Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NorCal F-Type event

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 528 Likes on 344 Posts
Default NorCal F-Type event

I'm inspired by the Blueberry Blast event on the East Coast. I'm sure we have quite a few F-Types in California and surrounding states. Many years ago, I helped organize a week long motorcycle ride from San Diego to Eureka and built lifelong friends from that even. I'm not proposing something that ambitious, but there are a lot of opportunities for a great event in NorCal that could be condensed into a long weekend.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head as to places that would be fun:

Lake Tahoe
Napa Valley
Avenue of the Giants
Yosemite
Crater Lake
Shasta
Highway 1 from S.F. to Leggett or many variations from Napa to 1 (Skaggs Springs Road, for example).

The Blueberry Blast sets the bar very high and to do something like this right, it would need to be in 2019. A possible fun event could be start in Yosemite and head to Lake Tahoe. Then, from Tahoe to Napa.

Another option could be start in Tahoe, go to Napa one day and then up the coast the next. In either scenario, work out group rates and special parking at hotels and have some destinations along the way. The trick would be to not try to cram too much in. Three days would allow for more options and often the best rates would include a Monday instead of a Friday on a long weekend.

What's the interest in something like this?

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (08-10-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 953 Likes on 714 Posts

As you point out, there is no shortage of fantastic routes and destinations in Northern California. I have a few favorites, most of which I have not done on four wheels. Assuming we get a rainy season, the ideal time would be between the two primary California seasons of "Washing Away" and "On Fire." The latter started early this year :-(

Old 08-09-2018, 12:08 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm in! Pick up my MY19.5 R Vert in 10 days, timing of this is perfect!

Old 08-09-2018, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Would be a ton of fun. Too bad my F-Type is in Austin, Tx!

Anyone doing anything for Monterey Car Week?

Old 08-09-2018, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Just one of the things that RickJay did for the Blueberry Blast was that all of the evening dinners were within walking distance of the hotel most of us stayed at. The no driving necessary allowed us to have a few drinks without worry and a short leisurely walk back to our rooms. So many other things, some small, some extremely over the top that made the trip special.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

Great point. We kept that in mind with the big bike ride as people were tired, didn't want to go far and didn't want to worry. I'm looking into multiple stops instead of one central launching point for all days, although both could work. It's just that some of the destinations go beyond what is reasonable for a day trip.

Regardless, I'll dig up some of my notes from my past trip and see what can apply. I'd like to keep a little off the beaten path and there are many phenomenal places that fit the bill. Weather shouldn't be a factor as it almost never rains between May and October, but October and November and sweet spots in Napa (rain unlikely and not the tourist season) and also n Tahoe (in between Summer and Winter seasons).

Old 08-09-2018, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Sounds like you're on with the planning. RickJay has a weather control machine, but sounds like you won't need it. Happy trails.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:33 PM
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I would definitely be interested in this as well.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

As we found out on the WBB, a bit of rain will not put a damper on the festivities. Depending on the dates of the event, I might be up for it as well. I'm fairly close (only 2600 miles). Time for another driveabout.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

We are frequently in the Bay area nearly every year for Thanksgiving week and often other times of the year as both of my sister-in-laws and their families live there. So if not limited to F-types but my XKR or my newly restored Pantera is acceptable I'd love to participate as well. Great roads up there especially in the Santa Cruz mountains. I wanted to bring the Pantera up to Monterey this year for Concorso Italiano, but unfortunately have family coming in the same weekend. Well maybe next year.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:03 PM
Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like a blast! I’m in!

Old 08-10-2018, 12:22 AM
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

I’m interested!

Old 08-10-2018, 01:01 AM
Veteran Member

I do have a huge soft spot for Panteras…I don't know much about XKRs, but my limited knowledge tells me your is very well sorted. I think it fits the spirit of what we're going for.

Unhingd, there is a sign not far from my house that says Ocean City, Maryland is on the other side of Route 50, so it should be a straight shot for you (nevermind the sign says 3073 miles).

OK, there is clearly interest. I've got some calls in with friend who are connected in the hotel/wine industry and see what makes sense. If anyone has any hookups, now is the time to come forward, too.

Last edited by eeeeek; 08-10-2018 at 01:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by eeeeek:
tberg (08-10-2018), Uncle Fishbits (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 02:49 AM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Hell yaz!! tberg, pleeease bring the Pantera!
And yes, perhaps earlier in the year, after the rain (that I hope we get!) and the fires...

The following 2 users liked this post by Misujerr:
Old 08-10-2018, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I'm getting the Pantera back next Friday, and I want to drive it for a while to earn the confidence that it can be driven on a long trip without hiccups. It's no fun getting stuck in it. It has a cavernous trunk compartment over the transaxle in the rear and a small trunk in the front, so it is capable of traveling well even with the Mrs. If I see that it's running without any issues (like overheating), I'll bring it, and everyone can get a shot at driving it. It's really a glorified go cart capable of tremendous speed with torque unlike anything I've ever driven in any gear. Not advisable for wet roads.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 953 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Just one of the things that RickJay did for the Blueberry Blast was that all of the evening dinners were within walking distance of the hotel most of us stayed at. The no driving necessary allowed us to have a few drinks without worry and a short leisurely walk back to our rooms. So many other things, some small, some extremely over the top that made the trip special.
The motorcycle trips I've been on (lots) have a strict rule of no vehicle operation after *any* alcohol. That leads to (typically) many beers when we arrive at the hotel, and (inevitably) walking distance to dinner. Nothing ruins a trip faster than an incident.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaggyx
Would be a ton of fun. Too bad my F-Type is in Austin, Tx!

