F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Mod - Bob's Oil Separator

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

The above is a pic of the elbow under the TB when I removed my SC a while ago. This was about 100k miles.
The SC coolers were in bad shape.
The carbon deposit is soft and is relatively easily removed however this was the reason I installed an oil catch can as well as a water/meth system.

Additionally the water/meth system helps in cooling the intake charge under "vigorous" driving.

This is a 4.2 SC engine with port injection so will be different for a DI engine which could suffer from inlet valve hard carbon build up after a while since no fuel wash cleaning of the inlet valves.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:11 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jackra_1

Just checked my baffled catch can and a tad more than 10 drops as you can see. I estimate about 2,500-3,000 miles worth of mixed driving with little oil consumption.
Dont forget this is a 4.2 SC engine NOT a NA engine and not a DI engine.

SC engines seem to have more of an issue than NA engines.

Its not "pure" oil as you can see. Never the less all of that was prevented from clogging up the SC coolers etc.

Oh I started to pour out the catch can contents on that lid then realized quickly..............
Don't know what is going on with the oil here, but I would be worried. It should look like it just came out of the crankcase and if this is what is in your sump . . .

Checked my Bob's after 100 miles and just drops. Not even enough to measure so I will update at 500 miles. Hopefully I will get some more spirited driving in by the next check.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Sump oil is fine. Also the underside of the oil filler cap is fine. Water contamination in the oil will often show up on the bottom of the oil filler cap as a whitish "mess".

I used a fine plastic extraction tube to go all the way down in the oil dipstick pipe to touch bottom and oil extracted is good.

I will do an oil change soon as I do need to do that.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:37 AM

Good to hear. Wonder what is happening in your catch can then?

Old 05-08-2019, 05:18 AM
Received 193 Likes on 169 Posts

I have a catch can on my ‘99 XJR which is driven fairly hard at times and it is yet to produce any visible deposits, the engine is coming up to 95,000miles, its been on about 8 months and the car has been tracked and done Targa tours in that time.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

I have to wonder about correct installation of a catch can and whether it has baffles if it does not catch any oil at all.

You only have to look inside the connection pipe to the PVC on any 4.2 SC engine and you will see a coating of oil.
That has been reported many times in this forum.

As to what is happening inside my correctly installed and baffled CC I am wondering if the water/meth system is increasing the water content.

Which is why I will drive a while with it switched off. That will be a while as I am detailing the car and also swapping out the front upper control arms.

So waiting on delivery of "stuff" and a good day in the garage for respraying my hood.

Last edited by jackra_1; 05-08-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by jackra_1
I have to wonder about correct installation of a catch can and whether it has baffles if it does not catch any oil at all.

You only have to look inside the connection pipe to the PVC on any 4.2 SC engine and you will see a coating of oil.
That has been reported many times in this forum.

As to what is happening inside my correctly installed and baffled CC I am wondering if the water/meth system is increasing the water content.

Which is why I will drive a while with it switched off. That will be a while as I am detailing the car and also swapping out the front upper control arms.

So waiting on delivery of "stuff" and a good day in the garage for respraying my hood.

I installed a catch can a few years ago and it seems to work as intended. Actually a jaguar mechanic did the install and there is a thread "Oil Can" which has diagrams etc... Should have been called Oil Catch Can though. The car is due for an oil change so I will post a picture of whatever amount of oil that has been picked up.

Just got my F Pace SVR and plan to install one on it as well.

Lots of opinions around concerning the benefits etc... I did it mostly out of curiosity in the beginning, but now am glad I did as the amount of oil vapor that passes over the valves is reduced... The Jaguar system already reduces the vapor over the valves (see photo and comments on the original thread) but the oil catch can picks up more.

Lawrence

Old 05-08-2019, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mulmur
I installed a catch can a few years ago and it seems to work as intended. Actually a jaguar mechanic did the install and there is a thread "Oil Can" which has diagrams etc... Should have been called Oil Catch Can though. The car is due for an oil change so I will post a picture of whatever amount of oil that has been picked up.

Just got my F Pace SVR and plan to install one on it as well.

Lots of opinions around concerning the benefits etc... I did it mostly out of curiosity in the beginning, but now am glad I did as the amount of oil vapor that passes over the valves is reduced... The Jaguar system already reduces the vapor over the valves (see photo and comments on the original thread) but the oil catch can picks up more.

Lawrence
On the 5.0 engine I think JLR did some good work to reduce the impact of oil vapor on the inlet valves because of all the, in some cases major, issues that DI technology introduced particularly for Audi and VW.

What is interesting is that there is an oil separator system on the part load breather as well as the full load breather on my 5.0 engine.

In my workshop manual they, both sides, look like an "extended" oil catch can baffles as well.

On my 4.2 engine it has often been stated that the part load breather should not show any appreciable oil and indeed when I had a CC on that side it did not show any oil capture at all.

Having said that I would still install an oil catch can as you plan to do. I do not have one on my 2013 Range Rover but plan to install one.

There are many CCs on sale that are virtually useless as they do not have a long enough entry down pipe inside the can nor do they have effective baffling.

