F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance Clutch/Flywheel Anyone?

Old 01-10-2018, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Jag has done this probably to prevent numbskulls from shock loading the drive train by lifting suddenly without depressing the clutch.
Modern cars should be able to withstand this. This is also why engine mounts provide both compression and decompression resistance. If drive train cannot survive high RPM transition from WOT to closed throttle, then it is not adequately hardened.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Modern cars should be able to withstand this. This is also why engine mounts provide both compression and decompression resistance. If drive train cannot survive high RPM transition from WOT to closed throttle, then it is not adequately hardened.
I agree with you, but Jag appears to be using the computer to compensate for an under engineered driveline.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:26 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with you, but Jag appears to be using the computer to compensate for an under engineered driveline.
I didn't take this feature as making up for an inadequate driveline, it's more of a comfort feature. If someone isn't used to driving a manual, keeping it at the correct RPM for the next gear for half a second makes the shift up go more smoothly.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

Just to make sure we don't create confusion with this discussion. F-type DOES NOT offer rev-matching functionality.

Old 01-11-2018, 02:41 PM

Just to make sure we don't create confusion with this discussion. F-type DOES NOT offer rev-matching functionality.
Ok now I AM confused! What do you call what it has then? When I put in the clutch, it'll automatically hold for a half second at the RPM of the next gear. Is that not rev-matching?

Old 01-11-2018, 02:45 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Jaguar claims that the automatic does. At least, in this document, under 'Dynamic Launch', they imply that all that dynamic launch does is not do rev matching, for more violent shifts. If you believe it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wskjex70o2...ntrol.pdf?dl=0

Old 01-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by approx
Ok now I AM confused! What do you call what it has then? When I put in the clutch, it'll automatically hold for a half second at the RPM of the next gear. Is that not rev-matching?
What year is your car?

Old 01-11-2018, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

I call it a 60 pound flywheel.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:14 PM

What year is your car?
I call it a 60 pound flywheel.
No, it very specifically and intentionally hangs at a very specific RPM for a portion of a second. I'll take a video next time I'm in the car since neither of you seem to believe me!

Old 01-16-2018, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

No, it very specifically and intentionally hangs at a very specific RPM for a portion of a second. I'll take a video next time I'm in the car since neither of you seem to believe me!
If this were done for the purpose of rev matching on the up shift, they would have allowed the rpm to drop a few hundred rpm before causing it to hang.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 953 Likes on 714 Posts

If this were done for the purpose of rev matching on the up shift, they would have allowed the rpm to drop a few hundred rpm before causing it to hang.
I agree, and since that's not what it does, I don't think that's why it's doing it. It's repeatable and consistent enough that I've adapted to not have it happen. I'll have to deliberately try to induce it now to see if the VAP tune has eliminated it.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:47 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

That's what my 2017 seems to do. But it could all be in my head.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by caviarjag
That's what my 2017 seems to do. But it could all be in my head.
Could well be. I never hesitated long enough between upshifts to notice this phenomenon, and on downshifting I take matters into my own feet with an extra clutch pedal pump.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:07 AM

That's exactly what it does! If I wait, it drops the rpm to where it needs to be for the next gear, holds it there for a bit, and if I don't shift in time, then it drops it all the way to idle.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:51 AM

Took a while, but here's the video proof...!

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 05:28 AM
Veteran Member

I never noticed that. Does that hang always occur at around 2700rpm or does it depend on the rpm at which the shift is initiated?

Old 01-27-2018, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

If so, maybe VAP can eliminate the effect. Jag has done this probably to prevent numbskulls from shock loading the drive train by lifting suddenly without depressing the clutch.
No need to eliminate the effect. I played with it today. It does indeed hang for a second at an engine speed based on the road speed and next higher gear. The reason I never noticed it is that I typically complete an upshift in half the time it takes for the engine to slow down to that hang point. However, there may be some real value to having that hang point when the lightened flywheel is installed. One of the challenges of driving a lightened flywheel would already be addressed.
BTW, the clutch/flywheel builder will have the parts to measure by next Wednesday. The OEM clutch is 18 lbs and the flywheel is 38 lbs.

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-27-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:59 AM

No need to eliminate the effect. I played with it today. It does indeed hang for a second at an engine speed based on the road speed and next higher gear. The reason I never noticed it is that I typically complete an upshift in half the time it takes for the engine to slow down to that hang point. However, there may be some real value to having that hang point when the lightened flywheel is installed. One of the challenges of driving a lightened flywheel would already be addressed.
BTW, the clutch/flywheel builder will have the parts to measure by next Wednesday. The OEM clutch is 18 lbs and the flywheel is 38 lbs.
Beyond quick shifting, it's also hidden by shifting at a higher RPM. It seems the "timer" for it starts when the clutch is depressed, not when the engine reaches the specific RPMs for the next shift. Shifting at higher RPM's (where there is more RPM spread between gears) means the engine may not have time to reach the hang point before the timer runs out and it won't hang at all. In my video, you can see that it holds for a very short time on the first shift for that reason.

Back on topic - this is an exciting project! I will definitely be interested in a lightened clutch/flywheel when the time comes for replacement.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:55 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Good to know I am not crazy. I only ever noticed when driving around town and making gentle shifts or running out first and second, letting up and then skip shifting right into fourth. You definitely wouldn't notice if you are on the car all the time.

Last edited by caviarjag; 01-29-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by caviarjag
You definitely wouldn't notice if you are on the car all the time.
yeah...that’s me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Performance Clutch/Flywheel Anyone?