F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM forged wheels/Anyone here actually like the P Zeros?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 09:07 PM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts
Default OEM forged wheels/Anyone here actually like the P Zeros?

Are these forged wheels considered heavy like the other 20" OEM options?
Is there anyone here that actually likes the P Zero stock tires?
The tires coming on my '17 R are practically brand new, about 1.5K miles on them. New tires, pads,, and front end alignment done in June. The thought of getting rid of them for Michelons or Continentals, as often recommended here, seems like a waste.
I guess I'll have to actually drive the car for awhile to make up my own mind, but always looking for other's experiences and advice.
This will be my first F type, so I'm going into ownership with no previous experience, but very much looking forward to it!

Old 01-29-2021, 09:36 PM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Drive them until it's time to replace - then get the PS4s - and then you'll understand.

Old 01-29-2021, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

You’ll likely discover them being downright atrocious at around 10,000 miles. Get rid of them around that time.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts

I thought that the handling was fine with P Zeros although the rears would break traction a lot, which I wasnt complaining about so much. But I went from P Zeros on 19 inch rims to PSS's on 21 with no deterioration to ride (better if anything) and a fantastic handling (and traction) improvement. Assuming that the handling improvement is because of the new forged rims and lower sidewalls, the ride comparative "improvement" and traction improvement has to be from the tyres.

My missus' XE had P Zeros, with only a few thousand km on it she copped an egg on one front tyre from a pothole. I swapped out both fronts for PSS's much to her chagrin (she hates me doing things to her car) but then was very impressed with the change, she is now a bichelin too.

The Jag forged wheels are still very heavy, apparently, compared to a lot of aftermarket wheels, and only marginally lighter than the alloys. Swapping to the lighter forged wheels and the PSS's was probably the best thing I've done to a car, it makes for a massive difference in handling. Very noticeable on the 6.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

You've mentioned you want to drive the car all year round. If you plan to drive in the snow, then you'll need to change them out to something all-weather. If you just plan to drive during winter when there is no snow on the ground, but cold weather, the P-Zero's actually do better than most summer tires. I had no issues with the P-Zeros driving when it was in the 20's F outside. Given that, I would still recommend an all-weather tire if you are planning to drive the car during times when it's below freezing. Most performance tires aren't rated for weather below 40F.

There is no tire out there that will give you ultimate grip for weather below freezing and weather at 90F. You have to pick your poison or have two sets of wheels/tires.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:35 AM

Thanks everyone! I was planning on swapping out the P Zeros next winter. Just hoping to use them til then. With all the recent upfront expenses to get her, the additional $1K in new tires was not appealing. Ill drive the CTS AWD on really cold and/or snowy days through the remainder of this Winter.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:56 AM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahjik
You've mentioned you want to drive the car all year round. If you plan to drive in the snow, then you'll need to change them out to something all-weather. If you just plan to drive during winter when there is no snow on the ground, but cold weather, the P-Zero's actually do better than most summer tires. I had no issues with the P-Zeros driving when it was in the 20's F outside. Given that, I would still recommend an all-weather tire if you are planning to drive the car during times when it's below freezing. Most performance tires aren't rated for weather below 40F.

There is no tire out there that will give you ultimate grip for weather below freezing and weather at 90F. You have to pick your poison or have two sets of wheels/tires.
Mahjik is right - Someone once wrote regarding tires that "all season = no season". Two sets (or two cars!) is better because then you aren't always sacrificing performance, whether warm or cold.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (01-31-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,639 Likes on 3,361 Posts

Originally Posted by M3 Wrath
Mahjik is right - Someone once wrote regarding tires that "all season = no season". Two sets (or two cars!) is better because then you aren't always sacrificing performance, whether warm or cold.
+1. Always use the right tool for the right job.

Old 01-30-2021, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

I hear you. I really do.

I hate leaving money on the table and it's against my very nature to waste something that has 'plenty of life on it'.

The problem is, that life is utter crap. It's like trying to wear dress shoes when out jogging. Sure, they'll protect your feet and they have lots of life in them, but when you pick up a pair of running shoes, you'll understand. The difference is you can actually use the dress shoes when wearing a suit. I can find no use for the P-Zeros.

SinF (01-31-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

Anyone who is a fan of the PZeros is in witness protection.

Mbourne (01-31-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by uncheel
That's funny!

Old 01-30-2021, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Cluck (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Hah! You misspelled "witless."

For commuting, the P-Zero Nero is OK, but no better. As soon as any enthusiasm comes into the game, their deficiencies become apparent.

Old 01-31-2021, 09:42 AM
Received 359 Likes on 230 Posts

You would think that with the testing that Jaguar does, they would have discovered a better choice for the OEM tires than the P Zeros. Maybe they get some kind of sweetheart deal from Pirelli that they cannot from Michelin ? I had the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's on my Nissan 370Z and on dry surfaces they gripped like crazy. I was very pleased with their performance. Much better than the OEM Bridgestones for sure.

A set of PS4's will run $1300 + tax, shipping, and installation/balancing so I guess I will drive the P Zero's down to the wear bars on the tread before replacing them. Hard for me to justify spending ~ $1500 to replace new tires on a new car,

Old 01-31-2021, 09:46 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,385 Likes on 1,052 Posts

P Zeros have never done anything to me to make me dislike them, which isn't quite the same as actually liking them.

Old 01-31-2021, 10:14 AM
Received 135 Likes on 82 Posts

Good excuse to do burnouts and donuts on them

M3 Wrath (01-31-2021)
Old 01-31-2021, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
I hear you. I really do.

I hate leaving money on the table and it's against my very nature to waste something that has 'plenty of life on it'.

The problem is, that life is utter crap. It's like trying to wear dress shoes when out jogging. Sure, they'll protect your feet and they have lots of life in them, but when you pick up a pair of running shoes, you'll understand. The difference is you can actually use the dress shoes when wearing a suit. I can find no use for the P-Zeros.
+1. As soon as I got out of break-in period with my F-type I realized that P-Zeros are ****, holding this car back, switched to MPSS and got to enjoy a new car for the second time, because it transformed how the car handles.

To not waste, I sold P-Zeros for 500$ as-is, where is. Funny story - guy who purchased tires ended up being a beer rep from one of my favorite local breweries and he threw in 2x24s of my favorite beer. He was getting it for his 650 BMW.

Last edited by SinF; 01-31-2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-31-2021, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
+1. As soon as I got out of break-in period with my F-type I realized that P-Zeros are ****, holding this car back, switched to MPSS and got to enjoy a new car for the second time, because it transformed how the car handles.

To not waste, I sold P-Zeros for 500$ as-is, where is.
I might just do this. See if there is any local interest before putting too many more miles on them.

Old 01-31-2021, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 376 Posts

I tried to sell our nearly-new rear P Zeros last year...NO TAKERS.

I'm a Waste Not, Want Not fellow, so they are still on there. But, with 10K miles on them, I can REALLY FEEL the decreased 'sticktion' in the cold weather.

Good excuse to do burnouts and donuts on them
They don't NEED an excuse. They slide without the smallest amount of provocation...

Old 02-01-2021, 07:19 AM
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Well if anyone needs the Michelins Costco has them $150 off a set. I normally buy my tires at Discount Tire but saw Costco is running a sale on them currently. I didn't price compare but just an FYI.

Quick Reply: OEM forged wheels/Anyone here actually like the P Zeros?