F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The most annoying brake noise - help

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 09:32 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

DELETED

Last edited by FType17; 01-11-2019 at 05:37 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by FType17

Eh?
Those pics and torque specs are of/for the braces in the engine bay that connect to the strut tower "domes" (so at least I think I have figured out what you meant by "aluminum dome"), but for the life of me I can't see how one or two of those bolts could become loose and/or one or two of the braces move a bit just by jacking a front corner up, and even if that happened how could that cause the OP's brake noise?
I'm not being argumentative I'm just genuinely curious about this, in case I ever have the same brake noise!

Old 01-11-2019, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Eh?
Those pics and torque specs are of/for the braces in the engine bay that connect to the strut tower "domes" (so at least I think I have figured out what you meant by "aluminum dome"), but for the life of me I can't see how one or two of those bolts could become loose and/or one or two of the braces move a bit just by jacking a front corner up, and even if that happened how could that cause the OP's brake noise?
I'm not being argumentative I'm just genuinely curious about this, in case I ever have the same brake noise!
Never mind. Obviously subjecting the front end to the added flex of jacking the car up has done it on at least 4 cars in our group and if you notice, they are tightened at relatively low torque. I will delete my replies to avoid any further disagreement.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 504 Likes on 375 Posts

Thanks goodness for the QUOTE function here.

Whether a clunk could come from those upper body braces or not, it would be a Good Practice to check the torque/tightness of them periodically (yearly?). As metal expands & contracts with variations in temperatures, I could see where they might slip if torque becomes marginal.

(On my other exotic, checking body-to-frame anchor hardware has eliminated MANY intermittent noises for owners.)

Last edited by Carbuff2; 01-11-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2

Whether a clunk could come from those upper body braces or not, it would be a Good Practice to check the torque/tightness of them periodically (yearly?). As metal expands & contracts with variations in temperatures, I could see where they might slip if torque becomes marginal.

(On my other exotic, checking body-to-frame anchor hardware has eliminated MANY intermittent noises for owners.)
I would be beyond thrilled if those bolts end up being the cause of this noise. That being said, I'm somewhat doubtful due to another clue. When I wash my car and some rust accumulates on the rotors, the noise is even worse. Common sense says there would be a scratching noise when rust is on the rotor, but my point is that this noise is magnified by that as opposed to there now being two noises - one from the under hood bolts and another from the rotors.

I'll definitively give this a shot though, and report back. Thanks to all who have pondered this issue with me.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

About a year ago I checked all six of those bolts and they were all RFT, I couldn't budge them at all.
Out of curiosity I tested them again just now and no change, still RFT.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2

Buff:
on our Facebook group, use the search feature for "clunk" and you will find their video and 4 pele with that issue. All gone after taking care of this. I will tag you on the thread

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 08:22 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

May be related. Anyone here have access to the content of Jaguar Service bulletin ssm74090. Description is relating to squeal from rear brakes with 19” wheels.

Kev

Old 01-12-2019, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wife's F-type and my 911 and previous boxter s all do the same thing. Tacoma does not. I just ignore it. They all still stop.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:34 AM
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

I have heard of techs using microphones placed strategically to help diagnose "what and where" in certain situations. Perhaps using some duct tape to place your phone in a couple different spots under the car and record a voice memo...only more like recording a "jag memo" :-) Never hurts to have a better descriptive of the sound and to maybe better determine it's origin location.
CRS

Old 01-12-2019, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

I know it's for sure coming from the brakes. If I idle and lightly press the brakes, the noise constantly occurs. I'm starting to think it's pad vibration or something of that sorts. It's so embarrassing to be honest.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:33 PM
Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
I know it's for sure coming from the brakes. If I idle and lightly press the brakes, the noise constantly occurs. I'm starting to think it's pad vibration or something of that sorts. It's so embarrassing to be honest.
You'll solve it. In the meantime it sure can drive one nuts trying to figure it out!