F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New F-Type owner...is just mine slow?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 09:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New F-Type owner...is just mine slow?

hello everyone I'm new here and this is my first post, I've been lurking for a couple weeks.

I purchased a 2017 f-type base convertable as my new daily driver. I got a killer deal I couldn't pass up and literally just picked it up never test drove one. In m reading I saw that a pulley and tune were supposed to give quite an extra horsepower kick. I purchased a pulley and tune kit from eurocharged in Houston. I installed the pulley and tune before the motor was even close to broken in so I never really went passed 3k. Curiosity got the best of me and I finally floored it to find instant depression. The car revs very slow IMO and doesn't seem to be accelerating quickly.

Having never driven one I'm wondering is the base v6 a dog and have all the reviews been wrong? For the guys that drive these cars specifically the base v6. Have you gotten any tire spin? I drove in the rain and gave it the juice and nothing no wheel spin. I even had traction off and had it in sport shifting or whatever it's called.

The tuner is going to send me another tune and hopefully wake wake up the car because to me it feels like there is no boost. I'm wondering if you can even tuner out the boost like maybe the diverted valve is just open. I could verify that with a simple gauge.

i may however just be speed blind my fun car is 720 horsepower to the rear wheels and weighs 500 pounds less which feels fast to me. My old daily driver was. 2016 Genesis sedan that felt faster than this..... even my heavy duty work van feels faster but I understand these are just feelings and my expectations of burnouts and drifting my daily could just have been a pipe dream. Just looking for opinions on whether anybody thinks I just got a junk tune and it will come around?

Old 07-31-2017, 10:19 PM
UC3
Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I have no experience with the V6, but my V8S is a beast. Might I suggest going and test driving another stock V6 to perform a seat of the pants test to see if your "tune" is the culprit?

Secondly, I doubt to many guys on here are going to respond because this is your first post and it reads like a textbook troll...no to offence directed to you, but we have seen all kinds here...

1. hey guys, new here but been lurking for a while
2. never test drove an XXX before but I got a sweet deal on the base model so I just bought it having never driven one but expect the 340hp to perform like the 550hp top end model
3. Did all these mods before I even had it out of my driveway
4. my fun car is XXXX hp (but doesn't give make and model of said dream car) but my [insert Japanese car here and work van] seemed faster
5. Anybody give me advice on what to do?

Hope you figure out what your issue is whether it be car, tune, or boredom with a desire to troll. I test drove an R about a year before I bought mine and I knew before the test drive was over I had to have one. As soon as I sold my Corvette GS I bought my V8S...and absolutely love it.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Hi. I have a V6 S but I've driven the base, and I've also driven the XE with the base supercharged 6 in it.

First, there is a huge difference between the V6 S and the base, though most of it is felt at higher speeds, especially over 100kph.

Second, I've found that my car feels quicker now at 11,000km (so about 6000m) than it did when I got it. And it is far more prone to wheelspin both in a straight line and on bends, though I dont know whether tyre wear has anything to do with that.

Third, I find that the gearing in the f type is set for a lot of engine braking which can make you feel as though you have to push it.

Fourth, there can be a touch of lag. I thought it was transmission but some of the manual drivers have said it happens in theirs as well.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:22 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

the base never felt slow to me, but then again its all relative...the base was a huge upgrade for me. You can't erase the feeling of already daily driving a naturally faster car. you're essentially ruined

Old 08-01-2017, 04:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Did Eurocharged sell you an upper supercharger pulley or a lower crank pulley?

Old 08-01-2017, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Hi. I have a V6 S but I've driven the base, and I've also driven the XE with the base supercharged 6 in it.

First, there is a huge difference between the V6 S and the base, though most of it is felt at higher speeds, especially over 100kph.

Second, I've found that my car feels quicker now at 11,000km (so about 6000m) than it did when I got it. And it is far more prone to wheelspin both in a straight line and on bends, though I dont know whether tyre wear has anything to do with that.

Third, I find that the gearing in the f type is set for a lot of engine braking which can make you feel as though you have to push it.

Fourth, there can be a touch of lag. I thought it was transmission but some of the manual drivers have said it happens in theirs as well.

i cant get wheelspIn not even in the rain. I'm pretty confident the bypass valve is open. It can't be getting boost at all. Not sure if the tune could make that happen.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Did Eurocharged sell you an upper supercharger pulley or a lower crank pulley?
just the upper 1.5 and a tune used loaded by the mygenius programmer. I believe it's the exact way ecu tuner does it.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by UC3
I have no experience with the V6, but my V8S is a beast. Might I suggest going and test driving another stock V6 to perform a seat of the pants test to see if your "tune" is the culprit?

Secondly, I doubt to many guys on here are going to respond because this is your first post and it reads like a textbook troll...no to offence directed to you, but we have seen all kinds here...

1. hey guys, new here but been lurking for a while
2. never test drove an XXX before but I got a sweet deal on the base model so I just bought it having never driven one but expect the 340hp to perform like the 550hp top end model
3. Did all these mods before I even had it out of my driveway
4. my fun car is XXXX hp (but doesn't give make and model of said dream car) but my [insert Japanese car here and work van] seemed faster
5. Anybody give me advice on what to do?

