Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Model and Configuration Opinions Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 12:10 PM
Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
So, I bought the V6.
This is the first car I've owned where I haven't bought the top of the line model.

My reasons were:
  • I'm not an aggressive driver, and I don't track the car.
  • I change cars frequently and the difference between the V6 and the R is 30K+. I'd rather spend that money absorbing an extra year of depreciation and switching my car a year earlier, than upgrading this car.
  • I'd be spending the $30K to buy additional performance which is way outside the performance envelope I actually use for the car. I can see why the V8 would make sense for forum members who are enthusiasts or who love extra power for its own sake, but for me, personally, it would be pure vanity which I can do without.
  • I'm involved in some environmental technology investments and couldn't bring myself to unnecessarily burn gas in a V8.
  • I'm a design nerd and realized that there is very little difference between the V6 and V8 models design-wise.
  • The sound on the V6 is ferocious and intoxicating. The V8 is even more brutish, but although there is a difference we are talking about the difference between an A and an A+. I bought the V6 with the active exhaust option and have found that I leave it off most of the time because even without it on, the engine sound instantly rubbernecks heads of everyone I pass. That said, I would absolutely recommend that option if you get the V6.

The final point I'd make is: this is a car that is capable of an enormous range of expressions. Unlike a Ferrari or a BMW, the F-Type is able to be classy, elegant, aggressive, muscle, gangster, or track-ready depending on what options and colors you choose. So rather than paying attention to the endless magazine obsession with 0-60 times and engine size, I'd suggest taking advantage of the F-Type's versatility and figuring out how you want to design your own, personal driver's experience. Perhaps you'll find it has much more to do with color than with horsepower (or vice versa!) but I think you'll be that much happier with your decision in the end.

In this vein, I optioned mine more for restrained elegance than for road muscle...more James Bond than Dario Franchitti. For this, I didn't need the V8 at all....just the V6 with a judicious set of options.

And it is sublime....it's the least expensive car I've owned in the past decade, but it's the most satisfying by far!
Fantastic write up. Thanks so much for sharing your experience

Old 06-19-2014, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by WaltBurkett
767Cap,

I would highly recommend you look at the used market also. Lots of cars popping up daily at huge discounts to the original sticker. Case in point. I just purchased my V8 S Vert a few weeks ago.

Orig sticker: $105K, All options except ceramic brakes, 6,000 miles for $81K. There are very good deals to be found if you are patient. Plus you can easily non-rev anywhere to look at the available vehicles.

For me the V8 S over the S was not even a consideration. With 2 Porsche TTS's and a former F-14 pilot background I had to have the HP. :-)
(Although I am not sure why Jag did not give the V8S 550HP also dammit!)

Good luck with your search!

Walt-Delta Pilot
Hahahaha!!!! Great stuff Walt! Us pilots seem to need the power =)

Great thoughts regarding used. Might do that and wait for a used R in a year or so.

What are you flying? Man you guys at Delta are crushing it!

Cheers

Miles

Old 06-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

[QUOTE=schraderade;998197]So, I bought the V6.
This is the first car I've owned where I haven't bought the top of the line model.

My reasons were:
  • I'm not an aggressive driver, and I don't track the car.
  • I change cars frequently and the difference between the V6 and the R is 30K+. I'd rather spend that money absorbing an extra year of depreciation and switching my car a year earlier, than upgrading this car.
  • I'd be spending the $30K to buy additional performance which is way outside the performance envelope I actually use for the car. I can see why the V8 would make sense for forum members who are enthusiasts or who love extra power for its own sake, but for me, personally, it would be pure vanity which I can do without.
  • I'm involved in some environmental technology investments and couldn't bring myself to unnecessarily burn gas in a V8.
  • I'm a design nerd and realized that there is very little difference between the V6 and V8 models design-wise.
  • The sound on the V6 is ferocious and intoxicating. The V8 is even more brutish, but although there is a difference we are talking about the difference between an A and an A+. I bought the V6 with the active exhaust option and have found that I leave it off most of the time because even without it on, the engine sound instantly rubbernecks heads of everyone I pass. That said, I would absolutely recommend that option if you get the V6.

