Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Model and Configuration Opinions Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Model and Configuration Opinions Welcome

Hello all,

First post, but I must say this forum has really impressed me with the high level of great information in the posts. Current Range Rover Evoque owner, getting ready to pull the trigger on an F-Type Coupe. Trouble is, I'm ALL over the map on exactly how to configure it... or even which model to choose. Anyone's experiences are appreciated to help me make a decision.

The things I know: Either Polaris White or Rhodium Silver. 19" Centrifuge Wheels in Black. Black Pack. Pano Roof. Switchable Sport Exhaust. Ok... maybe I don't know about any of these either

Here's what I'm stuck on. I'm not sure which of the 3 models I'm leaning towards. I could stretch for the R, but I don't have unlimited funds, so budget is something I must consider (unfortunately!). The sound of the R is incredible, as is the BHP, but I'm not sure it's $35k or so more incredible than the V6 models. I've tested the V6S in ragtop form, and had the salesman fire up the V8. I declined a drive in the V8 as I wasn't ready to buy at the moment and don't think it's fair to put miles on the dealer car unnecessarily until I'm ready to actually make a decision. I WILL drive the R before I actually order, but for now I'm leaning towards the V6 versions.

So 2 basic questions: How much different is the Base vs. S model? Since I'm getting the switchable exhaust, I'm guessing the sound is the same. The 0-60 times are .2-.3 different, so I don't see much there that would matter day in and day out. Does the configurable dynamic option on the V6S make enough of a difference that it would be a "must have" option and steer me towards that version?

Secondly: I read a lot of folks saying that they would ABSOLUTELY get the Vision Pack as an option. I have something very similar on my Evoque and love it. But if you select that option, it forces you to add the Premium and Climate pack on the base for a total of $5200. Not that those aren't good options as well, but it's definitely more of a decision than just adding the Vision Pack. Similar story on the S... I think it bangs things up around $3500 or so. I'm torn between being budget conscious and getting a stripped out base model, which keeps the car around $72,000 all in (which is a GREAT value in my opinion), or just saying sod it, and doing multiple upgrades, dragging the price up to around $87,000 or so. Or REALLY saying sod it and going for the R.

I apologize for being all over the map here, I'm just wondering if folks that have lived with these different configurations find the value worth the money. Thanks a bunch.

Cheers

Old 06-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regarding the V6 and the V8 I can't help you since I haven't tried them but I know the sound is about the same. Some even prefer the V6 since it is a bit less obnoxious.

You can add every option of the vision pack as individual features so you don't have to get the climate stuff. You might check with your dealer how much difference there is in price since you might get a discount for there whole pack.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Comparing the Base and S models, there is one reason to seriously consider the S - and it is not the HP. The increase in HP and torque only comes at the end of RPM range (look at the curves). How often to you spend at that rpm's in normal driving.

What does make a difference are the dynamic dampers in the suspension. I found the base to be a bit harsh on normal road conditions. The dynamic dampers which are standard on the S really smoothed out the ride. They were the only reason I went up to the S. The base is clearly the best value - the S is not worth the premium for the HP and $11K increase is alot for some dampers. I know the LSD on the S is something but for a daily driver on dry roads, I don't get the benefit.

The base looks a bit goofy with the smaller wheels - because all manufacturers have now trained us that thin rubber looks better. So that chips into the S premium.

Vision - I think it is a must. sightlines out the back are pretty poor. The low seating position has you looking over a bulbous hood. Add to that a low front spoiler and now it is pretty easy to tap the curb. The other stuff in the vision pack are barely noticeable and I would not pay for them if I could have.

Configurable dynamics - not worth it. Fun to play with a few times, but you end up just using the factory settings and the switch by the shifter.

My two cents.

The following users liked this post:
PD2911 (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I drove all of them (minus the R or Coupe)... I have an S vert now and I am 100% in he mood to trade it in for at least a V8 vert, but most likely the R. I wish I would have just pulled trigger on V8 when I bought the car. Would have saved me trouble of selling/rebuying.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

Are you buying or leasing. How long do you normally keep cars?

Old 06-18-2014, 06:48 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

It seems like I read the V8 0-60 time was around 1 second faster than the S model. Didn't seem worth the $10K - $15 additional cost and lesser mileage.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:17 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

To address two points.

The V6 and V8 engines do not sound the same. They are very different. I personally think the V8 is much better, but both sound great. They do not sound the same though.

Also, the V8 is much, much, quicker than either V6 model. The V8 is turning in 0-60 times in tests that bear no resemblance to the factory times. That's not necessarily only what this car is about, but the V8 is one insanely quick car.

Last edited by swajames; 06-18-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
To address two points.

The V6 and V8 engines do not sound the same. They are very different. I personally think the V8 is much better, but both sound great. They do not sound the same though.