Hope you figure out what your issue is whether it be car, tune, or boredom with a desire to troll. I test drove an R about a year before I bought mine and I knew before the test drive was over I had to have one. As soon as I sold my Corvette GS I bought my V8S...and absolutely love it.
not looking to troll anyone by far. That's really what I did. When I get something I want it done. Picked the car up on Tuesday, dropped it off at the powder coater on Wednesday to get the wheels powder coated, got that back Friday installed the pulley and tune on Monday and drove it like a powder puff as long as I could. Too me it felt faster driving slow before the tune but I don't know. My main goal is just figuring out if the tune and screw that up. The my genius tuner is kind of clunky and I can't figure out how to erase the tune and put the stock one on because it mods the tune. My fun car is a 2008 z06 with a fully built motor and drive train that I thought I'd get crap for having on a jaguar forum. End goal is to swap that for an r8 v10 spyder because honestly I'm kind of done with it after I finished the build that took 2 and a half years. I just wanted a fun convertable to drive everyday. Seriously no trolling from me, I think I'll be happy if once I figure out why it's so slow. My actual car complaints aren't serious like the nav is garbage, very happy with the jaguar fit and finish. In comparison to my z06 and old 911 I'd definitely choose the jag to start with.

The following users liked this post:
UC3 (08-01-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Having a 720bhp Z06 will definitely skew your perspective of what fast is....

Old 08-01-2017, 08:58 AM

Something is wrong and i don't want to take it back to the dealer with this tune in it. This morning the check engine light came on and I haven't read the code yet.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:16 AM
UC3
Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlgti
very happy with the jaguar fit and finish. In comparison to my z06 and old 911 I'd definitely choose the jag to start with.
No crap from us on other cars, most of us have either had or still have other rides. I have owned most other sports cars and have loved my Vettes over the years from C4s, C5s, and multiple C6's but just could not find myself purchasing a C7. Almost by accident I drove a F-Type R on a test drive (was buying a craigslisted Apple Watch from the sales guy and he wanted to show-off the F-Type to me while I was there) and from that moment I knew I had to have one. I will probably get my wife a Vette when I can pry her out of her SC430, but the F-Type is unlike any vehicle I have owned previously. I am in love with it. I figure I will sell my V8S this fall and find an AWD R to replace her though...but it will definitely be an F-Type.

I hope you get yours figured out soon because there is no other car that compares for the money. There was another guy on here that put a tune in his V8 right after he bought it, and he blew the motor. Might want to read that thread...good luck and let us know how this turns out.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:16 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Doesn't sound right to me. My XE with the 340 bhp engine will easily spin the tires, wet or dry, even thru second gear if you do it right. So something is up with your tune or otherwise.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:26 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

I assume your car has dynamic mode, and you're using it? What you describe sounds like rain/snow mode - very little throttle response. On my 2014, I pull the mode switch down for dynamic, or push it up for rain/snow. And it's confirmed in the instrument display.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:55 AM
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a largely stock F-type S (other than wheels & short shifter) and find the car to be very lively.

My current biggest complaint is too little traction! On a warm & dry day, the car will readily go sideways if you get on it in a turn. (I'm on OEM Pirellis.)

With your mods, your car should have more power than mine.

Have you brought your concerns up with the tuner?

Last edited by jfranks; 08-01-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Something is wrong and i don't want to take it back to the dealer with this tune in it. This morning the check engine light came on and I haven't read the code yet.
It's not uncommon for the CEL to come on immediately after the tune gets applied but it generally goes out after five or so ignition cycles as it's some transient code.

Restoring the stock file is just a case of going back through the same steps taken to apply the tune only this time selecting the stock file stored in the MyGenius. What it gets labelled is down to the tuner but you should see two choices, one being the stock file the other the modified.

I have heard that sometimes it takes some miles for the adaption values to get reset in the ECU (there are some tools that allow you to do that) possibly going back to stock for a while driving then apply the tune again and see if anything improves. Failing that I would work with Eurocharged - my current F-Type tune is from VAP but I did have a XFR that I applied their tune to and I have to say they couldn't have been more helpful before during and after the sale.

I went with VAP this time around because they seemed to have more installs on F-TYpes at the time and they had a deal on when Eurocharged didn't ;-)

Oh and I have the "base" V6 340HP and I have no problems spinning the rear wheels if I'm not paying attention, even with MPSS tires replacing the Pirelli Zeros.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:53 PM

Found the issue and everything is explained except for how it happened. I never checked the work that was done on the blower pulley install because you'd have to be dumb to mess it up. Well I had a highly recommended shop install the pulley which is now almost off the snout and the belt is shredded. No boost I guess and that explains everything except how the pulley can weasel off. Should be fine once I address that now. I knew it was slow

Old 08-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

just the upper 1.5 and a tune used loaded by the mygenius programmer. I believe it's the exact way ecu tuner does it.
Swapping out the upper pulley on a V6 is next to useless for less than a 2.5% speed increase. It's only of value with the V8 that starts with a larger pulley. I wouldn't trust any tuner recommending an upper pulley swap on the V6.

I would suggest loading the OEM tune back on your car to see if it's your car or the tune that's bad.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you put the car into Dynamic mode and then the shifter into S?

Old 08-01-2017, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Odd. In fact, something is wrong.

Mine will light up its Pirellis in third while accelerating over surface changes.

The difference in performance between the base and the S has more do do with the lower gearing on the S than the engine as the peak Torque is pretty much identical. The S just holds on to it for another 500rpm to give the higher Horsepower figure (which the 400 goes one step further with and - might - be the limit from the factory).

Yours sounds like it's in some version of Limp Mode (this is not intended as a pun...)

Old 08-01-2017, 02:02 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

You did see the OP's post #16, right? It explains all.