New F-Type owner...is just mine slow?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 02:07 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ah, good to hear. OP wasn't trolling after all

Old 08-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jlgti
hello everyone I'm new here and this is my first post, I've been lurking for a couple weeks.

I purchased a 2017 f-type base convertable as my new daily driver. I got a killer deal I couldn't pass up and literally just picked it up never test drove one. In m reading I saw that a pulley and tune were supposed to give quite an extra horsepower kick. I purchased a pulley and tune kit from eurocharged in Houston. I installed the pulley and tune before the motor was even close to broken in so I never really went passed 3k. Curiosity got the best of me and I finally floored it to find instant depression. The car revs very slow IMO and doesn't seem to be accelerating quickly.

Having never driven one I'm wondering is the base v6 a dog and have all the reviews been wrong? For the guys that drive these cars specifically the base v6. Have you gotten any tire spin? I drove in the rain and gave it the juice and nothing no wheel spin. I even had traction off and had it in sport shifting or whatever it's called.

The tuner is going to send me another tune and hopefully wake wake up the car because to me it feels like there is no boost. I'm wondering if you can even tuner out the boost like maybe the diverted valve is just open. I could verify that with a simple gauge.

i may however just be speed blind my fun car is 720 horsepower to the rear wheels and weighs 500 pounds less which feels fast to me. My old daily driver was. 2016 Genesis sedan that felt faster than this..... even my heavy duty work van feels faster but I understand these are just feelings and my expectations of burnouts and drifting my daily could just have been a pipe dream. Just looking for opinions on whether anybody thinks I just got a junk tune and it will come around?
The base 340HP car is fast compared to how cars used to be, but when measured against many sports cars made in the last 5-15 years it's not THAT fast. Getting to 60 in a hair over 5 seconds is not the marker of speed it used to be. It's in line with a '99 Camaro SS or a current issue V6 Camaro. Then again, a the new 2018 Mustang GT with all the performance trimmings is as fast as a V8S to 60 and the current issue Corvette (especially i Z51 or Grand Sport trims) is as fast as a F-Type R.

Most reviews focused more on the S trim V6's because those extra 40 horses, gearing differences, and handling related parts pull the car into a somewhat different performance segment.

Excluding the tune, what you have is an incredibly stylish and fairly comfortable cruiser. If the interface being used to flash the ECU is successful and you have engine the nets horsepower somewhere in the mid 400's it should definitely feel (and be) faster than your van and Genesis, but it won't feel anything like an extra-light 720HP vehicle.

Last edited by OpenF; 08-01-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:09 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OpenF
The base 340HP car is fast compared to how cars used to be, but when measured against many sports cars made in the last 5-15 years it's not THAT fast. Getting to 60 in a hair over 5 seconds is not the marker of speed it used to be. It's in line with a '99 Camaro SS or a current issue V6 Camaro. Then again, a the new 2018 Mustang GT with all the performance trimmings is as fast as a V8S to 60 and the current issue Corvette (especially i Z51 or Grand Sport trims) is as fast as a F-Type R.

Most reviews focused more on the S trim V6's because those extra 40 horses, gearing differences, and handling related parts pull the car into a somewhat different performance segment.

Excluding the tune, what you have is an incredibly stylish and fairly comfortable cruiser. If the interface being used to flash the ECU is successful and you have engine the nets horsepower somewhere in the mid 400's it should definitely feel (and be) faster than your van and Genesis, but it won't feel anything like an extra-light 720HP vehicle.
Yep, the luxury interior adds a ton of weight. I think after a tune and maybe a pulley the car really becomes a proper sports car.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:24 PM
UC3
Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Found the issue and everything is explained except for how it happened. I never checked the work that was done on the blower pulley install because you'd have to be dumb to mess it up. Well I had a highly recommended shop install the pulley which is now almost off the snout and the belt is shredded. No boost I guess and that explains everything except how the pulley can weasel off. Should be fine once I address that now. I knew it was slow
Glad you figured out the issue. Let us know what you think of her once you get it fixed...

Old 08-01-2017, 04:57 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,149 Likes on 1,439 Posts

My memory is that others have reported that the blower pulley is a bitch to get off, involving a torch, etc. That, combined with marginal gains (on the V6), is why it typically isn't worth changing.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to start it all over again tomorrow and hopefully it goes better. I'm assuming the pulley didn't cool properly causing it to slide off the input shaft then throwing the belt. I bet I will be far happier with the cars performance once I have boost. I'm really kicking myself for not looking at someone's work. I try to take care of everything on a new car quickly so I don't have issues like this further down the line.... whelp got me this time. I'll definitely update this in a couple days and hopefully be telling everyone now I have bald rear tires.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Yeah I don't think too many people are running a great tune on a NA 3.0 V6 - very small market ;-)

Old 08-03-2017, 07:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a great thread. Thanks for posting and welcome Jigti!

No digs on priors here - my last was a C250, before my (beloved) "was he slow" G20!

Last edited by MF 007; 08-03-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

I'm surprised it even fires up if the supercharger isn't turning - the rotors are designed to be a snug fit...

Yesterday - after nearly three years of ownership - I switched the traction control off and tried to do a rolling burnout.

Success...

Last edited by F-typical; 08-05-2017 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-05-2017, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Found the issue and everything is explained except for how it happened. I never checked the work that was done on the blower pulley install because you'd have to be dumb to mess it up. Well I had a highly recommended shop install the pulley which is now almost off the snout and the belt is shredded. No boost I guess and that explains everything except how the pulley can weasel off. Should be fine once I address that now. I knew it was slow
I am glad you found this issue before real damage occurred.

Generally, with RWD F-type you don't have to try hard to lose rear traction. So when I read about your 'even in the rain' comment I immediately knew something was wrong. You don't have to try hard to spin wheels with any F-type.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Wait to push it until you are out of break-in period. I don't remember where I read it, but ECU won't allow WOT for the first xK miles. I certainly picked up power past 10K kms.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Going to start it all over again tomorrow and hopefully it goes better. I'm assuming the pulley didn't cool properly causing it to slide off the input shaft then throwing the belt. I bet I will be far happier with the cars performance once I have boost. I'm really kicking myself for not looking at someone's work. I try to take care of everything on a new car quickly so I don't have issues like this further down the line.... whelp got me this time. I'll definitely update this in a couple days and hopefully be telling everyone now I have bald rear tires.
Whose pulley did you use? Are you suggesting that the car was driven before the pulley was allowed to cool down after it was placed on the shaft? I suspect the new pulley did not have a sufficient interference fit.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally have an update after relatively two weeks. I had to wait for a new pulley from eurocharged because they had run out and had to manufactur more and then there was an issue removing the factory pulley that was reinstalled. Eurocharged was excellent in all of this and shipped me a new pulley free of charge and stood behind their product. The performance shop I had do the installation did somewhat take ownership but I did have to pay for parts that would not have broken without this, they seem to blame a faulty pulley which I do not side with.

My base F-Type convertable seems to be very quick with the pulley and tune. I do not have a stock comparison to judge it by. It's not rolling the tires off like I expected but it's 95 degrees everyday in florida and the pavement is just hot and sticky. Throttle response and acceleration are excellent I'd highly recommend this pulley and tune for eurocharged. I'd say acceleration is on par with a base c7 corvette which is very good for a v6. If I were to guess it would be around a mid 12 second car in the 1/4 mile. Very happy with this as a daily driver.