Anyone doing anything for Monterey Car Week?
I was born in Carmel, and also worked in Monterey, Carmel, and Big Sur.

Concourse has such a huge role in my life. But as a hotel guy, I can't imagine spending $900 a night on a hotel room that is $175 any other given day. LOL

Big Sur doesn't feel too much compression, so Post Ranch Inn and Ventana are a great value (to me), with a superb drive each day. =)

That place is heaven, but in building out a potential car collection, I always feel there's other auctions where you could pick up 3 or 4 cars at the same price as one. And even if you are just a looky loo, I also know the tiers and levels of tickets and events is crazy. I am sure a few of you are Keith Martin Sports Car Market people? (If you aren't order that magazine IMMEDIATELY) They have a few events I was really excited to go to, but work got in the way of it. Man I would KILL to have the time! There's so many wonderful drives up into Carmel Valley, when the weather is bad, as well! But I am a no go this year.

I remember working at the Portola Plaza, and they had Ferraris in the lobby all week in 2003, and I could stare at them all day from the desk.. I just rabbit holed searching which they were:
1963 Ferrari 250 SWB California Spyder
1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 “Alloy” Berlinetta
1956 Ferrari 860 Monza (1 of 3)

It was jaw dropping. Monterey Car Week and Pebble Beach concours are life changing events, and I suggest anyone that hasn't visited to do so at least once in your life. (I am pretty confident Quail Lodge has the Ferrari event now.)

Because of how crazy it is, our event would probably be better a different time of year, and factually I know I could line up hotels and rates for us, depending on where we want to be. This would be so fun.

But if any of you end up there in 2019, it would whet my palate! =)

Old 08-10-2018, 04:50 PM
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

tberg, your XKR looks pretty sweet too! Yay Uncle, thanks for the potential hookup. And thanks eeeeek for getting the ball rolling on this.

The following 2 users liked this post by Misujerr:
Old 08-10-2018, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Lake Tahoe
Napa Valley
Avenue of the Giants
Yosemite
Crater Lake
Shasta
Highway 1 from S.F. to Leggett or many variations from Napa to 1 (Skaggs Springs Road, for example).
NB: I can line up hotels for overnights in Willamette Valley, Napa Valley, Marin, Presidio of SF (that links to our new Lodge, but there's an inn as well). I helped build and open the OR, Marin, and Presidio props! Also in Carmel, more than likely. Used to work with Post Ranch, and wife used to work with Carmel Valley Ranch and Ventana, so those may be options. She is at Meadowood now, in St. Helena, so there's that too.

My thoughts on other options, if it's just day drives?
Skaggs that becomes Annapolis from Geyserville to the coast north of Sea Ranch is so fun (you mentioned).
But all those are... the one that spits you out on the coast tween Point Arena and Manchester is nice... Mountain View Road.
In fact... that would be a stellar circle. Start in or around SF, up to Cloverdale, through the Yorkville highlands (highest CA elevation winery named "bob's dogs" is there, and it could be a fun tasting!),
to the coast from boonville, back down south on the 1. That Jenner drive is creepy tho. Here I made a sample map! =) https://goo.gl/maps/BnuQx2sw4hu

I am not sure if people want to overnight, or have a day with that much driving?

A simpler one would be one of my favorites..... Lucas Valley Road, up and over and through the GGNRA into Olema, stop for lunch, tour Pt Reyes, and then head back south towards Stinson.

However, it would be cool to link up all of CA, meet in the middle.... we could do a drive from SF to Carmel. Stay there, and then do HWY 1, and head down to Hearst castle? Or do it in reverse?

I would leave work right now to meet you in Yosemite, if it wasn't for Ferguson. Bah. I can't believe how many trips were cancelled due to that fire. It impacted us in SF and Napa for summer tourers who were meant to have SF or Napa as a 2nd leg.

Honestly, a huge Nor/Central loop that includes a few days, and Tahoe south to Yosemite's East entrance would be so fun. It would be cool to lock this into an annual thing, whoever makes it, makes it! =)

Mendocino would be awesome.... the Avenue would be so fun.

Obviously I got excited. Sorry for too many options. I guess finding the time is what's important.

Some blogs on other drives (just found the links, didn't explore them):
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...ern-california
https://www.visitcalifornia.com/attr...nia-road-trips
https://www.autoblog.com/2015/11/10/...rn-california/
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/nort...rives-nor-cal/

The following 3 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
eeeeek (08-13-2018), Misujerr (08-11-2018), tberg (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by KarimEls
I'm in! Pick up my MY19.5 R Vert in 10 days, timing of this is perfect!
There are *SO MANY* F-Types in Southern Marin. At least 5-10 I see weekly. At least. That's not south bay, nor the city.

Every 1st of the month, the cars and coffee is in Vintage Oaks off Rowland in Novato. We should just start planning to go for a drive after the event, every month, and whoever shows up can go! I've seen an SVR up there, but no other F-Types at the event. A *LOT* of F-Type owners here are woman, who might not be on the forum or as car kooky. But I have been de-facto doing this by myself for a long time. Wife sleeps in and does Soulcycle on Sundays, so it's no problem to go out and get by Noon. Any takers for a monthly "if it works out we'll do it" plan?

Quick Reply: NorCal F-Type event