F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving Countries. What do I do re Sat Nav

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 12:46 AM
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I wonder if it will work - yesterday at the Jaguar dealership I checked regarding the Navi Data.

My Jag came as built for Asia (2016) with supposed Asia2 navi data included. It has the Gen 2.1 Sat Nav System with USB slot (no SD slot). Curiously in the touchscreen is says insert SD for navi but there is no SD slot in the cabin. The only slot is the USB and the AUX. In the system the car responds and gives it that this car comes only with USB. Asking the dealer to check if EU navi data can be uploaded to this car the response was YES, the order of the EU navi data with usb is compatible with this VIN nr. I double informed the dealer that this is an Asia market built car in case the uploading of the EU navi sat data is not allowed, but the dealer said no such issue (?!?). After ensuring me that in case does not work the dealer is responsible for the EU navi data USB cost, I accepted that they order it for me. Let's see now if really works.
I am wondering though why the existing navi interface in my car mentions Insert SD (I can understand that being away from Asia it detects that I am am out of that area so that is why I have in fact no navigation maps starting at all) but I can find no SD slot in this car. Instead is the USB slot there. (????)

The EU navi data usb price was 240 Euro at the order. I doubt that it will work but if I have not to pay (if the test fails) and no issues to the car then why not try.

Last edited by JagAlb; 05-19-2017 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by JagAlb
I wonder if it will work - yesterday at the Jaguar dealership I checked regarding the Navi Data.

My Jag came as built for Asia (2016) with supposed Asia2 navi data included. It has the Gen 2.1 Sat Nav System with USB slot (no SD slot). Curiously in the touchscreen is says insert SD for navi but there is no SD slot in the cabin. The only slot is the USB and the AUX. In the system the car responds and gives it that this car comes only with USB. Asking the dealer to check if EU navi data can be uploaded to this car the response was YES, the order of the EU navi data with usb is compatible with this VIN nr. I double informed the dealer that this is an Asia market built car in case the uploading of the EU navi sat data is not allowed, but the dealer said no such issue (?!?). After ensuring me that in case does not work the dealer is responsible for the EU navi data USB cost, I accepted that they order it for me. Let's see now if really works.
I am wondering though why the existing navi interface in my car mentions Insert SD (I can understand that being away from Asia it detects that I am am out of that area so that is why I have in fact no navigation maps starting at all) but I can find no SD slot in this car. Instead is the USB slot there. (????)

The EU navi data usb price was 240 Euro at the order. I doubt that it will work but if I have not to pay (if the test fails) and no issues to the car then why not try.
I am surprised they would use a usb device rather than the DVD player to upload the data.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:57 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by JagAlb

Well good thing the dealer is paying if it doesn't work, because it's not going to work.

The Asia nav module is in the boot, under the false floor, that's where you put the SD card in, at the module itself.

Cars with the Asia nav module are programmed to only look for maps from that separate module. That's why it's saying "insert SD card" if you put a USB map stick in, it won't recognise it as maps.

Happy to be proven wrong, but this is what i've been told by people who know more than me.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:15 AM

I see, apparently they did not find the module and assumed wrong. I will check at the car myself to see if the module is there. Of course you know more and makes sense what you say.

I will recheck again with them to not let them spend money in vain anyway.

I would go for the EU navi data only if this is easy, not having to damage anything or anyone :-)

Old 05-19-2017, 08:47 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I am surprised they would use a usb device rather than the DVD player to upload the data.
I've done one map update - they send you a USB flash drive, with the data encoded to your VIN.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:07 PM

Cambo was right, I opened the trunk and after some digging there it is the Asia navi module with the SD slot. At the dealer they insisted that this was a USB input only system. They have even ordered the EU Maps with my vin nr. (?????) although I sent them the photos showing the module with SD slot...

However I find it weird from Jaguar this mess with the maps and different input features. One could even travel with his car and change continents for work or travel reasons and would be better to have the possibility to buy and install different maps, or switch them.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:22 PM

The issue is the maps for different countries/regions come from different providers, in different formats. Some providers don't format their map files in the right way to be used by the internal hard drive in the head unit, which is why the external module is used.

You can order a USB stick with maps for any vehicle, even one without any navigation fitted, the VIN is used to generate an activation code, that's all. Does not mean that the maps will work on that car.