Last edited by jackra_1; 05-08-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, regarding the fact that JLR did good work on oil vapor separation. The mechanic that did mine has had years of experience with these engines and is involved in training mechanics so he does keep up to date with the various features and quirks of the 5.0..

He told me at the time that the part load breather was the place to go and that I would see some collection with the newly installed catch can as the JLR system won't catch it all.

My next oil change which is now due, is at about 10,000. KM so it will be interesting to see what shows up.

Different issue, but my F pace SVR arrived without the engine cover ( I removed mine off the F Type right after it arrived ) as they apparently are doing now with all the F Pace SVR's ... saves me taking it off; regarding heat load.

Lawrence

Old 05-08-2019, 02:14 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

my F pace SVR arrived
First impressions on F pace SVR? How much heavier does it feel than the f type? Got the urge to get one too.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Chawumba
First impressions on F pace SVR? How much heavier does it feel than the f type? Got the urge to get one too.
Still not 'broken in'... however.

First impression is that the interior is very good and at par with the price point. stereo seems good, however I have not really played much music as I am enjoying the sound of the car, even more than the F type R; at least while its in dynamic mode.

Handling is the best of any SUV I've tried and it corners extremely flat... seems better even than my F Type, at least in this regarding, cornering, without any uncertainty.

I've pushed the throttle quite hard maybe on two occasions and it really feels fast, but not up the the F Type.

OH, and it does feel a bit heavy as it is a decent sized SUV, so not unexpected.. JLR have done a nice job on the suspension/engine combo.

At this point, the throttle feels a bit soft or hesitant on start off, yet in dynamic it does improve quite a bit. Of course I'm comparing to the F type R with the velocity tune which increase throttle response from stock.

Overall, a great buy and I really like it. I was disappointed in the colour choices as the red looked like a tomato (not Italian racing red) and so forth. Since I've had a couple of Italian Racing red Jaguars, I switched to the silver this time and its actually very nice... paint job looks really good.

Hopefully you can test drive one.

Lawrence

The following users liked this post:
Chawumba (05-08-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 04:56 AM

I have been pleasantly suprised by the low volume of oil that has been pulled by my Bob's. With such a low viscosity oil, I expected a lot more. I also really like the idea that Jaguar had already addressed this and built a separation system into the motor.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by EJag66
I have been pleasantly suprised by the low volume of oil that has been pulled by my Bob's. With such a low viscosity oil, I expected a lot more. I also really like the idea that Jaguar had already addressed this and built a separation system into the motor.
That is good news and very encouraging for the 5.0 DI engine.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,230 Likes on 1,762 Posts

The Meth injection is also an excellent way to de-grease the intake track.
Most engines I have seen are spotless as the alcohol continually scrubs off the oil crap.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
The Meth injection is also an excellent way to de-grease the intake track.
Most engines I have seen are spotless as the alcohol continually scrubs off the oil crap.
Thats why I installed such a system on my 2005 XJR however I think I had it "dialed up" way to high. I can choose at what inlet pressure it is activated and had it set at the lowest pressure setting which meant that it was constantly activated with increasing volumes as the pressure increased.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting information about Meth injection keeping the valves clean on D.I. engines.

Should add to earlier information regarding Oil Catch Can, in that the products that have filter/baffles inside are the ones that catch most of the oil vapor. I believe I used a Mishimoto product on the recommendation of the master mechanic that installed mine.

Lawrence

Old 05-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member

Interesting information about Meth injection keeping the valves clean on D.I. engines.

Should add to earlier information regarding Oil Catch Can, in that the products that have filter/baffles inside are the ones that catch most of the oil vapor. I believe I used a Mishimoto product on the recommendation of the master mechanic that installed mine.

Lawrence
Also make sure the inlet pipe to the CC goes almost to the bottom of the can to ensure that incoming vapor HAS to travel up thru the baffles.

The Mishimoto CC is one of the more expensive ones so if price is anything to go by its one of the best.

Old 08-24-2019, 05:35 AM

3K mile update. Here is the ammount of oil pulled by the separator.

Yes, that is a Miller High Life bottle. Don't judge me.
Next update at 5K.

The following users liked this post:
jackra_1 (08-24-2019)
Old 08-24-2019, 07:37 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

"Yes, that is a Miller High Life bottle. Don't judge me."
Aw, the good old days, Schaefer in bottles 99 cents a six pack. Miller was too high brow and expensive for my crowd back then.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member

Just had my oil changed a few weeks ago and the Oil catch can (Mitsubishi) had well less than a quarter cup, consistent with last time... still, happy to not have this oil creating sludge/carbon etc.. The master mechanic that did my installation said the Jaguar had a fairly good oil recovery system to begin with.

Old thread on 'Oil catch can' and perhaps one was called simply 'Oil can'... it showed proper installation on 5 litre F type.

My F pace svr does not seem to have any room at all to install one, or certainly not as straightforward as the Ftype so not sure I will bother with it.

Lawrence

Quick Reply: My First Mod - Bob's Oil Separator