Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Changes and frequency

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jode
Oh, I think i read it has to be in the accessory mode to see oil life. ill do that today Thanks!

Jo
Let us know how you check it on yours as I did not see those details on my '17 model that the other gentleman stated were available to him on his '19. When I put mine into that maintenance mode (hood open, hit Cancel twice, etc) it did not show when the next oil change was due. It only showed the oil levels.

Old 11-09-2018, 01:34 AM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd

How often do you change the oil on that car?
I assume you mean the Volt. I have actually run the engine for about 100 miles in over two years. I can get the mid eighties in range in the summer and close to eighty in our month of winter as an EV. So far I have gone over that one time to visit a friend in the hospital 187 miles away. I still change the oil every year [1st three years are free] because the oil age does matter.

Old 11-09-2018, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
On your question of poking a dipstick down the oil extraction tube, the same question was asked a while ago on the XF forum.
Some ideas but no answer(s), if it is doable then it's gonna take a specially designed dipstick, see this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...light=dipstick
Thanks for the link. I guess you are correct (in that discussion), the extractor tube has too many twists and bends to be effectively used as a guide for a dipstick.

There is more to checking oil than it's level, for some of us "OFs". (Aged, Gassy Folks) We like to see the color and smell the contents...it's all part of the evaluation experience, right or wrong.

On another marque's forums, there is a raging debate regards the effects of Oil Dilution on Direct Injection engines, so I was hoping to give the Jag a sniff and see if I smelled gasoline. (Of course, the Jag's oil capacity has TWICE the amount as those cars, so any detriment would be HALF that other car)

I didn't find any Used Oil Analysis for Jag 3.0L engines on BobIsTheOilGuy just now..

I know there are seemingly endless oil Topics on many forums, so rather than add to the clutter, PM me with links to evaluations or other advice.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 958 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
On another marque's forums, there is a raging debate regards the effects of Oil Dilution on Direct Injection engines, so I was hoping to give the Jag a sniff and see if I smelled gasoline. (Of course, the Jag's oil capacity has TWICE the amount as those cars, so any detriment would be HALF that other car)

I didn't find any Used Oil Analysis for Jag 3.0L engines on BobIsTheOilGuy just now..

I know there are seemingly endless oil Topics on many forums, so rather than add to the clutter, PM me with links to evaluations or other advice.
Here's my oil analysis history, for your dining and dancing pleasure. Most of the time I drive it's long enough to get the oil up to full temperature. I've averaged 30 miles a day over the life of the car. My commute is about 21 miles each way, with lots of slow traffic in the evening.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:27 AM
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Originally Posted by carbuff2
thanks for the link. I guess you are correct (in that discussion), the extractor tube has too many twists and bends to be effectively used as a guide for a dipstick.

There is more to checking oil than it's level, for some of us "ofs". (aged, gassy folks) We like to see the color and smell the contents...it's all part of the evaluation experience, right or wrong.

On another marque's forums, there is a raging debate regards the effects of oil dilution on direct injection engines, so i was hoping to give the jag a sniff and see if i smelled gasoline. (of course, the jag's oil capacity has twice the amount as those cars, so any detriment would be half that other car)

i didn't find any used oil analysis for jag 3.0l engines on bobistheoilguy just now..

I know there are seemingly endless oil topics on many forums, so rather than add to the clutter, pm me with links to evaluations or other advice.
it only gets diluted when injector hang open and dump fuel which is why i always change oil and filter when this happens. Otherwise its fine.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks @Brutal & @lizzardo

Nice to see the Blackstone report, less than 1% gas dilution so that's ONE concern out of the way. (FWIW, Blackstone doesn't analyze gas content accurately according to some critics. Better to use Oil Analyzers.)

Old 11-09-2018, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks @Brutal & @lizzardo

Nice to see the Blackstone report, less than 1% gas dilution so that's ONE concern out of the way. (FWIW, Blackstone doesn't analyze gas content accurately according to some critics. Better to use Oil Analyzers.)
I've been using Blackstone for some years now and know what to expect from their results. I've not seen critical reports on their fuel content analysis, but haven't looked for them. How far off does their test methodology put the results?