There are two options for your car;

Reprogram the Car Configuration File (CCF) so that the maps source is the internal GPS built into the head unit, or find an SD card for your region which is compatible.

The dealer theoretically can make the CCF changes, if they get permission from JLR HQ. But they need to request this.

My friend who was testing out the Asia nav module in his car has not found a compatible Europe map on SD card yet, still looking...

Old 05-19-2017, 05:42 PM

I love my F Type R unconditionally - especially for the great deal I got for this particular new car.

Is hard to understand though why an Evoque (saw one new today in the saloon at the dealer) has a SD slot with EU + Russia Navi data by SD and there is no EU data for a F Type. SD or USB or other devices are just storage units. Jaguar adds a module, wires, work, and someone that may be unhappy instead of ordering some maps to be provided in a same platform/storage unit? So anyone could use different maps when needed - and purchase more easily providing more profit for Jaguar. Just wondering why all this science when this could be an easy logic

Last edited by JagAlb; 05-19-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:52 PM

A brand new Evoque will have the Next Generation Infotainment (NGI) which is a different system to what's in your F-Type. The cars with NGI use SD-cards for the maps, but they are a different map structure, not compatible with the Asia module in the F-Type.

Different suppliers and providers of the maps and the GPS hardware. If you can imagine with portable navigation units, you can't load TomTom maps into a Garmin, it's a similar thing...

The following users liked this post:
JagAlb (05-19-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 09:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Cambo,

Just found your interesting responses on this thread as I've just run in to the same problem; We've imported our F-Type from South Africa and it is with a local dealer to upgrade the sat nav to European maps, something they said they could do.

We've just been told that the car has the Asian sat nav module in the boot and is therefore not compatible with the USB stick with European maps they've been trying to upload. It seems beyond belief that there isn't a straightforward resolution to this from Jaguar, did you colleague come across an SD card version of European maps that worked on the Asian Sat Nav module?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Best regards
Namche

Old 11-07-2017, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Namche
Hi Cambo,

Just found your interesting responses on this thread as I've just run in to the same problem; We've imported our F-Type from South Africa and it is with a local dealer to upgrade the sat nav to European maps, something they said they could do.

We've just been told that the car has the Asian sat nav module in the boot and is therefore not compatible with the USB stick with European maps they've been trying to upload. It seems beyond belief that there isn't a straightforward resolution to this from Jaguar, did you colleague come across an SD card version of European maps that worked on the Asian Sat Nav module?

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Best regards
Namche
Myself I resigned the efforts. Luckily I live in a Country, mainly short drives and very short distances, where maps indeed are not needed, neither updated. So I can live without it.
On the other hand I have plenty of friends complaining of their car navi systems as they get fast outdated and everyone uses a smartphone in aid when rarely needed, a trip abroad or else. So smartphones help a lot and if your car does not have the possibility to upgrade to EU maps, is not the end of the world. Perhaps this is why Jaguar Factory guys did not release any solution for us yet :-)

Old 11-08-2017, 03:54 AM

Thanks JagAlb,

Jaguar (UK) have now washed their hands of this! They can't even answer this question - who supplied the current (South Africa) map for this vehicle when it left the factory?

I find it extraordinary they can't inform us of any company supplying maps for the F-Type that are compliant with this 'Asian' version navigator module. Their only reference is a company called HERE based in the Netherlands who do supply European maps (and interestingly South Africa maps) but only support the USB stick update for the non-Asian nav module variant.

I would like to know who does the maps for the Asian nav module variant in the hope that they may be able to supply European maps. Or, is there any other company doing after market map applications for the F-Type....

Old 02-22-2019, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo
I've sent you a PM.
Hi Cambo

I'm having a similar problem, as I have a US Spec XF and it came with American Maps only.
I'm in Poland working so can't deal with Jag UK.

I have a genuine UK and Europe Map set on SD card in full packaging, new and unopened.
But when I insert the card it states 'Maps not activated'

Can you help with this at all?
Please PM me.