Also, the V8 is much, much, quicker than either V6 model. The V8 is turning in 0-60 times in tests that bear no resemblance to the factory times. That's not necessarily only what this car is about, but the V8 is one insanely quick car.
Agreed

Old 06-18-2014, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by sn4p
Regarding the V6 and the V8 I can't help you since I haven't tried them but I know the sound is about the same. Some even prefer the V6 since it is a bit less obnoxious.

You can add every option of the vision pack as individual features so you don't have to get the climate stuff. You might check with your dealer how much difference there is in price since you might get a discount for there whole pack.
Ahhhh very very good to know. Thanks so much for the info. I'll check with my dealer and see what the individual prices are.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by mhawman
Comparing the Base and S models, there is one reason to seriously consider the S - and it is not the HP. The increase in HP and torque only comes at the end of RPM range (look at the curves). How often to you spend at that rpm's in normal driving.

What does make a difference are the dynamic dampers in the suspension. I found the base to be a bit harsh on normal road conditions. The dynamic dampers which are standard on the S really smoothed out the ride. They were the only reason I went up to the S. The base is clearly the best value - the S is not worth the premium for the HP and $11K increase is alot for some dampers. I know the LSD on the S is something but for a daily driver on dry roads, I don't get the benefit.

The base looks a bit goofy with the smaller wheels - because all manufacturers have now trained us that thin rubber looks better. So that chips into the S premium.

Vision - I think it is a must. sightlines out the back are pretty poor. The low seating position has you looking over a bulbous hood. Add to that a low front spoiler and now it is pretty easy to tap the curb. The other stuff in the vision pack are barely noticeable and I would not pay for them if I could have.

Configurable dynamics - not worth it. Fun to play with a few times, but you end up just using the factory settings and the switch by the shifter.

My two cents.
This is EXACTLY the type of info I was looking for. Great writeup. Thanks very much

Old 06-18-2014, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by New2Jag
I drove all of them (minus the R or Coupe)... I have an S vert now and I am 100% in he mood to trade it in for at least a V8 vert, but most likely the R. I wish I would have just pulled trigger on V8 when I bought the car. Would have saved me trouble of selling/rebuying.
Interesting indeed. If I may ask, what are you finding lacking in the V6S right now? Is it sound, quickness, handling? All 3? Thanks for the feedback

Old 06-18-2014, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Are you buying or leasing. How long do you normally keep cars?
Great question, and one that I haven't decided on yet. I normally buy cars, and have had that be good an bad depending on how long I keep them.... Sometimes I end up selling in a year because I don't like the thing. But my NSX I kept for 7 years and my M3 for 6, so when I find a car I like I tend to keep it for the long haul. I like to believe the F-Type will be a longer held car, but it's tough to tell that from just a test drive. I was sure I was going to be too big for it at 6'5" and about 215#, and was grateful to the dealership for letting me test the car to see that I indeed do fit comfortably.

Thanks to those on this forum, I've been introduced to the PenFed Savings Loan option, which seems to operate like a lease but with a really good rate. That's something I'll look into for sure when it comes time to do the financing.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Philipintexas
It seems like I read the V8 0-60 time was around 1 second faster than the S model. Didn't seem worth the $10K - $15 additional cost and lesser mileage.
Indeed that's what I'm seeing as well. My brief stint in the V6S didn't make me think that it was worth the extra $$, as it felt plenty quick. However, I'm worried that when I drive the R I will be addicted to sound and quickness.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by swajames
To address two points.

Thanks for posting this. The V8 sound is absolutely in a league of it's own. The V6 I'm hoping is "good enough". Same with the acceleration. It's a large premium to pay for that extra sound and speed. Good to hear your opinion that the difference is indeed quite noticeable.

BTW.... Is the SWA in your signature for Southwest Airlines? I'm a United pilot so I was curious. Cheers mate.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts
Default A contrarian view

So, I bought the V6.
This is the first car I've owned where I haven't bought the top of the line model.

My reasons were:
  • I'm not an aggressive driver, and I don't track the car.
  • I change cars frequently and the difference between the V6 and the R is 30K+. I'd rather spend that money absorbing an extra year of depreciation and switching my car a year earlier, than upgrading this car.
  • I'd be spending the $30K to buy additional performance which is way outside the performance envelope I actually use for the car. I can see why the V8 would make sense for forum members who are enthusiasts or who love extra power for its own sake, but for me, personally, it would be pure vanity which I can do without.
  • I'm involved in some environmental technology investments and couldn't bring myself to unnecessarily burn gas in a V8.
  • I'm a design nerd and realized that there is very little difference between the V6 and V8 models design-wise.
  • The sound on the V6 is ferocious and intoxicating. The V8 is even more brutish, but although there is a difference we are talking about the difference between an A and an A+. I bought the V6 with the active exhaust option and have found that I leave it off most of the time because even without it on, the engine sound instantly rubbernecks heads of everyone I pass. That said, I would absolutely recommend that option if you get the V6.

