Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting Chrome and rear diffuser in Ultimate Black vs Gloss Black

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 11:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painting Chrome and rear diffuser in Ultimate Black vs Gloss Black

Hi everyone,
This is my first public post on here and I just want to start by saying you all have been a hugely helpful and a great resource and I really appreciate the community on here. I did a lot of searching before posting but I could not find what I am looking for so I was hoping maybe someone on here would have some pics or opinions. I just purchased a 16' manual, base, convertible in triple black with ultimate black paint. It was not my first choice but the deal was crazy good so I bit the bullet. Now I am debating different options as far as painting all the chrome, grille bar, and rear valance and I was wondering if anyone has seen or has a base model in ultimate black with the rear valance and chrome bits painted in matching ultimate black? I know that the black pack does those pieces in gloss black and that would also be the case if I wrapped instead of painted them since I could not get an exact color match with a wrap. But I am pretty OCD and I think the slight difference, even on a small area with gloss back against metallic would be noticeable to me. So does anyone have experience with an ultimate black base model with those parts painted to match? Pictures? Opinions?

My other thoughts/ options were:
1. carbon fiber wrap the chrome bits and just paint the matte black pieces on both ends of the car in ultimate.
2. paint the chrome bits in storm grey and the matte black parts in ultimate (I purchased the gyrodyne wheels and I thought somehow incorporating the grey from the back of the wheels might be something different that could bring the car together without being too flashy)

Any thoughts, cost saving tips, pics, or anything at all would be really appreciated. And for any of you here in the DFW area, I am always up for meeting up! Great to be a part of the community and thanks to you all!

2016 F-type Base 6SP
VAP tune
4H short shifter
Gyrodyne wheels

Old 02-26-2019, 02:40 PM
Received 241 Likes on 173 Posts

I like a guy that thinks through all the details. Personally, don't think the carbon fiber wrap idea would look good on the chrome bits, and I'm not a huge fan of"the whole car was dipped in paint" so ultimate black might be too much. I'd probably just do gloss black on emblems and on the matte finish parts (either by paint or wrap) and appreciate the subtle difference so you get a tad of contrast between the various parts.

The following users liked this post:
unccoda5 (02-26-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chawumba
I like a guy that thinks through all the details. Personally, don't think the carbon fiber wrap idea would look good on the chrome bits, and I'm not a huge fan of"the whole car was dipped in paint" so ultimate black might be too much. I'd probably just do gloss black on emblems and on the matte finish parts (either by paint or wrap) and appreciate the subtle difference so you get a tad of contrast between the various parts.
Chawumba is that your car from that TAG motorsports article? That has been a favorite of mine for a long time! Originally before you did yours and I had seen the SR Auto black convertible with the gold-ish rims and that was the car that made me decide to get the f-type. Then after I got the car, I pu$$ied out on the idea of such a bright wheel and thought maybe you were right on the mark with yours. My idea was to do exactly what you did with satin bronze on the emblems but I was going to take the stock gyrodyne's and have them done in satin bronze and just black out the rest of the car. But I had a friend do some photoshop to show me what it would look like and I could not get a clear idea of how it would turn out. The renderings did not help so I am back to square uno. But thank you for your input, I do get what you mean about the gloss changing it a bit.

Old 02-26-2019, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by unccoda5
Chawumba is that your car from that TAG motorsports article? That has been a favorite of mine for a long time!
Funny, that Tag motorsport article is what got me interested in buying an F type, JLR should sponsor such articles for marketing purposes. Imagine my pleasant surprise when I started looking for a used one and saw that very car for sale and only 30 miles from my house! Took major self control to remain composed and negotiate on price as if I didn't really want it. Anyways, the satin bronze wheels by HRE are amazing - there is shading and a depth of color that looks fantastic against the stratus grey color. Would probably look great against ultimate black as well. And having the emblems matched to the wheel color with its subtle contrast really makes the car more consistent. It now seems jarring to my eye to see a black car with the chrome emblems - sort of silly even - not unlike the stock height springs and factory wheel offsets. Good luck with customizing your car, you can't go wrong starting with a black F type.

