F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Name Something You Discovered About Your F-Type AFTER You Bought it...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 12:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two things:
1) According to Progressive insuring an F-Type V8S is maybe seventy-five cents a day more expensive to insure with max coverage than a Saturn Sky Redline which stickered for less than 1/3 the price (and I still have the Sky's window sticker.)

2) That my F-Type still has an active Sirius subscription of some sort. Gonna need to see about transferring things over now that I've bought the car and will be selling off my old XM equipped daily driver.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by OpenF
Two things:
1) According to Progressive insuring an F-Type V8S is maybe seventy-five cents a day more expensive to insure with max coverage than a Saturn Sky Redline which stickered for less than 1/3 the price (and I still have the Sky's window sticker.)
Similar phenomenon with Geico. I pay only 25 cents per day more for the V6S than a 2002 MINI Cooper.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Surprising that the insurance cost differential is so low.. maybe its because Jaguar drivers are more mature and careful drivers even when going like 'hell'.

Actually most of the members on this forum seem like gentlemen (or women) and mature in their posts, so maybe the insurance companies are on to something.
Lawrence

Old 07-21-2017, 06:53 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Mostly the low mileage on our cars. I'm almost at two years and I just hit 6000 miles.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:05 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Surprising that the insurance cost differential is so low.. maybe its because Jaguar drivers are more mature and careful drivers even when going like 'hell'.

Actually most of the members on this forum seem like gentlemen (or women) and mature in their posts, so maybe the insurance companies are on to something.
Lawrence
Two reasons for this:
First, of your total auto insurance premium, nearly 85% is your Liability and Bodily Injury coverage, the remaining 15% is your Comp and Collision coverage. So no matter the vehicle, the greatest risk and exposure to the insurance carrier is liability and bodily injury, for which payouts can easily run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Collision repairs for the F-Type may indeed be more expensive, but the overall cost of collision repairs is a drop in the bucket compared to bodily injury claims.

Second: At least here in California, and I suspect elsewhere in the US, the insurance market rating bureaus have not yet adapted their rating schedules for the increased costs to repair Aluminum Body vehicles. Tesla's fall into a similar bracket. The insurance adjusters are still applying generally accepted market area labor rates for the repair of sheet metal cars to the far more complicated and technical repairs of aluminum F-Types and Teslas, so body shops spend a lot of time and energy supplementing the original repair estimate to recover the higher repair costs.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

That my F-Type still has an active Sirius subscription of some sort. Gonna need to see about transferring things over now that I've bought the car and will be selling off my old XM equipped daily driver.
Good luck with that. A friend of mine bought a used 911 Turbo (from a dealer) that had an active XM subscription. A year or so later, he figured he should get around to switching the car over to his account...except...the good folks at Sirius wouldn't give him the time of day, since he didn't "own" the current account. Someday, when the previous owner wakes up and cancels the account, he'll be able to "claim" the radio.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by uncheel
Good luck with that. A friend of mine bought a used 911 Turbo (from a dealer) that had an active XM subscription. A year or so later, he figured he should get around to switching the car over to his account...except...the good folks at Sirius wouldn't give him the time of day, since he didn't "own" the current account. Someday, when the previous owner wakes up and cancels the account, he'll be able to "claim" the radio.
I'll try to do the right thing, but if that's true, then free radio for me. Speaking of, is there some way to set the radio such that I can scroll through all 18 of the channel presets in a row without taking my hands off the steering wheel?

Old 07-21-2017, 10:31 PM
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
I'll try to do the right thing, but if that's true, then free radio for me. Speaking of, is there some way to set the radio such that I can scroll through all 18 of the channel presets in a row without taking my hands off the steering wheel?
I had the same thing happen to me for a couple of months but eventually I was getting hounded by emails and mailings to the home to change over. I have Sirius capability in my truck too but was dead set on not paying for my music since I am not much of an audiophile anymore and my factory sourced JBL system sucks anyway.

But then I found a station on Sirius that played non-stop music that I really enjoy (my 70s-early 90s rock) that sounded amazing in the Jag. But I still would not renew. Finally, Sirius called me directly on my cell phone and I was like "what the what?"; how did they get my cell phone?

The guy was real nice and said that once the Jag sold, the [Porsche] dealership turned in the change of ownership with all my contact info which is how they got my address, email, and phone number. Scary. So after telling the guy that I absolutely won't pay for the service and just shut it down, he said they were running a special for $5/month for 6 months and then I can cancel with no penalty.

I bit. Of course, they don't tell the low price doesn't include state and federal excise taxes, access fees, harassment fees (to cover their time to harass you until you buy), and all the other fees they add.

Last edited by Desert Dawg; 07-21-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckingham
Mostly the low mileage on our cars. I'm almost at two years and I just hit 6000 miles.
I'm almost at 2 years and I just hit 30,000 miles.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I just noticed that in sport mode the S changes to to S2, S3, etc. in the dash display in addition to the big number indicating the gear when manually shifting.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:42 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

It actually has a CD player!

Old 07-25-2017, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by 17jag
It actually has a CD player!
And you can use that CD player to upload 10 CDs of music to the hard drive.
But it only works for music CDs, it will also play video DVDs (but only if the car isn't moving) but not music files burned to a DVD, and it won't upload anything from a DVD.
Well at least that's how it works on my MY2015, your MY2017 may be different.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:05 PM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
But it only works for music CDs, it will also play video DVDs (but only if the car isn't moving) but not music files burned to a DVD, and it won't upload anything from a DVD.
It will play mp3's burned to a CD, at least mine does.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
It will play mp3's burned to a CD, at least mine does.
Yep, mine too, but then I thought "I wonder if I can upload a CD full of mp3s to the hard drive?" so I gave it a burl and no go.
But not much point playing mp3s off a CD, much easier to play them off a USB stick.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I just read the Jag magazine Design issue, and the infotainment guy was interviewed. One comment that caught my eye was that "passengers can watch TV". I don't care about TV, and I get the danger of having a movie playing "at speed" (If you are dumb enough to watch it).... but for a long drive, my wifey should be able to watch a film. It's not like I am stupid enough to watch it.

I wish we could hack this.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

You can see the gas tank fill percentage when you start the car and turn off or on the ECO button.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:05 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Speaking of, is there some way to set the radio such that I can scroll through all 18 of the channel presets in a row without taking my hands off the steering wheel?
The left/right buttons on the left side of the steering wheel go through the presets, whether on radio or XM. Up/down are for volume.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:43 PM

That the GPS was still programmed with the home address of the prior owner as well as all the Bluetooth cell phone pairings. I was playing with some of the touchscreen features and hit the home button in navigation... which then loaded up an address over 900 miles away.

Now I'm having second thoughts over how I purposefully deleted all of it from the car's computer without copying any of that info.

Originally Posted by DJS
The left/right buttons on the left side of the steering wheel go through the presets, whether on radio or XM. Up/down are for volume.
I was already aware of that. The question is whether I can change any of the settings so that the steering wheel control will cycle through all six presets of XM 1, then all six presets of XM 2, and then all six presets of XM 3, before cycling back to XM 1 while doing nothing more than hitting either the left or right scroll button repeatedly.

Last edited by OpenF; 08-01-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:18 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
That only does it for the band that you are currently on. He is asking if you can scroll through all three bands. I don't think so, but if you can, I would love to find out!

Old 08-03-2017, 05:30 AM
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Quick Reply: Name Something You Discovered About Your F-Type AFTER You Bought it...