

https://www.vividracing.com/has-kit-...151345029.html

https://clptuning.co.uk/product/kw-h...jaguar-f-type/

Maybe drop an email to KW, I think they use same spring rates for V6/V8 with only options being 2WD or 4WD models.

NOOOOOOOOO! KW only offers height adjustable springs for the RWD models of the F-Type....

I know because i bought a set of the KW last year from JRP, but i confirmed with a KW rep that they will not work for the AWD models. the rear springs will work but not the front. Now i have to go through the hassle of returning them. If you go on the KW site the springs they offer (Part # 25331003) only works on the RWD versions of the v6 and v8 f type.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by abhishriv
NOOOOOOOOO! KW only offers height adjustable springs for the RWD models of the F-Type....

I know because i bought a set of the KW last year from JRP, but i confirmed with a KW rep that they will not work for the AWD models. the rear springs will work but not the front. Now i have to go through the hassle of returning them. If you go on the KW site the springs they offer (Part # 25331003) only works on the RWD versions of the v6 and v8 f type.

You need part # 25331005 for the AWD spring kit.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:37 PM

You need part # 25331005 for the AWD spring kit.
interesting... couldn't find it on kwsuspensions.com, and the rep from there i was dealing with said they didn't have anything for the AWD f-types.... maybe they don't have it available in north America?

Old 04-25-2018, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by zmoothg
I have the VAP springs on my car. The rears are still on but the springs caused problems with my front struts and I had to get the whole front strut assembly and springs replaced and now the front is back to stock. I just did this yesterday. Going to examine the old struts with VAP springs today to see what went wrong.
Please keep us posted. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Lowering Options for SVR