Last edited by Chawumba; 02-26-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:28 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Funny, that Tag motorsport article is what got me interested in buying an F type, JLR should sponsor such articles for marketing purposes. Imagine my pleasant surprise when I started looking for a used one and saw that very car for sale and only 30 miles from my house! Took major self control to remain composed and negotiate on price as if I didn't really want it. Anyways, the satin bronze wheels by HRE are amazing - there is shading and a depth of color that looks fantastic against the stratus grey color. Would probably look great against ultimate black as well. And having the emblems matched to the wheel color with its subtle contrast really makes the car more consistent. It now seems jarring to my eye to see a black car with the chrome emblems - sort of silly even - not unlike the stock height springs and factory wheel offsets. Good luck with customizing your car, you can't go wrong starting with a black F type.
"... jarring..."?
I have to respectfully disagree. Just the perfect touch of contrast in a rather classic fashion to deceive the unknowing of what fearsome beast lies beneath the cats meow...

Last edited by IronMike; 02-27-2019 at 12:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by IronMike:
Lani Kai (02-27-2019), Queen and Country (02-27-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by IronMike
"... jarring..."?
I have to respectively disagree. Just the perfect touch of contrast in a rather classic fashion to deceive the unknowing of what beast lies beneath the cats meow...
Long time Iron Mike! Disagreement noted. I'll make an allowance in your case due to the cool storm wheels. For everyone else, 1985 is calling and wants its chrome back. Just kidding, these cars look great in classic, menacing and or sinister trim.

Old 02-27-2019, 12:02 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Long time Iron Mike! Disagreement noted. I'll make an allowance in your case due to the cool storm wheels. For everyone else, 1985 is calling and wants its chrome back. Just kidding, these cars look great in classic, menacing and or sinister trim.
Agreed!

Old 02-27-2019, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
Agreed!
That chrome shows off chrome done right to accentuate a beautiful line, regardless of what past and future trends maybe. Real beauty is timeless.
That's why the 2020 $300k Bentley has it too...and they copied the lines, they dont even have any heritage to it like the Ftype.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:03 PM
Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

I have "de-chromed" many cars, and on a lighter car, black trim looks great. On darker colors though, the black trim can remove the lines of the windows, grill, and such.
If my Jag were white, light blue, or red, I would have ordered the black pack. Since my car is black, the chrome accents the lines IMHO.
And since I have bright silver trim, I feel the wheels needed to match.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
That chrome shows off chrome done right to accentuate a beautiful line, regardless of what past and future trends maybe. Real beauty is timeless.
That's why the 2020 $300k Bentley has it too...and they copied the lines, they dont even have any heritage to it like the Ftype.
This shot of the Bentley is amazing...they simply took the F-Type, realized that its profile could not be made more beautiful, and copied it. And then doubled the price of the Jaguar (plus...) . And it still doesn't look as good as the F-Type.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:23 PM

I'd say this is spot on as well. I'm 35 and chrome reminds me of university and all the tricking out I did of my cars back then. All while listening to master P with two twelves throwing bass in the back of my BMW (oh to be young) . But this car does look great in more flashy set ups as well as more sporty set ups. Hard to go wrong! I'm trying to find that balance of sport while not going too flashy but still trying to show some lines. After seeing what they did on the new 400 sport, it's basically close to my idea of painting the chrome bits storm grey. They use a Grey that matches the wheels on that car and it looks wonderful. PS. Tork Monster that's a great pic! Love the stance you've got on the car.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
That's a f***ing Bentley? At a glance, I thought is was an SVR. At second look, I thought it was an SVR. I don't know If I love that Bentley is getting back to their racing heritage or hate that they just put one filter on a photoshop of an F-Type.

Queen and Country (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 319 Posts
Old 02-28-2019, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sov211

This shot of the Bentley is amazing...they simply took the F-Type, realized that its profile could not be made more beautiful, and copied it. And then doubled the price of the Jaguar (plus...) . And it still doesn't look as good as the F-Type.
I knew you would like that picture, looks like your XK.

One correction, they took the XK and copied it. You remember I made a chart of all the similarities when they released the Bentley as prototype.

One thing they deserve applause for is for keeping alive distinctly British luxury interiors. You know it ended with the XK, Jaguar abandoned luxury and sports, you can only choose. Why Jaguar cant do this is shameful, just the colour alone. What a fantastic space.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,288 Likes on 1,382 Posts

As a point of comparison, the XK in BRG:

True beauty is timeless.

Last edited by sov211; 02-28-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

The Jaguar needed much larger wheels and tires befitting its 510HP and muscular haunches and large body.

Does anyone know what size wheels that Bentley has?

I think the grille and headlights contradict each other. One is round and graceful the other is menacing.

Old 02-28-2019, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by queen and country
the jaguar needed much larger wheels and tires befitting its 510hp and muscular haunches and large body.

Does anyone know what size wheels that bentley has?

I think the grille and headlights contradict each other. One is round and graceful the other is menacing.
275/35-22, 315/30-22

Queen and Country (02-28-2019)