F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to forum and F-Type - Aston DB 10 look alike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 01:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to forum and F-Type - Aston DB 10 look alike?

Greetings as I am new to this forum.

To cut through the chase, I have been looking for my next sports car andalmost pounced on a 2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage and glad I did not! Turns outthose cars are extremely difficult to find blue book value and I almost overpaid by nearly $10,000 for this car. You can see it here and should cost nowhere near their asking price: https://www.jaguarchantilly.com/inventory.cfm?NewUsed=0&MakeID=588

At any rate, thank God I came to me senses just at the 11th hour thanks tomy peeps on the AM forum.

So now that I'm over Aston Martin, I cannot get over how beautiful (andcheaper) this F-Type starts at and even better preowned. Really, I don't need all that power so the V6 Scould do me just fine. Being new here I just need to research a bit more as I've never owned a Jag previosuly.

One thing I couldn't help but notice is how uncanny the lines are betweenthe F-Type and James Bond's new Aston Martin DB 10 (in Spectre)! It's almost uncanny!I believe Ian Callem designed the F-Type if I'm not mistaken who has alsodesigned the DB9 and Vantage models and that's one reason why I'm drawn to the F-type. Do you agree?

Anyway, just saying hello and looking forward to getting into one of theseeither preowned or leased probabl next year. Any input is certainly welcome.

Thanks

Old 09-22-2015, 01:50 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Welcome aboard!

The F-Type and Aston Martin definitely share many visual cues. I also agree that AM lifted a lot from the F-Type for the DB 10. In fact, when I first saw the DB 10 in the Spectre trailer I was excited to see that they had put Bond in a custom F-Type with new wheels. It wasn't until I later saw the article on the DB 10 that I learned my mistake. Externally they look very close though.

Price to performance, I suspect you'll appreciate the F-Type more than the Aston. It may not have quite the same caliber of branding, but my opinion is that it wins on the looks and performance side as well as the cost.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Welcome, neighbor. I work in downtown DC. I think you'll be very happy with the base V6. I certainly am. It is an incredible bargain for the price, even new.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

A welcome here from another neighbor. I think you'll find access to Jag service a lot easier here in the DC area than to AM service (and less expensive too).

Old 09-23-2015, 02:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you both for your responses and I agree. Quesiton - What's your thoughts on leasing vs buying preowned F type? I'm concerned about the residual value so I don't think I want to buy new. Is leasing even worth it for these cars?

Old 09-23-2015, 05:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleestak
Thank you both for your responses and I agree. Quesiton - What's your thoughts on leasing vs buying pre-owned F type? I'm concerned about the residual value so I don't think I want to buy new. Is leasing even worth it for these cars?
I always keep my cars a looong time, so leasing is out of the question. Cost of borrowed money is usually less than leased money, but the leasing company assumes the downside risk of a misjudged residual value. A lot of considerations go into choosing lease versus loan.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:40 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Welcome aboard. Like you I almost bought an AM V8V. I had a deposit on a 2009 down in Dallas. It was an automatic and I flew down there to take it out. I didnt like the AM auto as it had too much lag so I too came to my senses and decided on a 2016 6 speed manual F-Type after flying home and taking a 2015 auto out. I see similar cues in both with the Jag boasting a more aggressive look to it. You won't be disappointed.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

I have mostly leased my cars for the last 12 years as I've always liked turning them in and getting something new and always in warranty. May have been a tad more expensive but I just always liked changing it up. But I've recently bought a 14 V8S with 6k miles on it that was a dealer rep car. Loaded and pristine for $73k with an original sticker of $109k. I just could not pass it up despite still leasing my other cars. The FType just feels special to me and I just can't imagine being bored with it.

Given the choice of purchasing one preowned vs leasing new I think the 14s and 15s when they get turned in a are going to be good buys. My two cents but I think this model is a classic in the making.