Sponsored by:

The most annoying brake noise - help

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts
Default The most annoying brake noise - help

Folks,

This noise is driving me insane. Anyone know what it could be?

It only happens when the brakes are cold and happens 100% of the time when cold. It did this before new pads and rotors and is still doing it after everything was replaced. Could it be something with the e-brake?

Thanks!

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Brake Noise - Trimmed.mov (1.65 MB, 89 views)
Old 01-07-2019, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

We need to know what new pads and what new rotors.
With the OEM pads and rotors all three of my Jags (2010 XFS, 2010 XFR and 2014 F-Type) made a similar "graunch" noise just as I came to a stop which was still there when the brakes were hot but much worse when the brakes were cold.
In my case it was nothing to do with the EPB, and many other Jag owners with OEM pads and rotors have reported this .
Replacing the pads with ceramics (or in the case of the F-Type Porterfield R4S "carbon kevlar" pads) made a huge difference, on the XFS the Powerstop Evolution Z16 pads completely eliminated the graunch and on the F-Type the Porterfields have reduced it a lot but not quite completely eliminated it.
Also, when the brakes are cold, I sometimes get a small jerk and accompanying graunch in the F-Type when the EPB first releases.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
With the OEM pads and rotors all three of my Jags (2010 XFS, 2010 XFR and 2014 F-Type) made a similar "graunch" noise just as I came to a stop which was still there when the brakes were hot but much worse when the brakes were cold.
In my case it was nothing to do with the EPB, and many other Jag owners with OEM pads and rotors have reported this .
Replacing the pads with ceramics (or in the case of the F-Type Porterfield R4S "carbon kevlar" pads) made a huge difference, on the XFS the Powerstop Evolution Z16 pads completely eliminated the graunch and on the F-Type the Porterfields have reduced it a lot but not quite completely eliminated it.
Also, when the brakes are cold, I sometimes get a small jerk and accompanying graunch in the F-Type when the EPB first releases.
Centric rotors and Porterfield R4S so unfortunately, I'm ruling that out.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

All I can think of is the new pads and rotors may not have been bedded in fully/properly and you now have glazed pads.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Try relieving pressure on the pedal just before the car comes to a full stop. Also make certain that the caliper and caliper bracket bolts are properly torqued.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Try relieving pressure on the pedal just before the car comes to a full stop. Also make certain that the caliper and caliper bracket bolts are properly torqued.
Good point about those bolts Lance, very easy to under-torque them if using a weedy 3/8" socket wrench, you really need a 1/2" wrench on those bolts.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

All I can think of is the new pads and rotors may not have been bedded in fully/properly and you now have glazed pads.
I can see this being a possibility, but then again, the noise was still present with my old pads and rotors so it doesn't necessarily make sense.

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Tried that, still very much there, just not as loud.

I'll recheck torque specs but everything is torqued with my CDI torque wrenches.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:46 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

If you can't find the root cause, there is a spray on product that likely will help. I've used with great success on my '31 Chevy that sounded like a dump truck when stopping. It's now silent as a mouse.

https://www.kimballmidwest.com/All-P...ricants/801096

I know that drums and discs are different, but the product claims to silence disc noise as well.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
If you can't find the root cause, there is a spray on product that likely will help. I've used with great success on my '31 Chevy that sounded like a dump truck when stopping. It's now silent as a mouse.

https://www.kimballmidwest.com/All-P...ricants/801096

I know that drums and discs are different, but the product claims to silence disc noise as well.
Interesting. I'll look into this.

Here's a thought: When I wash my car, my entire rotor rusts after drying. Does this mean that I do not have pad transfer on the rotors? I'm wondering if pad transfer would prevent rusting on the faces of the rotors.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:20 PM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Rust on the rotors after washing is completely normal.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:00 PM
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

I no expert on this...but to me, that doesn't sound like pad against rotor noise, but rather, kinda sounds like something else in the front end that that is flexing when the brakes make their final stop/grab. Weird question: what happens when you do the same test, only in reverse (going backwards)?
CRS

Old 01-09-2019, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CRS 123
I no expert on this...but to me, that doesn't sound like pad against rotor noise, but rather, kinda sounds like something else in the front end that that is flexing when the brakes make their final stop/grab. Weird question: what happens when you do the same test, only in reverse (going backwards)?
CRS
Same exact thing when I reverse, unfortunately. I'll check the torque specs of all bolts, but it's unlikely all of them somehow loosened up and I can't seem to pinpoint the noise to either front or rear or left or right.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:57 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by CRS 123
CRS
You are indeed correct. It's not brake related and he can probably hear it with hard turns at low speeds as well. Goes away when the engine compartment gets hot and the materials expand.

Old 01-09-2019, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FType17
You are indeed correct. It's not brake related and he can probably hear it with hard turns at low speeds as well. Goes away when the engine compartment gets hot and the materials expand.
Unfortunately, nope. Absolutely no noise in those above situations. Here's another clue: When I did the brakes, the noise dissipated for a few days and returned shortly after. That being said, I'll recheck all of my suspension bolts since I did install Eibach lowering springs...

Old 01-09-2019, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
Unfortunately, nope. Absolutely no noise in those above situations. Here's another clue: When I did the brakes, the noise dissipated for a few days and returned shortly after. That being said, I'll recheck all of my suspension bolts since I did install Eibach lowering springs...
Did you jack up each wheel with a floor jack (one at the time)? There has been a bracket that gets loose and does exactly the same noise under braking and a when turning (cold car only). It seems that jacking up the car, on some cars, starts that.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

Did you jack up each wheel with a floor jack (one at the time)? There has been a bracket that gets loose and does exactly the same noise under braking and a when turning (cold car only). It seems that jacking up the car, on some cars, starts that.
Yeah, I've done that many times. Do you know where said bracket is?

Old 01-09-2019, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

I usually jack up one end at a time when working on the brakes but a few times now I have done it one wheel at a time, and I have never had this problem or anything even close to it. I have done the brakes many times on my F-Type (and even more times on much the same brakes on my XFS and XFR) and I have no idea what this "bracket" you refer to might be. As a certain politician in Oz is famous for saying, "please explain"!

Old 01-10-2019, 05:38 PM

I usually jack up one end at a time when working on the brakes but a few times now I have done it one wheel at a time, and I have never had this problem or anything even close to it. I have done the brakes many times on my F-Type (and even more times on much the same brakes on my XFS and XFR) and I have no idea what this "bracket" you refer to might be. As a certain politician in Oz is famous for saying, "please explain"!

DELETED

Last edited by FType17; 01-11-2019 at 05:38 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

And we have 4 cases in the North America owners group... I said SOME cars. It's the one that bolts on the aluminum dome for the front suspensions.
On the top as in you can see it when you open the hood or below?

Old 01-10-2019, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

And we have 4 cases in the North America owners group... I said SOME cars. It's the one that bolts on the aluminum dome for the front suspensions.
Sorry but I still have no idea what you are talking about!
What "aluminum dome"?
Do you have any pics or a schematic?
I often use this site to help identify parts: https://parts.jaguarreno.com/v-2015-...s--3-0l-v6-gas
Maybe you can find this "dome" (and bracket) on that site?

Quick Reply: The most annoying brake noise - help