F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moonroof shade stuck

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 09:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Moonroof shade stuck

Today when beginning my drive home, I went to open the moonroof slider and ... it didn't open. It was like it was locked or something. "Oh well" and off down the road. Then 15 minutes later it slid open with no unusual resistance!

Anybody else had this happen? Any ideas on cause? A forum search didn't lead me anywhere on this odd problem.

Possibly pertinent info:
--car was sitting in hot sun all day
--but that has never been a problem before even in similar circumstances
--car is relatively new: 9K miles.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:57 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I had this happen about a month ago. Eventually pulled it open. Spoke to the service advisor who told me this happened to someone else recently. He ordered the part. Of course when I took it in, couldn't reproduce, so he's holding the part for me for a bit in case it resurfaces. I also have the occasional times where it feels like it's sticking. Again, of course, couldn't reproduce on that day at the dealership, so...

Old 09-05-2017, 11:59 PM

Isn't that just typical, dwoodard!
In your case, do you think heat warping a part was involved (hot sun)?

Old 09-06-2017, 12:29 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

When it stuck, happened at night - and the car had been in a parking garage all day. I don't open the cover often, so I don't have a lot of info to try and offer much in terms of what factors might be causing. The indication I got from the service advisor was that it was an issue with (with the one they had fixed) with something jamming in the mechanism.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my 2016 used last May and it would stick from time to time. Thought it was the summer heat. Now it's in the 30's 40's and it won't budge. Going to the dealer ranks up their with the going to the dentist but the dentist is 50 miles away.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:28 PM

Update: A few service checks ago the dealer checked it out and lubricated it. That worked for a while, although after several months it has started sticking a bit again. Not as bad as at first, though. Next time I'm in there, I will ask them if they can just show me what needs to be lubed so I can do it myself.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fair enough. Spoke to the service director a couple hours ago at Greenville SC Jag. Stated he hadn't heard of this but would check with his service techs and get back with me. Not holding my breath. Told him I'd prefer not driving the distance. Ask him if he gets on this forum and he stated yeah but hasn't seen this issue brought up before.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:15 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the same issue with my 2018 F-type 2.0L coupé after it had been sitting in the summer sun all day. Next day in my garage the blocking was auto fixed.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I asked about this some time back in a thread where it was only semi-relevant and got no response. Mine sticks in one spot (front of right-side track) and the problem has gone into hibernation for the winter (such as we have here). It came around in the hot weather last summer but went away sometime around November.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:28 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

The same thing happens on '16 S, but seems to only happen after attaining a certain speed. As soon as I get to a stop or slow it opens. I have been assuming it was designed like that.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:35 AM
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I had my leather headliner replaced, now the shade sticks from time to time. I would say its not a lubrication thing.

Old 04-03-2023, 05:22 PM

Ahh, the beauty of this forum. Damn shade just up and refused to open today, like a lock had been engaged. And it’s wintertime. This car is new to me, had me wondering if some sort of lick had been engaged.

at least I now know I’m not crazy. Will have to persuade the thing open and do a little diagnostic work.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:10 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had some sticking that was definitely due to heat. The headliner coming unglued during high heat and interfering with the sunshade. Currently experiencing it in the 16R, previously experienced in the 400 Sport.
Dealer's fix is replace everything for 2K and multiple month wait for parts. Went this route with the 400 under warranty. Will take the R to an indy after track season.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:30 PM
Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts
Old 04-03-2023, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

I've had this issue for a few years and I cant be bothered having the liner taken out and the roller replaced. What I do is to leave the shade open about 1cm. Then when I want to open it, I push it shut first which frees it up, and it works perfectly. Essentially I leave it open pretty much all winter and (almost) shut all summer, so it is a very minor inconvenience.

The following users liked this post:
Sonoman (04-05-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 08:14 AM
Received 190 Likes on 111 Posts

I had this issue once, when I opened the shade. I never close it, no issue!

scm (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 08:45 AM
Received 362 Likes on 172 Posts

I realize this is an old thread revived, but lots of other threads on this as well. In my experience, this is all to do with the soft plastic/rubber sticking on the side rails. At first I thought it was the front that was sticking. I placed a strip of felt thinking this would resolve it. At first it did, but the problem came back. So I finally found the right combination. Using this product: Rubber Care | LIQUI MOLY (liqui-moly.com) I squeeze this onto a small cotton swab and little by little spread this inside the side rails for the sunscreen. Let it sit for about 15 minutes and took a microfiber to clean up any residue.

A few light jiggles to get the screen visor loose to retract it and then once this stuff was applied, I did a few back and forth pulls to open and close it. I wash the car about once a month give or take and apply this again on most times. I have not had the issue return since I regularly ensure the tracks are protected.

stirlingsilver (04-10-2023)