Old 11-10-2018, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

Blackstone Labs vs Oil Analyzers Inc. Blackstone's Fuel Dilution Issue - Reno Syn

The issue as I understand it, is that Blackstone doesn't actually measure oil dilution, just estimates it. OA does.

(Consider the source in the link, above. I'm not taking sides, just creating awareness.)

The following users liked this post:
lizzardo (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

(Consider the source in the link, above. I'm not taking sides, just creating awareness.)
That's all I was hoping for. Thanks! I'll read it a bit later once I'm caffeinated properly.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:04 AM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not sure I agree with the "analysis" conducted in the linked. It assumes that the OA results are accurate and by comparison Blackstone must be missing something. One could make an identical assumption that Blackstone is accurate, so OA is fabricating results. Either way, two datapoints with zero testing context aren't enough to mean anything.

Also, side-note, fuel dilution is a big area of concern with diesels, less so with gas engines. It still happens and if it does it's a problem . but it's a lot less likely on a gas engine

Blackstone Labs vs Oil Analyzers Inc. Blackstone's Fuel Dilution Issue - Reno Syn

The issue as I understand it, is that Blackstone doesn't actually measure oil dilution, just estimates it. OA does.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

Here's my two cents, I used to follow the factory recommended intervals on my old X350 and it clogged up my VVT system. No detrimental effect on performance but I had to put up with a nasty racket every time I started the engine. This happened to lots of Range Rovers as well. Nobody had any foreknowledge that long oil change intervals could cause that issue...until it did.

Also, this forum has seen many reports of oil starvation issues with the 5.0 engine. I'm not taking any chances. I check the oil level every week and its changed every 3-5k miles no matter what anyone says. You can make fun of me all you want!

Old 11-15-2018, 08:57 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by XJ8JR
Here's my two cents, I used to follow the factory recommended intervals on my old X350 and it clogged up my VVT system. No detrimental effect on performance but I had to put up with a nasty racket every time I started the engine. This happened to lots of Range Rovers as well. Nobody had any foreknowledge that long oil change intervals could cause that issue...until it did.

Also, this forum has seen many reports of oil starvation issues with the 5.0 engine. I'm not taking any chances. I check the oil level every week and its changed every 3-5k miles no matter what anyone says. You can make fun of me all you want!
I change my oil and filter each year before winter hibernation. It's out of warranty and costs $120 at the JLR dealer - cheap maintenance!

Old 11-16-2018, 08:11 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyCruiser
I change my oil and filter each year before winter hibernation. It's out of warranty and costs $120 at the JLR dealer - cheap maintenance!
Although this thread doesn't really apply to me inasmuch as my 2018 came with five year/50K mile free service (which is way more miles than I'll put on it during that period), your comment brought back old memories. Back in the day when my dad and I ran a service station (many won't remember them) cars were on a 2K mile oil change/filter and lube cycle, yes lube because all of those knuckles and joints in the suspension and steering systems had fittings that required new grease. However, as oil improved and the usefulness of it required less frequent changes I personally went to changing it and the filter every spring and fall. That method enabled me to drive an XJ6 to over 260K miles and a '74 Grand Prix to over 230K with neither having to have an engine repaired or rebuilt; and neither burned oil, though the Jag did go through several bouts of leaking the stuff all over the place.
Okay, nostalgia trip complete, gotta go get ready for my yearly Thanksgiving trip to Sin City, sans SWMBO, thank my lucky stars.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:36 AM
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, here in Canada I had just an oil change, not the service and is was $330.00 plus taxes. I have had mine changed at 8,000km and 15,000km, so about every 5000 miles, anything more just feels wrong.

Old 11-18-2018, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

The generous-size oil sump can allow longer OCIs (Oil Change Intervals)

Comparison: Jag V6 = 7.6 qts...20914 Acura MDX = 5.7 qts...Hemi RAM = 7 qts. (You can convert to liters on your own. )

I STILL believe in yearly OCIs for our collector cars. That translates into around 3000 mile intervals.