F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The perfect F-Type?

Old 03-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The perfect F-Type?

Just thinking about the perfect F-Type as I play around with the configurator on Jag USA now that the coupe has arrived. The R variant certainly checks off a lot of the boxes, but at a very high price indeed. I think 100k is not bad for what it offers, but there is a lot of competition in the 80-110k market for GT/Sports cars, which is right in the F-Type wheelhouse. Many journalists have mentioned that the V6-S is the "sweet spot" of the F-Type offerings, but for me, it could be sweeter without being over the top.

There seems to me to be a glaring gap between the V6-S and the Type R Coupe, and to the same extent, V6-S and V8-S Roadsters. I know there are more than just engine tweaks for the $12k differential between the base V6 and V6-S, but with more power out of the middle version, it could be "just right." It is certainly encouraging to see that the carbon ceramics are being offered on the S versions now. I'm dreaming of a V6-S Coupe (or Roadster with the 2nd gen e-diff), Carbon-ceramics and 420-440hp. Top it off with a robust, yet smooth, manual tranny at the currently offered price. Oh, and figure out a way to get some of that V8 soundtrack out of the tailpipes, even with the sport exhaust the V6 just doesn't compare. I know I may be dreaming but that's what you get in some form or fashion from the competition. Add all those up and with the looks and exclusivity of the Jag, and it would really be the best of the lot.

This car would square off perfectly with the C-7 convertible, 911 or Cayman and the upcoming M4. Leave the Type R and R-S to battle with the upcoming Z-06 and GT3/Turbo and upcoming version of the R8. The 380hp V6 just isn't powerful enough to overcome the weight penalty compared to the German and American offerings. But, get it where it can keep up with the competition on the twisty stuff due to the improved chasis/e-diff, lighter weight of the V6 and ceramics and more hp and especially torque and it would win on more than just style and good looks. Heck, it might even hold its value better too.

Anyway, just thinking out loud. I'm a year off from making my order, so we'll see just how things shape up once the Coupe hits the road.