F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM forged wheels/Anyone here actually like the P Zeros?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I tried to sell our nearly-new rear P Zeros last year...NO TAKERS.
Some suggestions - nobody shopping for used tires for an F-type, so don't list them as "used F-type tires...." instead list them "used tires dimensions x y z". Don't try to sell just 2, people usually looking for a set of 4. Make sure the price is low enough that people are tempted, need to be below 50% of what they would cost new. Post a picture of tires with thread depth measured (e.g. penny in a thread) as miles alone do not tell the whole story.

Old 02-02-2021, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 961 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I'm a Waste Not, Want Not fellow, so they are still on there. But, with 10K miles on them, I can REALLY FEEL the decreased 'sticktion' in the cold weather.
The MP4S get pretty dodgy in the cold. I've never had them out below freezing but great discretion is called for below 40F.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:16 AM
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
The MP4S get pretty dodgy in the cold. I've never had them out below freezing but great discretion is called for below 40F.
Weird that an Ultra High Performance Summer Only Tire gets dodgy in the cold! It's like Unhingd said -
Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. Always use the right tool for the right job.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by M3 Wrath
Weird that an Ultra High Performance Summer Only Tire gets dodgy in the cold! It's like Unhingd said -
I was only pointing out that if someone thought the P-Zero had cold weather issues, they'd be worse with the MP4S.

The following 3 users liked this post by lizzardo:
M3 Wrath (02-02-2021), Mahjik (02-02-2021), scm (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I was only pointing out that if someone thought the P-Zero had cold weather issues, they'd be worse with the MP4S.
I also had issues hammering in screws... when I tried it with both hammer and a wrench, but the wrench was notably worse.

Last edited by SinF; 02-02-2021 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:46 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Don't fret over it. The P-Zero's will be gone in no time. Shame on JLR for putting such a worthless tire on the car. Pirelli must have given them one heck of a deal.

Old 02-02-2021, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
I also had issues hammering in screws... when I tried it with both hammer and a wrench, but the wrench was notably worse.
Clearly you need a bigger hammer.

The following users liked this post:
M3 Wrath (02-02-2021)
Old 02-02-2021, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Some suggestions - nobody shopping for used tires for an F-type, so don't list them as "used F-type tires...." instead list them "used tires dimensions x y z". Don't try to sell just 2, people usually looking for a set of 4. Make sure the price is low enough that people are tempted, need to be below 50% of what they would cost new. Post a picture of tires with thread depth measured (e.g. penny in a thread) as miles alone do not tell the whole story.
I listed them by size on the Marketplace here, and on Facebook Marketplace. Hoped that someone who wanted to buy two 'just to get by, until the fronts wore out' would buy.

Only had one nibble despite posting pics showing tread depth. Was asking 40% of the new price despite more than 50% tread depth remaining.

Oh Well, my mistake was having the suspension aligned after the fronts got down to 'cord' at 17,000 miles.

Old 02-04-2021, 09:46 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by M3 Wrath
Mahjik is right - Someone once wrote regarding tires that "all season = no season". Two sets (or two cars!) is better because then you aren't always sacrificing performance, whether warm or cold.
Disagree. Know what tires are standard on the new C8 Stingray and pull 1 g on the skidpad? All-season Michelins. Ultra high-performance all-seasons are overlooked because everyone assumes they're crap. But ask yourself how you drive and where you live. I live in CT where it gets cold but stays mostly dry and clear. I don't feel the need to go ***-out in every corner.

I run the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my RWD V6 all year round, and I've found they hook up better than the P Zero when the ambient temp is in the 70s and 80s. The P Zeros never quite reach the hot temps needed to get sticky. Then when it's cold, I can safely drive on (ice-free) roads and push the all-seasons tires harder than a dedicated winter. The A/S 3+ can deal with a couple inches of snow (with care), but I have a Volvo on winters for when it's really storming. That said, I still want to upgrade from my 19s to a set of 20s on PS4s because I know it will make a difference in the warm months. But for one choice year-round, it's a lot less of a compromise than you guys think.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:28 AM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderjag
Disagree. Know what tires are standard on the new C8 Stingray and pull 1 g on the skidpad? All-season Michelins. Ultra high-performance all-seasons are overlooked because everyone assumes they're crap. But ask yourself how you drive and where you live. I live in CT where it gets cold but stays mostly dry and clear. I don't feel the need to go ***-out in every corner.

I run the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my RWD V6 all year round, and I've found they hook up better than the P Zero when the ambient temp is in the 70s and 80s. The P Zeros never quite reach the hot temps needed to get sticky. Then when it's cold, I can safely drive on (ice-free) roads and push the all-seasons tires harder than a dedicated winter. The A/S 3+ can deal with a couple inches of snow (with care), but I have a Volvo on winters for when it's really storming. That said, I still want to upgrade from my 19s to a set of 20s on PS4s because I know it will make a difference in the warm months. But for one choice year-round, it's a lot less of a compromise than you guys think.
I think I would have to agree with you that for my style of rather subdued daily driving, an All Season tire will be good for me. I'm intrigued by the reviews, and price, on the Nitto Motivas and might give them a try next Winter. Until then, the P Zeros will have to do. Again, I won't be driving the F type when its below 40. The CTS AWD will handle that duty the remainder of this Winter.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 353 Posts

I agree and in fact, was going to put those on, but they don't make them yet in P255/35/ZR20. They stop at 245. I ended up with Bridgestones, instead. I loved the Falkens, but I need a tire that will give me more than 13k miles.