The final point I'd make is: this is a car that is capable of an enormous range of expressions. Unlike a Ferrari or a BMW, the F-Type is able to be classy, elegant, aggressive, muscle, gangster, or track-ready depending on what options and colors you choose. So rather than paying attention to the endless magazine obsession with 0-60 times and engine size, I'd suggest taking advantage of the F-Type's versatility and figuring out how you want to design your own, personal driver's experience. Perhaps you'll find it has much more to do with color than with horsepower (or vice versa!) but I think you'll be that much happier with your decision in the end.

In this vein, I optioned mine more for restrained elegance than for road muscle...more James Bond than Dario Franchitti. For this, I didn't need the V8 at all....just the V6 with a judicious set of options.

And it is sublime....it's the least expensive car I've owned in the past decade, but it's the most satisfying by far![/QUOTe

Although I opted for the R and the V8, I really enjoyed your perspective. I thought your take on what options are chosen will determine the general sense of the car.. ie: muscle (black pack, black wheels) is spot on. My approach seems to have been a bit middle of the road, possibly leaning to elegant or classy with a bit of an edge... your explanation brought this home, as I had not previously considered just how broad a palette the F type represents.
Lawrence

Old 06-19-2014, 03:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PD2911
[/SIZE][/B][/I]
You purchased the coupe for 6k below MSRP??
I leased a S vert with a capitalized cost of $86K off of a $92K list.

If I remember correctly the base residual was 50-51% and the S residual was $47%.

The following users liked this post:
PD2911 (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 03:38 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Although I opted for the R and the V8, I really enjoyed your perspective. I thought your take on what options are chosen will determine the general sense of the car.. ie: muscle (black pack, black wheels) is spot on. My approach seems to have been a bit middle of the road, possibly leaning to elegant or classy with a bit of an edge... your explanation brought this home, as I had not previously considered just how broad a palette the F type represents.
Lawrence
Lawrence, remind me of the basic exterior combination you ordered.
I know... I could probably dig it up via the search function, but I'm feeling lazy.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike
Lawrence, remind me of the basic exterior combination you ordered.
I know... I could probably dig it up via the search function, but I'm feeling lazy.
Attached, I hope, is a picture, although for some reason the angle doesn't seem to catch proportions of the car all that well.
..Italian racing red
..Jet / camel seat
..camel seat belt
..Gyrodyne black and diamond wheels
..Alloy spare
..Heated windscreen
..Illumined treadplate
If I find some other pictures I'll post them.
Lawrence

Attached Thumbnails Model and Configuration Opinions Welcome-photo-1-1-.jpg  
PD2911 (06-19-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Attached, I hope, is a picture, although for some reason the angle doesn't seem to catch proportions of the car all that well.
To your earlier point, the color totally changes the personality of the car IMO.
The coupe looks really great in red....very evocative of Pininfarina desogm!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member

To your earlier point, the color totally changes the personality of the car IMO.
The coupe looks really great in red....very evocative of Pininfarina desogm!
Oh yea.. I'm really loving this car.. the more I drive it, the better it gets. Picking a colour was a tough choice, anyway this red is really good in the sunlight and I can't seem to capture that in a picture.
For those who have earlier queried the look of Gyrodyne black diamond wheels, I believe if you double click on the picture once it opens, you can get a close up of the wheels.
Lawrence.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member

I can't seem to capture that in a picture.
So, after looking at my stratus, I figured out why.
The xirallic paint is deeply enhanced by the reflections from the metallic nanoparticles suspended in the paint.
These just don't get captured well by cameras because: (a) most cameras don't have the resolution to capture the particles; and (b) for cameras that do, the digital noise filters will treat a lot of the lustre as speckle and filter it out.

As a result the paints looks dull/opaque in most photos, and doesn't "pop" at all.

The following 2 users liked this post by schraderade:
Mulmur (06-20-2014), RickyJay52 (11-06-2014)
Old 06-19-2014, 10:37 PM
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mhawman
I leased a S vert with a capitalized cost of $86K off of a $92K list.

If I remember correctly the base residual was 50-51% and the S residual was $47%.
Thanks for clarifying! If you had bought a coupe for that I was going to ask for your salesperson's name.
I've purchased 3 of my Jags from one dealership and 2 from another dealership and neither one are giving discounts on the coupe. To anyone so they say.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for clarifying! If you had bought a coupe for that I was going to ask for your salesperson's name.
I've purchased 3 of my Jags from one dealership and 2 from another dealership and neither one are giving discounts on the coupe. To anyone so they say.
I got mine at a meagre $1.5k below msrp in northern California. There are no dealer incentives for the coupe yet.

