F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 10:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OEM parts

Sorry if this is already a thread somewhere, did a search and couldn't find one on F Type.

I recently had a engine light issue, turns out to be an O2 sensor. A quick search gives me prices of $95 for a Denso, $150 for Bosch and $259 for OEM. This is my first Jaguar, have had MB and BMW's. On my Z4, there were parts that were actually notorious for failure and had better after market parts than the OEM.

In another thread, a comment was made that O2 sensors are a common issue with F Type, so am wondering if OEM is really the best way to go? How spec driven are O2 sensors? My car is a base 2014, but only has 13k miles on it, a little early for a sensor to be failing. Am wondering if an aftermarket sensor will be comparable, or maybe better? And generally, would appreciate discussion on OEM vs aftermarket, i know i'm not the only one who asks this.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I had one fail in my '16 (bank 2, sensor 3) but it was covered under warranty. Even if you're out of standard warranty I'd think this would be covered under the federal emissions systems warranty. It is an emission control component.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:57 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

O2 sensors are not listed under the Federal Emission Control System Warranty (some components are covered for 8 years/80,000 miles.) I would imagine your 4 year bumper-bumper warranty already expired?

Here's the warranty info:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/92nxhket8x...20160.pdf?dl=0

Old 10-12-2018, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
O2 sensors are not listed under the Federal Emission Control System Warranty (some components are covered for 8 years/80,000 miles.) I would imagine your 4 year bumper-bumper warranty already expired?

Here's the warranty info:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/92nxhket8x...20160.pdf?dl=0
Yes, it expired on July 30, 2018. Pretty much figured it would not be covered, so to the original question: OEM or aftermarket part? Is there a spec difference, and if not, why pay the extra for OEM? I'd likely go with BOSCH vs Denso, but only because i am more familiar with Bosch as a long time auto part manufacturer. It's half the cost, just wondering if Jaguar built in a specific spec to necessitate use of OEM O2 sensors or if it's just part of the hype/scare and usual appeal to emotion without evidence to back it? Curious who makes their sensors? Couldn't find it on Google lol.

p.s., just got off with a Jag dealership, O2 sensor is not covered under emissions warranty, but under the standard warranty, so, sol here lol.

Last edited by tallslenderguy; 10-12-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by tallslenderguy
Yes, it expired on July 30, 2018. Pretty much figured it would not be covered, so to the original question: OEM or aftermarket part? Is there a spec difference, and if not, why pay the extra for OEM? I'd likely go with BOSCH vs Denso, but only because i am more familiar with Bosch as a long time auto part manufacturer. It's half the cost, just wondering if Jaguar built in a specific spec to necessitate use of OEM O2 sensors or if it's just part of the hype/scare and usual appeal to emotion without evidence to back it? Curious who makes their sensors? Couldn't find it on Google lol.

p.s., just got off with a Jag dealership, O2 sensor is not covered under emissions warranty, but under the standard warranty, so, sol here lol.
The Denso or Bosch will be more than satisfactory. If anything like the parking sensors, the OEM O2 sensors are of generic Chinese origin that cost them less than $10 to source.

The following users liked this post:
tallslenderguy (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I figured (incorrectly) that the O2 sensor was a covered emissions system part. Sorry to hear it's not.

I too am familiar with Bosch from years of Saab experience, but I can't fault Japanese parts (Denso). I've never had a problem with Denso, although I have less experience than with Bosch.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 504 Likes on 375 Posts

No Jaguar experience, but some automakers' emissions require a wide-band O2 sensor while others do not.

Anybody know what the specs are on JLRs parts?

Also, I read on another Topic that JLR superseded the O2 part number, so their might be a better specification...Hmmm

Old 10-13-2018, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The Denso or Bosch will be more than satisfactory. If anything like the parking sensors, the OEM O2 sensors are of generic Chinese origin that cost them less than $10 to source.
I called around to all the auto parts store in town, no one had the sensor, so ended up ordering the Denso on Amazon, will arrive tomorrow. Read a few reviews from other Jag owners who have used the same part, all positive. Definitely worth the shot in my mind. $40 for the Denso vs $250 for the OEM. At 6x the cost, seemed like a no brainer to go with the Denso. Now all i have to do is get under the car... guess i'll put my jack stands to use.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:09 PM

For those of you following his saga with bated breath.

I received my $40 down stream (the upstream are more sophisticated/expensive) heated O2 sensor from Amazon on Sunday (free 2 day Prime delivery, online parts stores charged > $10 for delivery, not 2 day). Got my jack and jack stands out, but wasn't really thrilled about crawling under the car or using the stands on it, so i went inside and read (hey, it was Sunday).

I'd called a muffler shop on Friday and asked about cost to install, guy told me $129 labor and couldn't get to me for a week. I demurred. So, this morning, i took my sensor in hand and went searching for a lonely mechanic. Found one, asked if he could install a sensor, told him where it needed to go and he said: "sure." He jacked up my car, put some blocks under the tires, crawled under. Took him about 20 minutes to remove the old one and install the new. Charged me $30. Damn, i wanted to buy him a donut too. Still, that's $90 and hour vs the $387/hour the other guy wanted to charge, and i was happy to pay it.
I noticed the engine light did not go off, tried to cancel it with my BlueDrive, but turns out you cannot cancel "permanent" errors with a BlueDrive. They say that the car will turn it off when it sees there is no more error. It wasn't reading a current error though. I pointed it out to the mechanic and he got his expensive OED2 out and turned the engine light off.

Fixed for $70. cool.

The following 2 users liked this post by tallslenderguy:
Carbuff2 (10-16-2018), jaguny (10-17-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 06:11 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Well played.

The following users liked this post:
tallslenderguy (10-15-2018)