Old 02-04-2021, 12:13 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Pzeros not good and get snows

i disliked the PZero's. I found they don't corner well.

Now I hate them. I was planning on purchasing snows from a poster here but this winter in MA has been snowless mostly. It rained the other day. I was grocery shopping. went into store at 39 degrees F and left a half hour later at 25 degrees F. Pulled onto highway 495 south. stepped on gas to enter second lane. there were dark areas here and there on the highway. front wheels drove over them with no problem as 550hp R type is front heavy. Rear wheels immediately spun out sending me in to a spin hitting one car and bouncing off sending me through guard rails and down embankment. F type finally stopped 10 feet short of exiting the snowy embankment on other side into north bound traffic. I would have been killed.

Highway was dry. the dark patches were black ice. Moral is i should have purchased snows regardless. they might have made a slight difference on the ice.

My totaled custom ordered 2019 BRG AWD F Type R Convertible:

Get snows if you live in a snow belt. Jag AWD is bullshit

I am heartbroken. Only 12,000 miles. How I loved her. Ironically, i have never had car accidents in my life and in the past 4 years i have had 3 including this one. Because of the aluminum frame the insurance companies declare them totaled even if airbags didn't deploy.

Old 02-04-2021, 02:22 PM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

That is an absolute shame, sorry for your loss. I would be heartbroken too. Thankfully you (and everybody involved) are OK.

Old 02-04-2021, 02:37 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

@Fast Lane That's horrible, glad you are OK. I hope you now see how summer tires in the cold are extremely dangerous. Anything below 50 degrees F leads to decreased traction, and at 25, they are skiis. AWD cannot compensate for improper tires.

The following 2 users liked this post by chowderjag:
Carbuff2 (02-04-2021), giomgio (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

@Fast Lane That's horrible, glad you are OK. I hope you now see how summer tires in the cold are extremely dangerous. Anything below 50 degrees F leads to decreased traction, and at 25, they are skiis. AWD cannot compensate for improper tires.
I'm not advocating for summer tires in the winter, however, ice is the great differentiator of tires. Unless you have Snow & Ice tires (or studded), ice is going to be a problem for any vehicle especially a 500+ HP car with little weight in the rear.

Old 02-04-2021, 05:41 PM

She was delivered an hour ago! Short drive home (3 blocks) and man, is she stiff! Very uncomfortable ride in comfort mode. Its 30 degrees here so the P Zeros must be very hard. At least I hope its the tires!

Old 02-04-2021, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SonofGaladriel
She was delivered an hour ago! Short drive home (3 blocks) and man, is she stiff! Very uncomfortable ride in comfort mode. Its 30 degrees here so the P Zeros must be very hard. At least I hope its the tires!
The F-Type ride is firmer than most cars. It's not a sedan. The chassis has very little give and 20" wheels will give very little sidewall.

Old 02-04-2021, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mahjik
The F-Type ride is firmer than most cars. It's not a sedan. The chassis has very little give and 20" wheels will give very little sidewall.
I understand that and knew that going in, but, I don't recall my test drives feeling this stiff. However, all test drives over the past year have been during the warm months and it has been 4 months since my last test drive.

Old 02-05-2021, 08:03 AM
Received 364 Likes on 233 Posts

I live in the mountains in Southern California at about 6000' elevation. We get snow several times a year. In the summer, the temperature can get into the 90's and if I drive down the mountain to one of the nearby cities the temps can reach 105 degrees in the summer. As I have an AWD SUV as a daily driver, my plan is that my F Type will never leave my garage in the rain or snow. Winter days can be clear, bright and sunny and completely dry, but morning temperatures can be in the 40's. If I want to go for a joyride on one of those 40 degree but clear and dry days, are the P Zero's going to be a liability ?

Old 02-05-2021, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dwight Frye
Winter days can be clear, bright and sunny and completely dry, but morning temperatures can be in the 40's. If I want to go for a joyride on one of those 40 degree but clear and dry days, are the P Zero's going to be a liability ?
Different people will give you different answers. For me, I didn't have any issues with the P-Zero's on dry pavement below 40F. The lowest I've driven the P-Zero's was probably just a little below freezing. I made the mistake of changing out the P-Zero's to something stickier that unfortunately, absolutely cannot be driven at those temperatures. At the time, it seemed like a good idea but it has limited my ability to use my car in conditions I was able to with the P-Zero's.

The 4C comes with a version of P-Zero's as well. I'm keeping the P-Zero's on the 4C for street driving and keeping a second set of wheels for stickier rubber when/if I take it to the track.

Quick Reply: OEM forged wheels/Anyone here actually like the P Zeros?