The final point I'd make is: this is a car that is capable of an enormous range of expressions. Unlike a Ferrari or a BMW, the F-Type is able to be classy, elegant, aggressive, muscle, gangster, or track-ready depending on what options and colors you choose. So rather than paying attention to the endless magazine obsession with 0-60 times and engine size, I'd suggest taking advantage of the F-Type's versatility and figuring out how you want to design your own, personal driver's experience. Perhaps you'll find it has much more to do with color than with horsepower (or vice versa!) but I think you'll be that much happier with your decision in the end.

In this vein, I optioned mine more for restrained elegance than for road muscle...more James Bond than Dario Franchitti. For this, I didn't need the V8 at all....just the V6 with a judicious set of options.

And it is sublime....it's the least expensive car I've owned in the past decade, but it's the most satisfying by far!

Last edited by schraderade; 06-18-2014 at 09:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by schraderade:
PD2911 (06-18-2014), RickyJay52 (11-06-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 10:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you elaborate on these dampers? Can the be added manually to a base order? I ordered the base model after test driving the S (didn't have a base for test drive) and was told the engines were exactly the same except for the HP. One of my main concerns is driving on the horrible roads in my city. I am coming form an Evoque and the drive was similar to S based on the test drive but not concerned since I haven't drove a base.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:08 PM
Received 98 Likes on 56 Posts

767Cap,

I would highly recommend you look at the used market also. Lots of cars popping up daily at huge discounts to the original sticker. Case in point. I just purchased my V8 S Vert a few weeks ago.

Orig sticker: $105K, All options except ceramic brakes, 6,000 miles for $81K. There are very good deals to be found if you are patient. Plus you can easily non-rev anywhere to look at the available vehicles.

For me the V8 S over the S was not even a consideration. With 2 Porsche TTS's and a former F-14 pilot background I had to have the HP. :-)
(Although I am not sure why Jag did not give the V8S 550HP also dammit!)

Good luck with your search!

Walt-Delta Pilot

Old 06-18-2014, 11:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ftypel
Can you elaborate on these dampers? Can the be added manually to a base order? I ordered the base model after test driving the S (didn't have a base for test drive) and was told the engines were exactly the same except for the HP. One of my main concerns is driving on the horrible roads in my city. I am coming form an Evoque and the drive was similar to S based on the test drive but not concerned since I haven't drove a base.

The engines are the same except for the HP rating executed through software.

The suspensions are different. Check the Jaguar website. The suspension on the S states: "Standard on F-TYPE S and V8 S models, Adaptive Dynamics is a continuously variable damping system that actively controls the pitch and roll rates of the body as the car maneuvers around curves.4 It can also predict pitch and dive from throttle and brake inputs, and proactively adjust the shock absorbers to preemptively control body movement"

The description of the base model suspension is: "In addition to its aluminum-alloy body and engine, the F-TYPE also features light but strong aluminum components in its sport-tuned suspension system. The strength of these alloys allows precise suspension tuning, while their low mass reduces unsprung weight for more responsive handling"

If the dynamic suspension was an option on the Base model, I would have gone there and not leased an S - but I think Jaguar knows that. i am pleased with a noticeably improved ride. The ride on the base and S are not the same. It is not a huge difference, but noticeable. It absorbs the road defects more adeptly. Your salesperson should have been aware of that.

Also the lease factor on the S was 0.004 and the base was 0.011 so they were clearly trying to move the S in mid-May. However, the residual on a 3 year lease was 3 points better on the Base which was very interesting. Net effect for me was that the S was about the same lease payment as the Base. Purchased off the lot and had a capitalized cost $6K below list.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

Mhawman, what were the residual numbers Jag was offering? Was this for the coupe?

Old 06-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

The engines are the same except for the HP rating executed through software.

The suspensions are different. Check the Jaguar website. The suspension on the S states: "Standard on F-TYPE S and V8 S models, Adaptive Dynamics is a continuously variable damping system that actively controls the pitch and roll rates of the body as the car maneuvers around curves.4 It can also predict pitch and dive from throttle and brake inputs, and proactively adjust the shock absorbers to preemptively control body movement"

The description of the base model suspension is: "In addition to its aluminum-alloy body and engine, the F-TYPE also features light but strong aluminum components in its sport-tuned suspension system. The strength of these alloys allows precise suspension tuning, while their low mass reduces unsprung weight for more responsive handling"

If the dynamic suspension was an option on the Base model, I would have gone there and not leased an S - but I think Jaguar knows that. i am pleased with a noticeably improved ride. The ride on the base and S are not the same. It is not a huge difference, but noticeable. It absorbs the road defects more adeptly. Your salesperson should have been aware of that.

Also the lease factor on the S was 0.004 and the base was 0.011 so they were clearly trying to move the S in mid-May. However, the residual on a 3 year lease was 3 points better on the Base which was very interesting. Net effect for me was that the S was about the same lease payment as the Base. Purchased off the lot and had a capitalized cost $6K below list.

You purchased the coupe for 6k below MSRP??

Quick Reply: Model and Configuration Opinions Welcome