Thanks

Old 02-22-2019, 05:43 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Cambo, I salute you. How you keep this dog's breakfast straight surpasses understanding. Reading this thread and others like it, I come away with the feeling that running a world wide business exceeds the managerial and engineering resources of JLR. When I got my F-Type I was disappointed with the lack of features I had become accustomed to, now I am beginning to be pleased that I don't have a group of semi-functional features to worry about.

Now in the USA, JLR is having a sale thru February on the current map revision. Is there an easy way to see what the age of the data in my car is? (Its a CPO). I would like to avoid a trip to the dealer, just to find out. Thanks. And Best Regards to the Jaguar Club of Albania.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Rice
Hi Cambo

I'm having a similar problem, as I have a US Spec XF and it came with American Maps only.

I have a genuine UK and Europe Map set on SD card in full packaging, new and unopened.

Please PM me.

Thanks
Just realised I have my old account still open, so sent a PM on that as well

Old 03-01-2019, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Suaro
Is there an easy way to see what the age of the data in my car is? (Its a CPO). I would like to avoid a trip to the dealer, just to find out. Thanks.
2014 F-Type is the IAM2.1 system, you can check the map version with this method

Note that the year of the map data is one year behind the marketing department. For example 30.16.03 is 2016 data, was sold as a 2017 map.

Originally Posted by Dan Rice
Hi Cambo

Please PM me.

Thanks
I'm guessing you have an X260 XF with the InControl Touch?

There are different maps for InControl Touch, and for InControl Touch Pro. The SD cards you buy are for InControl Touch Pro. For the InControl Touch you need to download the updates from the online portal.

Have a look here https://jaguar.navigation.com/cms/pa...JaguarEMEA/GBP

And here https://jaguar.welcome.naviextras.com/

As I understand it InControl Touch needs the activation on the SD Card, to license that map copy to the car, hence the need to take the SD Card out of the car, put it in your PC, and use the InControl Touch Map Updater program.

You should try this Updater process first.

Also

There is also a setting in the Car Configuration File which defines the Market/Region of the navigation system...

GROUP_CCF_EUCD_NAVIGATION_SYSTEM - Navigation System
(options of)
Undefined
Not Fitted
Navigation system for Europe
Navigation system for Japan
Navigation system for USA and Canada
Navigation system for Australia
Navigation system for Turkey
Navigation system for Middle East
Navigation system for China
Navigation system for Russia
Navigation system for South America
Navigation system for Taiwan
Navigation system for Korea
Navigation system for South East Asia
Navigation system for India
Navigation system for Russia

I don't know how much influence this setting has on the map activation for InControl Touch, on the earlier cars with DVD-based maps it makes no difference which country it's set to, the maps on the DVD are what you get regardless of setting...

There have been so many different navigation systems in JLR vehicles in the last 10-15 years, what applies to one does not necessarily apply to another... hard to keep up...

DJS (03-02-2019)
Old 05-13-2020, 06:14 AM

Dear Moderator,
I have just stumbled upon your site and wonder if you can either help or cast some light upon how to get JLR to update my map system.
I have an F Type Coupe which was registered in the UK on 26.11.2016.
The Car has an In Touch screen with an SD slot /card
The software is 9.12.38.615228.
Database JLRNLIFC6EU;HMEU25.3.9550
SWID CK-85LZ-PLC3-89KP-JY7Q
Map Date 28.4.10727
Card No FK72 10E898
VIN SAJAC61B9H8K44744
I am told by JLR:-
1 There are/have been no updates since Q4 2018 and that no more will be available for the moment.
2 That even if I fitted the latest In Control Touch Pro Unit that the Car will need a new loom - is that correct?
I wonder if with your extensive knowledge if there is a way to get a more modern map?

All JLR seem to do is "wash there hands of the problem" and deny any responsibility for the system

Old 05-15-2021, 11:24 PM
Default Regarding changing the map Singapore to Newzealand

Hi,
is there any way to change the map to Newzealand for my Jaguar xjl 2011 imported from Singapore

Old 05-15-2021, 11:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Alex at Beecham Jaguar in Auckland did it for mine

https://beacham.co.nz

And they are far better than the Jaguar dealership in NZ.

TEBIN VARGHESE TOMSON (05-15-2021)
Old 05-15-2021, 11:54 PM
Default Regarding map changing from Singapore to Newzealand

Thank you for your reply,How much it will cost??