F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me F-type. Help with a couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me F-type. Help with a couple of questions

I always thought the f-type was gorgeous so I pulled the trigger when I finally saw a 6 speed for sale. To be honest though, I'm not sure if I like the car yet. It's practically a new car with 6k miles on the odo but the way it drives is not what I had expected at all. In any case, I had a few questions that I couldn't find answers to through the search function.

How can I check the oil level on the car? It seems to be electronic but when I check the vehicle information settings, it's grayed out. Is it an option for certain trim level?

I was expecting a lot from the meridian sound system but a lot of people, including myself, seems to be disappointed with he rattling or sound quality. Is there a specific setting or something I can do to make it sound better? I've been in taxis with better sound systems.

I have the base f-type without the adjustables but the previous owner had installed koni v3, are they okay? I feel like the ride quality is okay, but the car feels jittery on little bumps, almost as if it's going to swerve out of control.

Thank you in advance

Cheers

Old 05-17-2018, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Oil level should be checked warm, engine off, and after sitting ten minutes. If the engine is running I think the option will be disabled, but don't think I've ever tried it.

There are lots of posts on the sound system, and since I find it adequate, won't comment.

Koni v3? Could you mean KW, variant 3? The car is definitely lower than stock and coilovers are not generally acclaimed for their ride quality. People also tend to set them up with too much compression damping because in their minds, stiff means better handling. If you can back off on the compression damping you might find that it rides better and also gives better control during enthusiastic driving.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Yes oil levels can only be checked with engine off in aux mode. Don't touch the brake and push the start button.

The meridian system is poor and there are some extensive threads about what fixes are possible from JLR or what others have done.

As for ride, what make are the tires and what the condition of them? If Pirellis even at 6k miles they tend to stink. Get some MPS4S. Can't give advice on the coil overs.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:13 AM

Yes, sorry KW V3s. I've never had custom suspension before, but it feels jittery, to say the least. The car has MPS4S with less than 1000 miles, I'd say.

What is is the optimal setup for the coil overs? I know I shouldn't compare to my older 997 but suspension feels so strange.

Thanks

Old 05-18-2018, 04:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock, passive suspension here, so of only mild relevance. But still, similar experience.

Start of my ownership I felt a little unsettled by the ride. Very firm and anything that inolved some negative G seemed to unsettle her. As if her weight was causing her to crash back down after that sensation of lift.

Though I've grown to enjoy it now. On the bendy bits she doesn't care about lateral G, feels planted like a limpet.

I test drove a 380 with active suspension and on the straights things did seem somewhat more civilised. May just be observer bias though.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Welcome to the world of stick-shift F-types.

First, you need to know about this:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...action-158861/

Second, as all MT F-types are RWD, you need to upgrade tires. PZeros are unsuitable for MT, you need to invest into MPSS or MS4S. See this thread:

As to sound system, there are fixes that are possible. Search the forum.

The following users liked this post:
salsa (05-20-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
Welcome to the world of stick-shift F-types.

First, you need to know about this:

Second, as all MT F-types are RWD, you need to upgrade tires. PZeros are unsuitable for MT, you need to invest into MPSS or MS4S. See this thread:

As to sound system, there are fixes that are possible. Search the forum.
wow... I had no idea the 6 speeds had so many issues. The previous owner mentioned that the clutch was replaced as a result of some service bulletin, but I guess it's a big deal. The gear box definitely doesn't like to be rushed but I haven't had any issues with it slipping just yet. The clutch doesn't seem to bite hard from 1st to 2nd shift, though.

Thank you for the heads up!