F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards

The most annoying brake noise - help

 
  #1  
Old 01-07-2019, 07:02 PM
Jaggyx's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,417
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Default The most annoying brake noise - help

Folks,

This noise is driving me insane. Anyone know what it could be?

It only happens when the brakes are cold and happens 100% of the time when cold. It did this before new pads and rotors and is still doing it after everything was replaced. Could it be something with the e-brake?

Thanks!
 
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Brake Noise - Trimmed.mov (1.65 MB, 71 views)
  #2  
Old 01-07-2019, 07:25 PM
OzXFR's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 3,950
Received 1,108 Likes on 922 Posts
Default

We need to know what new pads and what new rotors.
With the OEM pads and rotors all three of my Jags (2010 XFS, 2010 XFR and 2014 F-Type) made a similar "graunch" noise just as I came to a stop which was still there when the brakes were hot but much worse when the brakes were cold.
In my case it was nothing to do with the EPB, and many other Jag owners with OEM pads and rotors have reported this .
Replacing the pads with ceramics (or in the case of the F-Type Porterfield R4S "carbon kevlar" pads) made a huge difference, on the XFS the Powerstop Evolution Z16 pads completely eliminated the graunch and on the F-Type the Porterfields have reduced it a lot but not quite completely eliminated it.
Also, when the brakes are cold, I sometimes get a small jerk and accompanying graunch in the F-Type when the EPB first releases.
 
  #3  
Old 01-07-2019, 07:26 PM
Jaggyx's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,417
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OzXFR View Post
We need to know what new pads and what new rotors.
With the OEM pads and rotors all three of my Jags (2010 XFS, 2010 XFR and 2014 F-Type) made a similar "graunch" noise just as I came to a stop which was still there when the brakes were hot but much worse when the brakes were cold.
In my case it was nothing to do with the EPB, and many other Jag owners with OEM pads and rotors have reported this .
Replacing the pads with ceramics (or in the case of the F-Type Porterfield R4S "carbon kevlar" pads) made a huge difference, on the XFS the Powerstop Evolution Z16 pads completely eliminated the graunch and on the F-Type the Porterfields have reduced it a lot but not quite completely eliminated it.
Also, when the brakes are cold, I sometimes get a small jerk and accompanying graunch in the F-Type when the EPB first releases.
Centric rotors and Porterfield R4S so unfortunately, I'm ruling that out.
 
  #4  
Old 01-07-2019, 07:48 PM
OzXFR's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 3,950
Received 1,108 Likes on 922 Posts
Default

All I can think of is the new pads and rotors may not have been bedded in fully/properly and you now have glazed pads.
 
  #5  
Old 01-07-2019, 08:02 PM
Unhingd's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Maryland, US
Posts: 13,629
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,398 Posts
Default

Try relieving pressure on the pedal just before the car comes to a full stop. Also make certain that the caliper and caliper bracket bolts are properly torqued.
 
  #6  
Old 01-07-2019, 08:09 PM
OzXFR's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 3,950
Received 1,108 Likes on 922 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Unhingd View Post
Try relieving pressure on the pedal just before the car comes to a full stop. Also make certain that the caliper and caliper bracket bolts are properly torqued.
Good point about those bolts Lance, very easy to under-torque them if using a weedy 3/8" socket wrench, you really need a 1/2" wrench on those bolts.
 
  #7  
Old 01-07-2019, 08:24 PM
Jaggyx's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,417
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OzXFR View Post
We need to know what new pads and what new rotors.
With the OEM pads and rotors all three of my Jags (2010 XFS, 2010 XFR and 2014 F-Type) made a similar "graunch" noise just as I came to a stop which was still there when the brakes were hot but much worse when the brakes were cold.
In my case it was nothing to do with the EPB, and many other Jag owners with OEM pads and rotors have reported this .
Replacing the pads with ceramics (or in the case of the F-Type Porterfield R4S "carbon kevlar" pads) made a huge difference, on the XFS the Powerstop Evolution Z16 pads completely eliminated the graunch and on the F-Type the Porterfields have reduced it a lot but not quite completely eliminated it.
Also, when the brakes are cold, I sometimes get a small jerk and accompanying graunch in the F-Type when the EPB first releases.
Originally Posted by OzXFR View Post
All I can think of is the new pads and rotors may not have been bedded in fully/properly and you now have glazed pads.
I can see this being a possibility, but then again, the noise was still present with my old pads and rotors so it doesn't necessarily make sense.

Originally Posted by Unhingd View Post
Try relieving pressure on the pedal just before the car comes to a full stop. Also make certain that the caliper and caliper bracket bolts are properly torqued.
Tried that, still very much there, just not as loud.

I'll recheck torque specs but everything is torqued with my CDI torque wrenches.
 
  #8  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:46 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: People's Republik of MD
Posts: 579
Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts
Default

If you can't find the root cause, there is a spray on product that likely will help. I've used with great success on my '31 Chevy that sounded like a dump truck when stopping. It's now silent as a mouse.

https://www.kimballmidwest.com/All-P...ricants/801096

I know that drums and discs are different, but the product claims to silence disc noise as well.
 
  #9  
Old 01-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Jaggyx's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,417
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dogbreath! View Post
If you can't find the root cause, there is a spray on product that likely will help. I've used with great success on my '31 Chevy that sounded like a dump truck when stopping. It's now silent as a mouse.

https://www.kimballmidwest.com/All-P...ricants/801096

I know that drums and discs are different, but the product claims to silence disc noise as well.
Interesting. I'll look into this.

