Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by mjm3457
Comments on this tread, including oil consumption during break-in, had me concerned. I have 3900 miles on my bought new F-Type Base V6 after 6 months of ownership. So I decided to go down and check the oil level just now. The display shows the oil level at perfectly full. I last drove my car 24 hours ago so it was cold in garage, about 55 degrees F. I have checked the oil at other times and it has always read full, but I have not attempted reading 10 minutes after a hot shutdown.
Like you, my V6 base has been perfectly level with the top mark 100% of the times I've checked it, which is dozens of times over the last 2 years and 2 oil changes. I'd never checked it "hot" and 10 minutes after shutdown until yesterday. Once again, it was was perfectly level w/ the top fill mark.

Either my sensor is "stuck" on that top fill mark or it doesn't make any difference whether you check hot or cold.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-14-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Like you, my V6 base has been perfectly level with the top mark 100% of the times I've checked it, which is dozens of times over the last 2 years and 2 oil changes. I'd never checked it "hot" and 10 minutes after shutdown until yesterday. Once again, it was was perfectly level w/ the top fill mark.

Either my sensor is "stuck" on that top fill mark or it doesn't make any difference whether you check hot or cold.
Checked mine "cold" last night. Right at the midpoint on the gauge after 7 months and 7k miles.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:54 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Mine always showed full whenever I checked. I last checked about two weeks ago, and had my oil changed middle of last week at just over 7000 miles.

And no, there is no dipstick.
Hmm I tried cycling through the options but my oil level option is there but not a selectable option

Old 03-14-2016, 11:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 965 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiztOG43
Hmm I tried cycling through the options but my oil level option is there but not a selectable option
Was the engine running? I think it's disabled unless the engine is stopped. I'd go outside and check, but it's dark and I haven't finished my wine from dinner. Well, mostly the wine. And the fireplace. I'll try to remember to look in the morning.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:00 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Was the engine running? I think it's disabled unless the engine is stopped. I'd go outside and check, but it's dark and I haven't finished my wine from dinner. Well, mostly the wine. And the fireplace. I'll try to remember to look in the morning.
ahh, just tried it out. Mine is showing as Overfilled.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. Thank you for proper use of the Queen's English.

tom-r,
Du hast nur ein halb Liter Ӧl verbraucht, nicht fὓnf.
...und das ist normal während gerade einmal 3000km? ...hast/hattest du das auch?

Old 03-15-2016, 01:53 AM
Default mysterious

that's funnd... checked again one day after and now it looks like that...

how's that possible? such big differences?

..i'll try the "real time reading trick" today...

Old 03-15-2016, 01:54 AM

btw... a little bit an off-topic question maybe... does anybody know how to read-out / display the oil TEMPERATURE?

Old 03-15-2016, 02:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by tom-r

It is a bit strange that it seems to read that big difference, even though it is probabely less than what you think it is (perhaps¨~0.2 litres).

If the first readout was 10 minutes after you shut down the engine, and the last readout was the morning after, some more oil might have run down in the oil pan/sump.

Another thing is that you might get different readings if your car is not parked fully leveled each time. However I guess that your two readings were done whith the car parked on the same spot?

I think the most accurate readings you can do, to check for changes in the oil level, is to check with the car parked at the same place, and after the same time after engine shut down - each time.

Then you will have the same level of the engine, the same oil temperature and the same amout of oil will have had time to run down into the sump.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (03-15-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 06:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 3,365 Posts

...und das ist normal während gerade einmal 3000km? ...hast/hattest du das auch?
Ya..ganz genau.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member

I don't know the answer, but that's a good reason for not adding any oil until it's at or below the minimum mark.

I don't understand the meaning of "live reading" referred to in that picture of the repair manual posted above. I can only conclude that pressing the cruise control cancel button twice is just an alternate method for bring up the oil level display.

Whether you use the menu or cruise control button, what else would any reading be except a "live reading"?

Old 03-15-2016, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member

btw... a little bit an off-topic question maybe... does anybody know how to read-out / display the oil TEMPERATURE?
That's been discussed here several times, and while some maintain there must be an oil temp sensor as an input to the ECU, but there's no apparent way to display it in the car.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member

I tried the procedure in post #36, pressing the cruise control cancel button twice within 2 seconds, and it doesn't work. I also tried checking the oil immediately after shutdown, and I get the gauge w/ no level showing, and an "oil level not available" message.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 3,365 Posts

I tried the procedure in post #36, pressing the cruise control cancel button twice within 2 seconds, and it doesn't work. I also tried checking the oil immediately after shutdown, and I get the gauge w/ no level showing, and an "oil level not available" message.
Having to wait at least 10 minutes before that gauge works is counter-productive for me. For 45 years I have been in the habit of routinely checking the oil when I stop for for fuel. Now, I have to remind myself (which at my age is quite sporadic) that I have to check the oil as I'm rushing out of the house. I think I'll build a dipstick that will fit down the oil suction tube in the oil fill hole. Something similar to this might work:

Old 03-15-2016, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Default Oil Gauge Readings Under Different Conditions

This gauge thing has piqued my curiosity so I've been experimenting over the last couple of days and taken multiple readings under different circumstances:

1) After sitting overnight: Top Mark
2) Driving 30 miles and waiting 10 minutes: Top Mark
3) Overnight sit, 2 minute start, shut down, after 10 minutes: Middle Mark
4) After #3 above, start, park in garage (2 min), wait 2 hours: Top Mark

Obviously, there can be considerable variability in the readings when checking under different conditions.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-15-2016 at 07:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Arne (03-19-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 07:13 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

This gauge thing has piqued my curiosity so I've been experimenting over the last couple of days and taken multiple readings under different circumstances:

1) After sitting overnight: Top Mark
2) Driving 30 miles and waiting 10 minutes: Top Mark
3) Overnight sit, 2 minute start, shut down, after 10 minutes: Middle Mark
4) After #3 above, start, park in garage (2 min), wait 2 hours: Top Mark

Obviously, there can be considerable variability in the readings when checking under different conditions.
That all makes sense. #3 doesn't get the oil hot enough to drain back into the pan quickly. #4 shows that it takes more than 10 and less than 2 hours for the cold oil to drain back. Of course this will change with ambient temp.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
That all makes sense. #3 doesn't get the oil hot enough to drain back into the pan quickly. #4 shows that it takes more than 10 and less than 2 hours for the cold oil to drain back. Of course this will change with ambient temp.
I agree completely w/ your analysis.

The takeaway for me is that you're fine checking cold, or checking per the manual, which is normal operating temp and waiting 10 minutes. Anything else is likely to give a false reading.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:20 PM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I check monthly and no need to add yet

Old 04-13-2016, 06:35 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Funny about checking after driving then waiting 10 minutes.... It always took longer than 10 minutes until the system allowed me to check the oil level.
Not sure but maybe like with the XF..you can check the oil level cold anytime you want..

1. Open the hood (bonnet for those blokes wanting to sound like you're in the UK)

2. get in and close the doors

3. have your key-fob..Push start button without touching brake, don't start car (basically turning on just the car's electrical stuff..)let all your **** settle down..

4. Push the button on the end of turn signal stalk repeatedly until OIL CHECK is displayed..if this fails ..press the Cruise control CANCEL button and repeat step 4.

Last edited by DPK; 04-13-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:57 PM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LynxFX
I drove it like I stole it from day one. Went 10k miles for first service, no issues or abnormal oil usage. YMMV
Yup, whe he said

Quick Reply: Oil consumption