Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Once CPO ... always CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Once CPO ... always CPO?

I have found a 2014 F-Type that had been CPO'd in 2015. That vehicle was apparently traded into a non-Jaguar dealership and is offered for sale around a normal market price.

The only reason I know is was CPO is due to CarFAX listing it as such. I know that I could call my local Jaguar dealer and have them verify it's still covered under CPO by giving them the VIN. Some people say that the CPO transfers with the car but I believe that there is paperwork required to do so and doubt if this particular dealer has ANY idea of what might be required (think Kia or similar dealerships).

So I essentially have two questions:
1) If it was once a CPO, does that status remain with the car regardless of the number of subsequent owners and does it require paperwork to move it from one owner to the next
2) Does the CPO essentially "expire" if sold to a dealership and/or not properly transferred?

I would be willing to work with a dealership to get necessary paperwork processed but I am also VERY familiar with dealerships and KNOW that they don't really care about such things. They simply want to turn their inventory and will often promise the moon and deliver a peanut and... I have enough peanuts

Follow up question: Can I determine the interior color based off VIN numbers like we used to be able to do with older VINs? The pictures of the interior are not good enough for me to determine if it's brogue or Jet. The sales manager says it's a "dark grey with RED stitching" but the listing shows "Brogue with Ivory Stitch". I heard the car salesman say in the background "Yo dude, that may be my bad as I put that in the listing. What's brogue" which gives me even more "warm fuzzies" about it. I mean how would he even know to list Brogue if he doesn't know what it is, right?

This also is listed as an S model but the START button is black rather than the metallic orange. I prefer the black but makes me wonder if some S models came with a certain trim package that deleted the orange colored button. It does appear to have full leather dash and all.

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-12-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:30 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

From the Jaguar website regarding CPO program benefits:

Transferable Warranty

There may come a time when you decide to sell your Jaguar Approved Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle. The new owner will feel assured knowing that the warranty that came with your purchase is fully transferable
But there is always fine print:

See your local authorized Jaguar (Land Rover) Retailer for complete terms and conditions of the limited warranty and service coverage.

Last edited by JackMac; 09-12-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

I believe "dealer" might be a problem. When I traded my CPO '12 SLK55 in on the Jag he told me he could not transfer or sell the balance of the CPO which hadn't even started.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JackMac
From the Jaguar website regarding CPO program benefits:

But there is always fine print:
Yeah, it's that "fine print" that has me concerned. I'll call JLR directly tomorrow & ask about the process (e.g. what I have to do in order to ENSURE that it transfers from the prior owner to me). If it's too much of a hassle I'll just go back to looking at new, old stock and walk away from this used one

so....
no guidance from anyone here with regards to the interior trim labels if they are embedded in the VIN or where I might find them elsewhere on the car? I DID find the VIN lookup utility here on this site but it was not able to provide those details. Car is about 6 hour drive away and I'd hate to get there and THEN "discover" that what looks black to the dealer's eye is actually brogue. I think I am safe though IF it actually has red stitching because I don't think brogue was ever available with red stitch & the VIN tool here doesn't show Brogue as an option in 2014 either

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-12-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:12 PM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I purchased a 2015 F Type R with 18 months remaining factory warranty and 24 months CPO. When I had the car serviced at my dealer the In Service Date and the CPO status pulled up with the VIN.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by HalcyonDays
I purchased a 2015 F Type R with 18 months remaining factory warranty and 24 months CPO. When I had the car serviced at my dealer the In Service Date and the CPO status pulled up with the VIN.
I don't thinkn there is any problem if you bought it from either an individual or a Jag dealer. The area of concern is if it is bought from a non-Jaguar dealer? Did you buy yours through a non-Jag dealer? Sounds like you did not have to execute paperwork in either case?

Old 09-12-2017, 10:31 PM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I did purchase from a Jaguar dealer, but did not (to my knowledge) do anything special to keep the CPO in force. You could also call Jaguar USA's corporate office to confirm.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by HalcyonDays
I did purchase from a Jaguar dealer, but did not (to my knowledge) do anything special to keep the CPO in force. You could also call Jaguar USA's corporate office to confirm.
Yeah, I think that is why yours stayed intact buying it through the Jag dealership but I will call them in the morning to get me some 'eduCA-sion!

Old 09-13-2017, 08:27 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I recall folks here talking about looking VINs up on Topix, though I've not done it myself.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Called JCNA & they confirmed that the extended warranty goes with the vehicle with no need to do any paperwork
Also was able to confirm the interior color

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-13-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:16 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Does it have to go through a jaguar dealer for the sale?

i know porsche cpo will not be honored if sold through a 3rd party dealer. it has to be a porsche dealer or private party sale.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
Does it have to go through a jaguar dealer for the sale?

i know porsche cpo will not be honored if sold through a 3rd party dealer. it has to be a porsche dealer or private party sale.
Anything is possible but the gentleman @ JCNA stated that it is CPO covered so I take it they are not as restrictive as Porsche. Naturally the ORIGINAL CPO was done as part of a Jaguar Deal sale but subsequent sales don't appear to affect the CPO coverage so as the title of this thread original asked, it appears true that ...

Once a CPO, always a CPO regardless of subsequent resales. Naturally anyone buying such a vehicle should ALWAYS validate this understanding & I expect any accidents that may show up between the time of CPO and potential purchase may also be able to impact that coverage.

I have not followed through any further on this one as it was a '14 RWD and my wife has agreed that we should go ahead & spend more for a new, old stock model with AWD so my search continues. The listing I was referencing is for the following car. No negotiations on price were ever entered into as we decided to go for a new car instead of used..

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Code1=JAGFTYPE

If you do go this route ask for "Carter" who is the internet sales manager. The other guys tried but were very un-knowledgable and honestly were of little value.

Manheim wholesale on this car is right at $40K. The CPO coverage is probably worth an additional $1,500-$2K. This is a Hyundai dealership who are currently asking ~$47K but I expect you may be able to buy it for as little as $40K. Good luck

Last edited by ndabunka; 09-13-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:57 PM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

I asked the same thing when I was looking at a prior CPO XJ that had been traded in to a Jag dealer. The CPO warranty stays with the car no matter who buys/sells it. The only catch was that it did not qualify for the CPO special financing rate. They said they would have to Re-certify it (i.e. do the inspections and papetwork) to get it to qualify for the 0.9% financing.