My dealer was quite constructive because they were willing to give me the $1.5k plus whatever dealer rebates were available at the time of delivery (Jaguar announces these every 2 months). Unfortunately when mine was delivered there weren't any rebates for the coupe. You may want to try something similar.

PD2911 (06-20-2014)
Old 06-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks, I will speak to the GM about it. I thought my order was going in at the first of June, but the special allocation has not come through yet. The GM has all the specs in the system but can't send the order through yet. The LR-Jag Rep has given me the next special allocation in the South East Region, just waiting on approval. If approval doesn't come through next week then I get the dealership's July allocation. That being the case my F-Type S most likely be here in September. Maybe by then there will be some form of incentive.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:47 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I got the V6-S for the adaptive suspension mainly, because the ride is smoother; the little extra HP and limited slip diff were just the icing for me. The Sport steering wheel is fantastic but you have to buy the Performance Pack which I didn't really need. I strongly recommend people get the Active Exhaust (comes w/ Perf Pack, but can be ordered separately); it amplifies the F-Type's superb exhaust note and adds 'bite'. Also the optional Performance seats are comfortable, and the suede-cloth interior option adds a nice 'bespoke' touch.

Last edited by pabanker; 06-20-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltBurkett
767Cap,

I would highly recommend you look at the used market also. Lots of cars popping up daily at huge discounts to the original sticker. Case in point. I just purchased my V8 S Vert a few weeks ago.

Orig sticker: $105K, All options except ceramic brakes, 6,000 miles for $81K. There are very good deals to be found if you are patient. Plus you can easily non-rev anywhere to look at the available vehicles.

For me the V8 S over the S was not even a consideration. With 2 Porsche TTS's and a former F-14 pilot background I had to have the HP. :-)
(Although I am not sure why Jag did not give the V8S 550HP also dammit!)

Good luck with your search!

Walt-Delta Pilot
You're missing the steam catapult? The R I test drove did 0-110 faster than any car I've previously driven, so could be a good choice...

Old 06-21-2014, 06:45 PM
Received 98 Likes on 56 Posts

I do miss the catapults. 0-130MPH in about 1.5 seconds.

Want to talk about acceleration? Not much out there that can beat a tuned 997 Turbo S.
The F-Type does not even compare to my TTS in performance but when I walk in my garage to go for a drive, I keep going to the Jag for some reason.

Interestingly I have never been interested in Jags but this F Type V8 S just speaks to me and after obsessing over it for a few weeks I knew I had to have one. Will I get rid of the Porsche's, hell no. But for the guys that can afford both,,,, WOW- we are extremely lucky!

Walt

Last edited by WaltB; 06-21-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

I got mine at a meagre $1.5k below msrp in northern California. There are no dealer incentives for the coupe yet.

My dealer was quite constructive because they were willing to give me the $1.5k plus whatever dealer rebates were available at the time of delivery (Jaguar announces these every 2 months). Unfortunately when mine was delivered there weren't any rebates for the coupe. You may want to try something similar.

The SF dealer offered me $3500 off MSRP after he knew I had already made a deal with another dealer at $2k off...he was trying to steal the deal...show's you there's room to deal on these cars.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
The SF dealer offered me $3500 off MSRP after he knew I had already made a deal with another dealer at $2k off...he was trying to steal the deal...show's you there's room to deal on these cars.
Was that for the coupe? Thanks

Old 06-23-2014, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by mm767cap
Was that for the coupe? Thanks...

Yes, sorry for not mentioning that.
Local dealer would not come off of MSRP,both Bay Area dealers were willing to work with me,no one had a mark-up on the Coupe...which was surprising to me.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
Yes, sorry for not mentioning that.
Local dealer would not come off of MSRP,both Bay Area dealers were willing to work with me,no one had a mark-up on the Coupe...which was surprising to me.
Great! Thanks for the info!!! I'll have to do some price shopping!

Old 06-25-2014, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

I managed £500 - ~1% - off the OTR price of a base model coupe, plus a third off the fitted cost of the Jaguar Trackstar.

Oh, plus a full tank and a set of carpet mats thrown in.

More a series of 'nibbles' than any real negotiation, as it was no where near the end of the month.

There is something to be said for hurrying salesman.