F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

project 7 at Annapolis Jaguar dealership

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 02:36 AM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts
For those of you that are interested to see how the Bimini hood comes off and is stowed...

Old 10-23-2015, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Why can't it go in the now massively accessible trunk?

It may or may not, it is as wide as the car itself almost. Even empty the trunk is not deep and the window is quite tall. I do not know and until someone can confirm I am not sure it will fit. At the very least it will be a challenge on a road trip to have a curved piece of plexiglass and luggage in the trunk and NOT scratch the plexiglass.

**** edit: Haha. Just saw the video, well there goes your "large" trunk space, solid solution though, CF framed window pieces.

Last edited by Schwabe; 10-23-2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member

Also just noticed that they have to make a different trunk lid piece for left and right hand steered cars, OBVIOUSLY, just did not think of that before ....

Old 10-23-2015, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

It does look well-engineered.

The video had me chuckling by the time it reached installation "step 8." I've owned a number of canvas top/plastic-windowed Jeep Wranglers over the years, and by the time I had the top up and secured, my passengers, myself, and the entire interior were saturated.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:12 AM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwabe
It may or may not, it is as wide as the car itself almost. Even empty the trunk is not deep and the window is quite tall. I do not know and until someone can confirm I am not sure it will fit. At the very least it will be a challenge on a road trip to have a curved piece of plexiglass and luggage in the trunk and NOT scratch the plexiglass.

**** edit: Haha. Just saw the video, well there goes your "large" trunk space, solid solution though, CF framed window pieces.
OK, so at least 2 of them must have come in through the port of Baltimore recently, because my dealership in Hartford, CT also has one on the showroom floor awaiting delivery to the owner. I got a pretty in-depth walk-through from my salesman. The rear window is a 3 piece setup, as seen in the video, and it comes with a bespoke storage case for storing in the trunk or elsewhere - no chance of scratching it in there.

Some other nice touches: In place of the owners manual is a brushed aluminum box containing a signed authentication certificate and a complete manifest of the parts that make-up that particular car, along with the signatures of everyone that had a hand in assembling it for the lucky owner. There is no engine cover on this car. Not sure why, minimal weight savings, and the aluminum cover over the supercharger doesn't look all that great anyway. It's not like you get to see the intricate intake manifolds or anything. I would have thought they'd do a CF engine cover to match all the other CF accents in the car. The car is supposedly lower than a standard f-type, but it's very hard to tell. The gap at the wheel well appears very similar. The rear springs are actually at a lower spring rate than standard - maybe the engineers realized the current setup for RWD is slightly over sprung and under damped.

Overall, for $175k, It's a great bargain. Wish I had the coin. It's going to reward it's owners with some great driving, and if maintained well, I could only anticipate it appreciating in value given the limited quantity of them. I suspect an owner could flip one now for a decent profit, and my dealer was pretty sure JLR did not require a Ferrari style contract forbidding the owner from doing just that.

I'll post some pics later today of the BRG one I got to see up-close.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:15 AM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Can someone find out the VIN?

Old 10-23-2015, 07:52 AM
Default Pics of BRG Project 7 in Hartford, CT

Pics. Sorry for the quality. Cramped space in the showroom, and not very good lighting...

The following users liked this post:
Cambo (10-25-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 08:25 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by duprey26
No bumper, but the crossbar clearly visible.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by mshedden
No bumper, but the crossbar clearly visible.
Yes. Seeing this side-by-side with the standard f-type made me certain that this can be done on our cars. Anyone in the northeast have a laser scanner and 3-d printer handy? We can scan this Project 7 in Hartford and go into production for the aftermarket parts...

FYI, the parts manager was there when I made this comment on the showroom floor, and he said he already searched the parts database with the same thought. So far, no replacement parts for Project 7 vehicles. Probably all special-order only...

Last edited by duprey26; 10-23-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Schwabe (10-23-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

looking at the even rarer XKR-S GT, nope, will not increase in value ... yes all exterior pieces and at least the top part of the center console is CF, odd not to add an already existing CF piece such as the engine cover.

As for installing the top, in a down pour drive until your find an over pass. Jeep was a slow cover to put on too. First cover interior with the canvas, then install the rear window but yes it all will be wet, including the trunk and the bespoke bags the pieces come in.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:51 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,078 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Foosh and Zach need to set up 'audit rooms' like the SVO center has in the video. That's quite a space.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Foosh and Zach need to set up 'audit rooms' like the SVO center has in the video. That's quite a space.
Good idea! All I'm currently missing is the side lighting.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:24 AM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Car comes with an audit room!

Old 10-23-2015, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Schwabe
As for installing the top, in a down pour drive until your find an over pass. Jeep was a slow cover to put on too. First cover interior with the canvas, then install the rear window but yes it all will be wet, including the trunk and the bespoke bags the pieces come in.
My Cobra had no top or side windows, and I frequently got caught in the rain. Driving fast kept us remarkably dry, but at some point you have to get off the highway and deal with stops.

I had water up to a couple of inches deep in the footwells on a couple of occasions, and the wave action created by starting and stopping was always fun. I installed drain plugs under the carpet of each footwell, and pulled the wool carpeting out to dry after every good soaking.

I did have a fairly water-tight tonneau cover and could leave it parked in the rain keeping the passenger compartment 90% dry.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That carbon fiber rear diffuser is amazeballs. Anyone wonder if it will mate up to a coupe R?

Old 10-23-2015, 08:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts
Default Went on Safari and bagged a Big Cat Today

Schwabe, Thanks for the intell.

Same size wheels and tires. It does sit at least an inch lower than the V6S.

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-23-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Schwabe (10-26-2015)
Old 10-23-2015, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts
Default The Cat's last viewing before it goes to its new den

Here are some final pictures from Annapolis that my son and I took tonight. New owner put $10k deposit down more than a year ago. It heads out first thing in the am. Nice to have had a chance to get "up close and personal" with this car.

Note how they hid the cross bar.

My son begging me to get one.

Goodnight

The following 2 users liked this post by Mbourne:
Cambo (10-25-2015), Foosh (10-23-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 06:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

I have access to a complete Project 7 front bumper assembly. The one question I have is regarding the front park aid. Where are the sensors located on the "7" ?

Old 10-24-2015, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts
Default Sensors

Originally Posted by JgaXkr
I have access to a complete Project 7 front bumper assembly. The one question I have is regarding the front park aid. Where are the sensors located on the "7" ?
I have a photo somewhere but the were on the far left and right air intakes just behind the grill mesh.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks for the video. It took about as long as putting on the top for my dad's 63 Triumph Spitfire he used to have. It's top was water resistant, not water-proof though.

Quick Reply: project 7 at Annapolis Jaguar dealership