Here's a thought: When I wash my car, my entire rotor rusts after drying. Does this mean that I do not have pad transfer on the rotors? I'm wondering if pad transfer would prevent rusting on the faces of the rotors.
 
  #10  
Old 01-08-2019, 06:20 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: People's Republik of MD
Posts: 579
Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts
Default

Rust on the rotors after washing is completely normal.
 
  #11  
Old 01-09-2019, 01:00 PM
CRS 123's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 481
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

I no expert on this...but to me, that doesn't sound like pad against rotor noise, but rather, kinda sounds like something else in the front end that that is flexing when the brakes make their final stop/grab. Weird question: what happens when you do the same test, only in reverse (going backwards)?
CRS
 
  #12  
Old 01-09-2019, 01:23 PM
Jaggyx's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,417
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CRS 123 View Post
I no expert on this...but to me, that doesn't sound like pad against rotor noise, but rather, kinda sounds like something else in the front end that that is flexing when the brakes make their final stop/grab. Weird question: what happens when you do the same test, only in reverse (going backwards)?
CRS
Same exact thing when I reverse, unfortunately. I'll check the torque specs of all bolts, but it's unlikely all of them somehow loosened up and I can't seem to pinpoint the noise to either front or rear or left or right.
 
  #13  
Old 01-09-2019, 01:57 PM
FType17's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 798
Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CRS 123 View Post
I no expert on this...but to me, that doesn't sound like pad against rotor noise, but rather, kinda sounds like something else in the front end that that is flexing when the brakes make their final stop/grab. Weird question: what happens when you do the same test, only in reverse (going backwards)?
CRS
You are indeed correct. It's not brake related and he can probably hear it with hard turns at low speeds as well. Goes away when the engine compartment gets hot and the materials expand.
 
  #14  
Old 01-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Jaggyx's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,417
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FType17 View Post
You are indeed correct. It's not brake related and he can probably hear it with hard turns at low speeds as well. Goes away when the engine compartment gets hot and the materials expand.
Unfortunately, nope. Absolutely no noise in those above situations. Here's another clue: When I did the brakes, the noise dissipated for a few days and returned shortly after. That being said, I'll recheck all of my suspension bolts since I did install Eibach lowering springs...
 
  #15  
Old 01-09-2019, 10:47 PM
FType17's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 798
Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Jaggyx View Post
Unfortunately, nope. Absolutely no noise in those above situations. Here's another clue: When I did the brakes, the noise dissipated for a few days and returned shortly after. That being said, I'll recheck all of my suspension bolts since I did install Eibach lowering springs...
Did you jack up each wheel with a floor jack (one at the time)? There has been a bracket that gets loose and does exactly the same noise under braking and a when turning (cold car only). It seems that jacking up the car, on some cars, starts that.
 
  #16  
Old 01-09-2019, 10:49 PM
Jaggyx's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,417
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FType17 View Post
Did you jack up each wheel with a floor jack (one at the time)? There has been a bracket that gets loose and does exactly the same noise under braking and a when turning (cold car only). It seems that jacking up the car, on some cars, starts that.
Yeah, I've done that many times. Do you know where said bracket is?
 
  #17  
Old 01-09-2019, 10:55 PM
OzXFR's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 3,950
Received 1,108 Likes on 922 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FType17 View Post
Did you jack up each wheel with a floor jack (one at the time)? There has been a bracket that gets loose and does exactly the same noise under braking and a when turning (cold car only). It seems that jacking up the car, on some cars, starts that.
I usually jack up one end at a time when working on the brakes but a few times now I have done it one wheel at a time, and I have never had this problem or anything even close to it. I have done the brakes many times on my F-Type (and even more times on much the same brakes on my XFS and XFR) and I have no idea what this "bracket" you refer to might be. As a certain politician in Oz is famous for saying, "please explain"!
 
  #18  
Old 01-10-2019, 05:38 PM
FType17's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 798
Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by OzXFR View Post
I usually jack up one end at a time when working on the brakes but a few times now I have done it one wheel at a time, and I have never had this problem or anything even close to it. I have done the brakes many times on my F-Type (and even more times on much the same brakes on my XFS and XFR) and I have no idea what this "bracket" you refer to might be. As a certain politician in Oz is famous for saying, "please explain"!

DELETED
 

Last edited by FType17; 01-11-2019 at 05:38 AM.
  #19  
Old 01-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Jaggyx's Avatar
Veteran Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,417
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FType17 View Post
And we have 4 cases in the North America owners group... I said SOME cars. It's the one that bolts on the aluminum dome for the front suspensions.
On the top as in you can see it when you open the hood or below?
 
  #20  
Old 01-10-2019, 06:02 PM
OzXFR's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Posts: 3,950
Received 1,108 Likes on 922 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FType17 View Post
And we have 4 cases in the North America owners group... I said SOME cars. It's the one that bolts on the aluminum dome for the front suspensions.
Sorry but I still have no idea what you are talking about!
What "aluminum dome"?
Do you have any pics or a schematic?
I often use this site to help identify parts: https://parts.jaguarreno.com/v-2015-...s--3-0l-v6-gas
Maybe you can find this "dome" (and bracket) on that site?
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The most annoying brake noise - help


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: