F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MASSIVE Failure. Loss of Power. Error Messages

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,134 Likes on 2,310 Posts

Jaguar salesman / service advisor: "They all do that sir".

Old 10-25-2017, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Mine had the crazy behavior that was traced to a corroded grounding wire in front of car and loose grounding wire in the trunk. Problem has not returned.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:29 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonKiller
So, this is my loaner now...WTF?
WTF is right!!! You have more patience than me Sir!
Am I the only one that gets anxious reading these types of Threads?

Old 10-25-2017, 09:01 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,078 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Are you radioactive? Or perhaps you're Magneto.

Old 10-25-2017, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

So, this is my loaner now...
Oh boy. Do you by any chance plug anything unusual into 12v port? Like an extended battery pack, coffee warmer, or Chinese-made third-party car charger for your phone?

Old 10-25-2017, 10:12 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by SinF
Oh boy. Do you by any chance plug anything unusual into 12v port? Like an extended battery pack, coffee warmer, or Chinese-made third-party car charger for your phone?
None of that. Mongolian-made yak ***** was the only thing, sir!

The following 2 users liked this post by BostonKiller:
F-TypeRookie (10-30-2017), SinF (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 12:51 PM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Lol. You guys wouldn't last a day in the GM/Ford world.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

None of that. Mongolian-made yak ***** was the only thing, sir!
This shouldn't be an issue, everyone has one these days and the car's charging system adapted for it. Some even have a designated yak port in the armrest or glove box. However, don't let the LEO see you touch it, it is illegal to operate it in most states while driving. Unless it has a hands free setup.

Last edited by SinF; 10-25-2017 at 02:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BostonKiller (10-25-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 11:12 AM

UPDATE:
Wrote an email and asked Jaguar San Diego service advisor Jeremy to officially initiate the buy back procedure on the F Type.
I thought about it long and hard and even if they say the issue is determined and eliminated I would still feel very unsafe driving the car. I love it to death, but don't want it to actually kill me. I am sure you'd all understand.
They seemed to have agreed with me and promised to get back on Monday (today). So far I've heard nothing from them, but it's still early in the day here.
I figured that with all the payments I've made and the insurance and registration I've spent about $15,000 on the F Type since last August, so this is the amount I'd want from them back. If they want to nickel and dime me ("good miles vs bad miles", etc), I'll unfortunately have to go to the lawyers again. Don't want to do it, it takes long, but I'll recover a lot more, undoubtedly. However, given the severity and the potential danger of the issue I am sure they'll do the right thing.
I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member

Usually, dealers a lot more cooperative in this process if you do swap instead of just return, as they get a sale out of it.

Old 10-30-2017, 02:23 PM
Red face

Originally Posted by SinF
Usually, dealers a lot more cooperative in this process if you do swap instead of just return, as they get a sale out of it.
I am sure you're right, but Jaguar San Diego doesn't have any cars I'd be interested in. Plus, last few times they did not want to sell me a car. I ended up getting both the XF and the F Type from Mission Viejo instead.

Old 10-31-2017, 07:28 AM
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Welcome to vehicle ownership. Cars sometimes have problems.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:44 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Any updates on the car?

Old 11-21-2017, 11:26 AM

I have picked up the car on 11/17, after it was in the shop for 3+weeks (total time in the shop is in excess of 50 days at this point; more than enough to be lemoned). Seems to drive ok now, but not taking many chances with it.
Still waiting for JLR North America to get back to me with a buy-back offer. They asked to wait for 30 days, as of 11/2.
I absolutely love the car and would like to maintain a good relationship with Jaguar, but if I don't hear from them by 12/2 things will get quiet ugly, I am afraid...

The following 2 users liked this post by BostonKiller:
JagRag (11-21-2017), LobsterClaws (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 12:22 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

I have picked up the car on 11/17, after it was in the shop for 3+weeks (total time in the shop is in excess of 50 days at this point; more than enough to be lemoned). Seems to drive ok now, but not taking many chances with it.
Still waiting for JLR North America to get back to me with a buy-back offer. They asked to wait for 30 days, as of 11/2.
I absolutely love the car and would like to maintain a good relationship with Jaguar, but if I don't hear from them by 12/2 things will get quiet ugly, I am afraid...
What did they say they fixed?

Old 11-21-2017, 12:54 PM
Question

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
What did they say they fixed?
San Diego Jaguar said it was due to a "pitched harness" that resulted from "repair done by another dealership" prior to the car being sold to me.
They could not answer why it only manifested itself after some months of use though.

Does it sound plausible to you?

Old 11-21-2017, 12:57 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Makes sense. A pinched harness would behave like this. Gradually the insulation wears off over time, and then you get intermittent seemingly random shorts leading to the car freaking out. Finding a damaged harness can be a very long process. If they replaced it, this could indeed be the end of the problems.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by 15FTypeR
Makes sense. A pinched harness would behave like this. Gradually the insulation wears off over time, and then you get intermittent seemingly random shorts leading to the car freaking out. Finding a pinched harness is a very long process. If they replaced it, this could indeed be the end of the problems.
Got it and thank you!
Still not feeling totally safe driving the car and want to return it though.
We'll see what happens.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:17 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

San Diego Jaguar said it was due to a "pitched harness" that resulted from "repair done by another dealership" prior to the car being sold to me.
They could not answer why it only manifested itself after some months of use though.

Does it sound plausible to you?

I had a similar issue on Mercedes C300 I used to own. The car would intermittently go into limp mode and throw a CEL. It would clear if you restarted but it progressively got worse. Finally 3 tows to the dealer, each time with them saying that they found the problem and that it ultimately was a throttle pedal sensor... got it back and it did it again.

Then I had a friend look at it and as soon as he took off the engine cover, he said "here's your problem right here"... The wiring harness for the throttle was rubbing on the serpentine belt. It wore through the covering and was creating a short which is why it became more frequent.

He found the problem right away when the dealer couldn't after 3 attempts. It was a $20 fix that cost me $1,000.00 plus inconvenience and towing fees.

So yes, it definitely does happen!!!

Sometimes it takes a second, or third set of eyes to diagnose a problem.

Hopefully this takes care of your issue and you can enjoy your car as intended.

BostonKiller (11-21-2017)
Old 12-14-2017, 12:02 PM
Thumbs up UPDATE

Jaguar North America have been in touch with me for the last 2 weeks or so. They have agreed to repurchase the car as a per California Lemon Law and to refund all my payments.

So far, I must say I've been impressed with their handling of my case. I was a witness to BMW and Maserati treating their customers like commodities when they reported lemons, so this was a nice surprise. Coincidentally, ALL those manufacturers got their collective asses handed to them by lawyers, which brings the question: what was the point? To make your own customers feel like ****? But I digress.

I'm going to be bringing the car for the inspection this week and I was told to expect a check with in 3 weeks or so.

If everything goes according to this timeline I see no need to employ legal help, but if they all of a sudden start claiming something else (let's say, "excessive wear and tear", etc) and refuse to pay me back in full, I do have a law firm ready that helped me sue VW of North America before.

Hopefully it won't come to that, but doesn't hurt to be prepared!

Last edited by BostonKiller; 12-14-2017 at 12:13 PM.
SinF (12-15-2017)